Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

I'm not even going to pretend to know what the hell is going on with Fred and his playing time.  But it's real unfortunate.  The Skins seem to have a lot of leverage here, so why don't they make this work? He's really at this team's mercy so can't they find a way to motivate him to, pardon the pun, "play ball." 

I know this is a real simplistic rant, but the little I know, he is a talent at the position and he did have some nice connections with Robert before he went down. 

Kind of frustrating that both sides can't find a way to make this work. He is totally wasting away and it just does not make sense. 

I know he's a knucklehead of the first degree, but he's got too much ball in him to sit this damn much.  Special teams be damned ... 

Has there been any talk of Baltimore being interested? They've already made one addition this year in Monroe (a much greater catch than Davis) and they are very thin at TE unless they've become content with old man Clark out there catching passes. 

. Seems to get open no drops, 

Not the Davis I recall. I remembered a lot of drops and a few INTs from balls that bounced out of his hands. So I had a look and my recollection was correct.

From 2010 (1st link below)

"Over the last three years, no one has dropped a higher percentage of passes than Fred Davis, which helps to explain why he hasn’t been able to push on and claim more playing time. A stark contrast to his Redskin teammate Chris Cooley, who finished ninth.  Instead he is joined at the bottom by serial dropper, Brandon Pettigrew, and recently cut Daniel Graham."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/25/drop-percentage-tight-ends/

This link from 2012 shows he was still one of the worst for drops in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/03/three-year-drop-rate-tight-ends/

Not the Davis I recall. I remembered a lot of drops and a few INTs from balls that bounced out of his hands. So I had a look and my recollection was correct.

From 2010 (1st link below)

"Over the last three years, no one has dropped a higher percentage of passes than Fred Davis, which helps to explain why he hasn’t been able to push on and claim more playing time. A stark contrast to his Redskin teammate Chris Cooley, who finished ninth.  Instead he is joined at the bottom by serial dropper, Brandon Pettigrew, and recently cut Daniel Graham."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/25/drop-percentage-tight-ends/

This link from 2012 shows he was still one of the worst for drops in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/03/three-year-drop-rate-tight-ends/

Moreover, he's not the athlete that people pretend he is. When I see people saying Fred Davis is a down field threat, I wonder if those people ever watch football.

Guys, he's not playing because he's not very good and he's not a Shanny guy. If he was that good, it wouldn't matter whether or not he's a Shanny guy. It's not rocket science.

A good friend who played at Florida and still lives there called me when the Redskins drafted Jordon Reed. He told me that Fred Davis was done and that the Redskins had just pulled off the steal of the draft. "This guy could play back up QB in the NFL or be a slot WR, as a TE he will he kill teams. He was mismanaged at Florida after the coaching change but he has mad skills". I told him the Redskins had bigger needs and he disagreed. He said "Fred Davis as been nothing but a head case, and seems to be a locker room problem, I bet they trade or cut him before the year is out". I told him I would take that bet, one dinner for the winner and he agreed.  Seems now my sure thing could be in danger. Rumors have him on the trading block but his value is much less then many would have guessed. Green Bay is said to have offered a 5th round pick for him and there is talk about buffalo trading their problem child Safety to us for Davis (hurt foot). My best guess if that we will not cut him but any real offer will be taken by Oct 29th. (That would be a 4th round or higher).

I think that Shanahan was trying to get Fred's attention by making him inactive to motivate him.  Seems like it might have worked somewhat as he has had excellent practices this week:

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo 37m

Shanahan said Davis "has had an excellent week of practice."

Until the O-line improves it is almost certain that when there are 2 TE's in the game, one is staying in to block.

With that said, the advantage of Davis & Reed on the field at the same time is they would both draw the attention of the defense as they really would have to straight up guess which one is going out on a route and who is staying in.

Mike Shanahan from today's presser: 

On if he has talked with tight end Fred Davis about his role:

“Yeah, I talked to Fred the last couple weeks – sat down with him – especially when he was inactive about what it takes to play in this league, responsibilities, accountabilities, why people do play, why they don’t.”

On what he wants to see from Davis:

“I’m not going to go through it. I’m just saying I sat down with Fred and I told him why he wasn’t dressing and, if he wanted to dress, what he had to do.”

And some people want to claim that Fred Davis hasn't had an attitude/mental approach problem. From the comforts of being behind the computer, mind you

This may not be appropriate for this thread so I'll apologize in advance.

Anyone who wants to see Shanny through a players eyes should read the book "Slow Getting Up" by Nate Jackson. He played for Shanny 4-5 years including his last year in Denver. It also gives a good incite into injuries in the NFL & what players will do to keep play.

