Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

Reed does look like he can be a freaking baller.

Davis and Martellus Bennett seem similar to me. Tons of potential but zero drive.

That's actually a spot on comparison... Bennett was a beast last year for the Giants though, just played behind Witten for you guys and then was lazy and dropped balls when he got his chance... Seems lazy again for the Bears, he just wanted that paycheck.

It's also a good thing that the effort is always  there with him, and that he's gotten better every week since the start of the season. It's also not like there is anyone under him at his position that is better than him at the moment, and a game and a half from Kirk Cousins is not enough to form an argument that he is somehow better. Fred Davis was also not drafted 2nd overall, and didn't require 2 extra firsts, and was not drafted by this regime, meaning that the leash (especially when you include his history here) is not going to be as long.

Yeah, he had an unfortunate injury. That may be slowing him down, but I think it is very shortsighted to think that it's just his Achilles and nothing else. When you take his on again off again approach to football since he's been here, and add a guy that can play ST, a guy that can block (and catch pretty much everything), and a guy who is emerging as a go to target as a receiver, and is steadily improving his blocking, I think he was basically categorized as SOL.

Regardless of how good Cousins is or isn't, people were screaming for him, and the coach, thankfully, didn't budge. Also, an Achilles is much worse than what Griffin had.

I think it's more short sighted to get rid of a guy that's had more production in the passing game than Paul, Paulsen, Robinson, and Morgan combined (counting everyone's time under Shanahan). Get your playmakers on the field. That's clearly too much to ask. I've got no problems with Reed being the starter, but it seems beyond stupid to have Davis go from starter to off the team. Especially when he's probably the 3rd best pass catcher on the team.

Nobody is going to pay that franchise salary...

He's not franchised.

If anyone calls and is willing to even give up a 7th I would take it. Key phrase "If anyone calls." He won't be back next year, he will walk and if he is going to stay inactive then they might as well look to the future for him. Even if Reed was hurt a game and you only had Logan you could work in Niles for a game or 2 or even make a move to pick up a FA.

I'm all for guys having to earn their spots. I'm all for guys sitting if their not putting forth the effort required as we're lead to believe is why Fred is in Shanahan's doghouse.

But there's two sides to every story and when you have a top end pass catching TE in this league and he's not even dressing, something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along the line. It's not like we have a ton of playmakers to start with.

Regardless of whether coach or player is at fault here, one of the biggest problems with the HC is his inability to compromise. If you piss him off, you're done. And when that comes to the detriment of the football team, it's a terrible trait for the main man to have.

Complete waste of one of the very few top quality talents we possess.

Hail.

Wonder if the Packers would be interested for a conditional late round pick. Finley left the game earlier with a brutal looking concussion.

I doubt they would give up anything for a TE who can't crack the roster on a team with no playmakers. 

Get some draft picks from him before time is up.

If Allen pulls this off, even for a 2025 conditional 7th round pick, he gets GM of the year in my book. 

If that's true I think that's surprising. He's too young to go from very good to suddenly so bad that he can't get on the field.

The word out of Ashburn is that they haven't been happy with his work ethic, and "the small things."

He hasn't looked like the same play er he was, so I'm guessing that there's an injury issue, and he's found his way squarely into the doghouse due to bad behavior.

And it would be one thing if they missed his production, but with Paulsen and Reed, they don't seem to miss it at all. 

I'd be a lot more interested in the Fred Davis situation if the team hadn't put up 45 without him (or if he could play safety)

He wasn't even wanted last year. What makes you think teams will this year when he already has a couple of strikes?

QFT.  One other team talked to him in the off-season. Now there is film showing that he isn't quite the same guy, and he's been benched for a rookie.  While a bunch of folks around here question Shanahan, I'm sure GMs and HCs around the league will be wary to sign a guy that Shanahan has benched for a rookie.  Will definitely cause them pause.  

Somebody has probably said this but buffalo wanted Davis and we need a safety and jairius Byrd Hates his team. Ship them a 5th rounder and Davis

We'd have to ship them a whole lot more than a 5th to convince them to take Davis at this point.  It would really be a draft-trade pick for Byrd, and then "Hey, please take Davis as well."

I seriously doubt anyone bites. If they do, then we'll probably get a 5th-7th. 

7th in 2025. 

False.

You are questioning the great ProFootballTalk?

I'm all for guys having to earn their spots. I'm all for guys sitting if their not putting forth the effort required as we're lead to believe is why Fred is in Shanahan's doghouse.

But there's two sides to every story and when you have a top end pass catching TE in this league and he's not even dressing, something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along the line. It's not like we have a ton of playmakers to start with.

Regardless of whether coach or player is at fault here, one of the biggest problems with the HC is his inability to compromise. If you piss him off, you're done. And when that comes to the detriment of the football team, it's a terrible trait for the main man to have.

