Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

From what I hear we're not necessarily abandoning the two-gap system. We're going to utilize more one-gap. Now, I haven't heard if that's because we're going to be in more of a 4-2/2-4 or if we're going to run a combo of the LeBeau 2-gap 3-4 and Bum Phillips 1-gap 3-4.

My guess? We were in our 2-4 for roughly, what, 60% of D snaps last year? I'd bet my bottom dollar we're going to build our defense around that unit a heck if a lot more with the overhangs having force and Rak/Kerrigan being able to go get the QB.

But guessing at this stage is always dangerous.

TomCNFLCapHit @tomcblock 58s

So.... I wonder when the @DPENN70 news will break. Hmmmmmm #Redskins

Jesse Wyand @SkinsfanJW21 2m

@tomcblock @DPENN70 are you trying to throw fans into a frenzy or know something lol

TomCNFLCapHit @tomcblock 1m

@SkinsfanJW21 @DPENN70 #Redskins fans are always in a frenzy so let's agree on that.

TomCNFLCapHit @tomcblock 2m

@tambascosauce69 @DPENN70 just wait and see

TomCNFLCapHit @tomcblock 58s

So.... I wonder when the @DPENN70 news will break. Hmmmmmm #Redskins

Jesse Wyand @SkinsfanJW21 2m

@tomcblock @DPENN70 are you trying to throw fans into a frenzy or know something lol

TomCNFLCapHit @tomcblock 1m

@SkinsfanJW21 @DPENN70 #Redskins fans are always in a frenzy so let's agree on that.

TomCNFLCapHit @tomcblock 2m

@tambascosauce69 @DPENN70 just wait and see

Interesting Cali.  We need to sign Penn bad.

I'm hoping the parameters of a deal for Penn were already in place from discussions over the last couple of days, and today is basically fly in, pass the physical, sign the contract and job done.

You and me both brother.:)

This is the only signing that bugs me.  He doesn't seem to be priced right to me.  Hakeem Nicks and Thurmond get paid less than this guy.

Edit:  Just noticed who I was responding to.  We've debated this one some pages back and I recall your take.  So yeah if this was all Jay Gruden making the call, and the FO wasn't in the mix, OK I'll see it as a blank slate and let it ride.  But its hard for me to picture it went down that way completely, guess we will never know.

And please don't take that as me being the biggest fan of the signing either, of them all this is my least favorite. The guy I was responding to made this FA period out to be business as usual as if Vinny was still there. 

I have no idea how much it would cost for Penn but my guess is we can cover his salary in 2014 by cutting Chester and Polumbus (combined $5.2 million).

Plus we have about $10 million in cap space ... and only needing $500k for draft picks to fit into the Top 51 and $4m for in-season and PS players ... we still have about $5.5 million to spend on FA ... which I'm guessing is reserved for Clark/Spencer/et al

From what I hear we're not necessarily abandoning the two-gap system. We're going to utilize more one-gap.

KDawg, since you're one of the few people I know understands the difference, what is the difference between the 2-gap vs 1-gap system and how would it affect our DL and LBs?  I know Hatcher played better in the 4-3, apparently because it's a 1-gap type of defense, but I have no idea what that means. lol

Long arms is only an attribute for a press man corner and Amerson is NOT a press man corner he is an off man corner. What good is long arms if you're not going to be in the face of the WR? You do know it is illegal to put your hand on the WR past 5 yards?

Amerson was viewed as a FS by Mike Mayock and he is one of the most respected scout men not linked to an NFL team out there. Again Amerson playing FS isn't out of position he can play cornerback and FS but his skill set is more suited for FS. 

Given that he's never played FS in his life, it's out of position. I respect Mike Mayock as well, but just because he says it's a good idea, doesn't make it so. We've not heard anything out of Redskins Park that indicated they agreed with Mayock's assessment. 

John Keim @john_keim 1m

FYI: penn is at redskins park. Arrived short time ago. Visit will spill into Monday, source says

Everett Will @DCAbloob 24m

We have a sudden rush of D.C. sports reporters following @DPENN70. Anything we should know?

TomCNFLCapHit @tomcblock 18m

@DCAbloob @DPENN70 yes.

Comes with the territory of being on twitter if you ask me. Not sayings its right, but well, it just comes with the territory...

Anyway, good to see Bruce is playing hardball. Under previous regimes, Clark would have signed days ago. Hopefully the $$$ demands drop and some middle ground is found.

Random hilarity thought... If we inked Rak to a home town discount of sorts, I wonder what we could get out of the Raiders in a trade. With all the sacks he gets against them factored in of course. They can have Rob Jackson but i want a backup plan. 

Interesting about Spencer, sounds like he likes to skip training camps.

I am wondering more about Lauvao. I hope he doesn't become redundant, what with our backup guards from last year bulking up and looking to prove something, looking to snag 2 spots. Even LeRib seems focused. We have three hungry ;) guards from last year that maybe never got a chance, that bulked up should be presumed more powerful players and able to handle basic pass pro duty. 

I am thrilled to hear that Kory is bulking up. I have been a critic and am ready to eat crow. I didn't know he was playing out of position. 

Sounds like Penn is next in Allen's sights. 

Random hilarity thought... If we inked Rak to a home town discount of sorts, I wonder what we could get out of the Raiders in a trade. With all the sacks he gets against them factored in of course. They can have Rob Jackson but i want a backup plan. 

We're not going to trade Rak but if we were, it would be with the tag. If we sign him to a long-term deal and then trade him, we'd be on the hook for all of his guaranteed money with nasty salary cap ramifications.

Donald Penn ha llegado hace poco a DC, seguramente cene con parte del staff y mañana se hablará de números en el Park. Esperaremos.

For those of you who don't habla espanol, I think it translates to:

"Donald Penn, Ha! Let go and do have a little a DC sugarmint Jon Cena with part of the staff, why? Tomorrow see speak of numerous in the park Spearmint."

Archived