Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

If I had to get rid of one of our 4 tight ends it would be Davis. Reed is clearly our best receiving tight-end, Niles Paul is arguably the only guy on special teams worth a penny, and Logan Paulsen is just a beast at blocking (he's basically a fast O-lineman) and has really good hands.

A torn Achilles will do that. It's harder to come back from than a blown knee. Good thing they didn't treat RG3 the same way.

If by the smallest possibility he is back next season with the skins, would he be able to be 100% by then? Or is it impossible to come back fully from an Achilles injury?

It's hard to make it in the NFL.  If a player is not being played often, usually it means there were problems in practice and preparation that made them be lower on the depth chart.   Whatever problems Davis is having doing that job, it's on him to fix that because the way things are going he is going to have to take a big salary cut and stop talking about how much he deserves to be paid.

Somebody has probably said this but buffalo wanted Davis and we need a safety and jairius Byrd Hates his team. Ship them a 5th rounder and Davis

You do realize that unlike Fantasy Football there is this thing in the real NFL world called the salary cap and the Skins could barely afford to take the cap hit from trading Davis much less fitting Byrd's salary under the cap. 

Ugghhhh how is it possible that he's not good anymore?? What happened to his potential????

It never materialised. He looked like he might have the potential to put up monster numbers but this is his sixth year in the league. Yesterday was Jordan Reeds sixth game in the league and he did what Davis always threatened to do, but never actually did.

This off season it will be time to move on. I don't see any trade market for Davis.

Davis in the game with Reed or maybe ever, tells the defense we are passing. The Shanahan's design their teams to make teams think we will run. Panic alarms sound with too strong a pass look.

Paul gets a lot of snaps. It's more than teams. We would rather have Paul selling run, even if Paul ends up in pass patterns and is not as effective at Davis getting open / holding the ball.

I do not believe Davis stopped studying, is rusty, sucks etc. Reed has passed him on the depth chart, and our offense lives off showing run. Kyle probably fears teams knowing we will pass with Reed in.

Lucky for him, they can't stop Reed. I think he can relax a bit, and keep exploring options in the passing game that work, without the mandatory deception that we are really running.

One thing about play action, the guys actually covering our receivers, the corners, don't buy into play action at all.

Its pointless to discuss Davis in our offense any more, since he is likely inactive moving forward.

I want more Reed Paulsen, and less Paul Paulsen. 

From Shanahan's comments, for this game they decided they needed an extra body at ST over two pass catching TEs. Given that they put 45 points on the board, you'd have to say that they didn't miss Fred. I don't think it necessarily means Fred is done, it's just that Reed is playing better and for whatever reason the coach isn't putting the two of them on the field at the same time. Maybe if the offense had been running up 40+ points every week Shanahan would now be more willing to experiment, but I think from now on he'll go on offense with whatever worked last time until someone stops it.

but why would they trade for him? just wait til the offseason and give him money. pretty sure if there is a bidding war it wouldn't be high at all.

I will take a stab at it.

Injuries? Finley last I checked was carted off yesterday. Concussion before that.

Because Green Bay's goal remains to win a super bowl this year. Not this offseason.

Because he can be had on the cheap?

Because Davis may be a marked improvement over Quarless?

Because he is worth a 7th?

I will take a stab at it.

Injuries? Finley last I checked was carted off yesterday. Concussion before that.

Because Green Bay's goal remains to win a super bowl this year. Not this offseason.

Because he can be had on the cheap?

Because Davis may be a marked improvement over Quarless?

Because he is worth a 7th?

No. Sorry. Green Bay hardly ever signs higher-end free agents, let alone trade for players coming off major injuries who can't practice well enough to get on the field for Sundays. Good teams and well run organizations don't even part with 7th rounders.

No. Sorry. Green Bay hardly ever signs higher-end free agents, let alone trade for players coming off major injuries who can't practice well enough to get on the field for Sundays. Good teams and well run organizations don't even part with 7th rounders.

Trades are rare. We know this. You asked why they trade for him.

I was just trying to answer your question.

Ok maybe Green Bay is a horrible example. I just chose GB because Finley is having problems staying healthy, yet looks to contend.

But other teams must have injures at TE, or depth concerns. What about us. I was concerned about our own Jordan Reed, twice, just yesterday. He missed games just last month. Davis too. Not to mention Davis missed much of last year.

Fact remains Davis has some value but we are seeing to it plummeting fast. If the value is off the draft chart (call him worth a 10th) so be it.

Dare I think he is more valuable to us than what anyone would be willing to offer at the deadline.

It's amazing how we draft what folks thinks are strengths (Cousins last year, Reed this year) and it turns out we are fortunate to have these players available. That's the difference between a Bruce Allen and a Vinny whats his name.

A torn Achilles will do that. It's harder to come back from than a blown knee. Good thing they didn't treat RG3 the same way.

It's also a good thing that the effort is always  there with him, and that he's gotten better every week since the start of the season. It's also not like there is anyone under him at his position that is better than him at the moment, and a game and a half from Kirk Cousins is not enough to form an argument that he is somehow better. Fred Davis was also not drafted 2nd overall, and didn't require 2 extra firsts, and was not drafted by this regime, meaning that the leash (especially when you include his history here) is not going to be as long.

Yeah, he had an unfortunate injury. That may be slowing him down, but I think it is very shortsighted to think that it's just his Achilles and nothing else. When you take his on again off again approach to football since he's been here, and add a guy that can play ST, a guy that can block (and catch pretty much everything), and a guy who is emerging as a go to target as a receiver, and is steadily improving his blocking, I think he was basically categorized as SOL.

Archived