What I learned from the book is Shanny is a players coach. Do the right things, do what the coaches ask you to do, and Shanny will take care of you. If not, you're gone. Pretty simple stuff. It's apparent to me that Freddy either is: A) too dumb to understand what needs to be done; B ) doesn't care/chooses not to do what is being asked of him; C) is physically incapable of doing what is being asked of him. I think its a combination of A & B.

Shanny doesn't go out searching for reasons to cut people or put them on the bench. Players make that decision for him.

Or it could be none of the above.

Could be as simple as: Reed is the future, Fred is the past.

Yep... just look at the believers  -

ESPN game tape guru Ron Jaworski believes Jordan Reed "will be sensational" in the Redskins' offense, and compares him to Aaron Hernandez.
Reed is playing the old Shannon Sharpe/Owen Daniels role in Shanahan & Son's passing attack. It's a highly productive position, and essentially the No. 2 receiver behind X receiver Pierre Garcon. "He’s one of the guys that jumps off the tape at you," Jaws said of Reed. "We were talking here, he reminded us on the field of an Aaron Hernandez. He has that kind of wide receiver movement for a big guy. This guy is going to scare the hell out of defenses." Oct 25 - 9:26 AM
Source: ESPN.com

This may not be appropriate for this thread so I'll apologize in advance.

Anyone who wants to see Shanny through a players eyes should read the book "Slow Getting Up" by Nate Jackson. He played for Shanny 4-5 years including his last year in Denver. It also gives a good incite into injuries in the NFL & what players will do to keep play.

What I learned from the book is Shanny is a players coach. Do the right things, do what the coaches ask you to do, and Shanny will take care of you. If not, you're gone. Pretty simple stuff. It's apparent to me that Freddy either is: A) too dumb to understand what needs to be done; B ) doesn't care/chooses not to do what is being asked of him; C) is physically incapable of doing what is being asked of him. I think its a combination of A & B.

Shanny doesn't go out searching for reasons to cut people or put them on the bench. Players make that decision for him.

This book and Stephen Fatsis' A Few Seconds of Panic give pretty good insight into Shanahan's mind. He builds teams based on his own image, targeting football-lovers with great work ethic and discipline.

I took this down too from Jackson's book: "I change into my new Broncos sweats and realize what was missing in San Francisco. The guys here are enjoying their work The locker room is lively and loose. Everyone is friends: white guys, black guys, all guys. I didn't realize it at the time, but that was Mike Shanahan's doing. He brought in good personalities, not just good football players"

Shanahan is also somewhat notorious for holding grudges and not forgetting. It's likely for the reasons you mentioned, Davis was never one of Shanny's 'guys.'

And then, if you read the ESPN NFC East blog double coverage Skins-Broncos, Jeff Wegwold throws this out: "But when they're right and in rhythm, there are defensive coordinators who say the Broncos are as close to unstoppable as the league has to offer because they routinely have four pass catchers in the pattern who can consistently beat one-on-one coverages."

This much seems almost obvious, but the point is this -- Reed has the talent and ability to consistently beat one-on-one coverages. Davis hasn't done so thus far this season. And given how much we play with a fullback, as opposed to Denver's 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 HB set, we already have one less potential pass-catcher on the field. I'd like to think we'll see Davis return to the offense at some point this season, maybe in a division game (or a Shanny rivalry game) where the opposing coaches haven't seen us use him and Reed together on film.

But for talent reasons, schematic reasons, and mental approach reasons, Davis is a goner. It's a shame he never fully realized his 2nd round potential

I dont know what is up with Davis he looked good before he got hurt but there has always been rumors he was lazy. Shanahan looks his practice players. I bet he would have cut Riggins because he was notoriously bad practice player. 50/50 Gardner, Beck and others were great at practice and bombed in games

I remember when we drafted Davis,Thomas and Kelly with our 3 #2's

con on Thomas was he was Raw

con on Davis was he was lazy

con on Kelly was his knees

Vinny  just go the pros vs cons mixed on the scouting report.  I bet Vinny's whole problem was he had dyslexia

I also noted watching the vids how Kyle framed it as totally strategic with no "behavioral" elements (on Davis) but MS gives obvious emphasis on accountability too, in his comments.

Yep, apparently there are "responsibilities, accountabilities" issues with Fred, according to MS.  Did Fred refuse to play Special Teams? 

I dont know what is up with Davis he looked good before he got hurt but there has always been rumors he was lazy. Shanahan looks his practice players. I bet he would have cut Riggins because he was notoriously bad practice player. 50/50 Gardner, Beck and others were great at practice and bombed in games

Riggins was a proven commodity over a number of years.

Fred Davis shouldn't even be spoken in the same sentence.

Archived