Hail.

This is a great example of the coach doing the right thing, and then some folks who seem to have an ax to grind, grinding it anyway.

Davis was not all that productive, apparently has been a bit of a whiner, and was beaten out by a rookie, who had a phenomenal day.

How did Shanahan do anything wrong here?  They put the guys out there who they thought would make the most amount of plays, and they did.  

If you want to pick at Shanahan for being stupid about stuff, there are plenty of legitimate things to pick on, like (at this point) why didn't they cut Niles Paul and try and keep Lorenzo, since Paul wasn't going to do anything at TE, it was just one STer against another, and Lorenzo was better. Why do we have Garcon and the irrelevant at WR? How can Jim Haslett still have a job? Why can nobody on the punt or kick block teams block anybody, ever, under any circumstance?  These are all legitimate questions.  

There is plenty to criticize about Mike Shanahan.  Playing a rookie who caught 9 balls for 100+ yards over a vet who's fallen out of favor isn't one of them.  

I wasn't criticising him for playing Reed over Davis at all. Not sure how you got that from my post V_o_R. I've been a staunch backer of Reeds talent from draft day and had quite a few interesting debates on here with folk who didn't like the pick.

Now Jordan AND Fred on the field at the same time ..... That's a complete loss. Regardless who's at fault.

Hail.

I wasn't criticising him for playing Reed over Davis at all. Not sure how you got that from my post V_o_R. I've been a staunch backer of Reeds talent from draft day and had quite a few interesting debates on here with folk who didn't like the pick.

Now Jordan AND Fred on the field at the same time ..... That's a complete loss. Regardless who's at fault.

Hail.

I actually think that they prefer Reed and Paulson on the field at the same time. Logan is a better blocker, and Reed is a better pass catcher.  If you put both Reed and Davis out there, you signal pass, because neither are particularly good run blockers.  

I think that they're going for more deception. Because defenders can just power through either of the two of them and kill whoever had the ball if they attempted a run. 

Just my thought.  

Hail.

That trait wasn't so bad for Jimmy Johnson.

Davis is average to above average. The offense was just fine without him last year and he's coming off serious injury.

Oh, and if he's still on the weed then he's gone for a year.

Not exactly someone you can exactly plan on building around....

Talking Trade, look at that. 

I hope Green Bay nabs him. Good call if so skinsfan1215 who also saw Finley injured. Great minds lol

About his value taking a hit being inactive.... think preventing injuries. When the resume on a guy is written and you want to trade him, its foolish to "showcase" him right before the trade.  Especially when you have Reed Pass Paulsen Hybrid Paul Blocker/Teams in the fold. 

Shoot man, if we're holding the weed smoking up as a serious question mark for reliability, then by association we might want to look at a reliable LT back-up.

Hail.

True.

Something tells me though that the light bulb went on for Trent. I hope so anyway because the dude is becomeing one of, if not the best, LT in the league.

Still hard to believe how fast Davis has fallen out of favor with Shanahan. Of course Reed's emergence has played a big part in that also but....

Fred Davis was the team's leading receiver last season before getting injured. He has had problems with blocking, practicing well, discipline which seem to have overtaken his obvious pass catching skills. He and RGIII seemed to have good chemistry last season and his return was thought to be another weapon to this dynamic offense.

To go from leading receiver to an afterthought is a puzzling development. Just have this bad feeling Davis will go to another team and thrive.

Jordan Reed has the potential to be great but he is a rookie. A rookie who has already missed time due to injury and also hurt his hip against Chicago.

If Reed isn't able to stay healthy it means relying on Paulsen and Niles Paul - the man Shanahan said reminded him of Shannon Sharpe but so far has shown zero ability to translate that to the field as a receiving TE.

It would be tough to find a better second receiving TE than Fred Davis and the Skins have too many other draft needs to go that route.

Barring another injury to Reed it's doubtful Davis will be a factor for this team going forward. If he isn't going to play might as well try to get a mid round pick for him instead of nothing at the end of the season...

@RandyHolt!! I have to give you props if a trade gets done... And laugh my ass off if we get more than a 7th rounder

LOL thanks, but I am not sure I want to move him for a 6 or 7.... I think he is worth more to us as insurance since our division is still for the taking. A 7th is close to walk on / free agent next spring. I would rather he be moved for a roster player, a special team ace or someone that can contribute sooner than later.

I do say this, with Reed dominating for just a few games now, it seems quick to pull the plug on Fred.  Barring the unforeseen of course,  behind the scenes things that fans have no idea about. In that case, it is addition by subtraction. Just better with him far away from the team. He would be an odd sacrificial lamb with the troubles the team has had this year, and his success with Robert when last fully healthy.

Archived