Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

It went pretty much to script. Our offense sucked featuring the pall boys, he made an appearance late in the second quarter. 0 targets.

If the blow off of team meetings report was true, why not just cut him, and ink Keiland or someone else we can just line up in the backfield to block? Maybe the injury to Reed is severe and we need him around.

With all the reports coming out of ashburn of late, who knows what to believe.

Its time to implement operation whackamole.

Cooley was just talking about the TE situation. He claims the coaching staff has always had a fancy for Logan Paulsen. However he made no mention about Fred's recent quote about falling asleep in meetings and skipping a meeting last week.

Chris then went on to say that if the Skins were to call him for some help at TE he would decline.

If he blew off team meetings ( or meeting), then I think he can pretty much go shopping for a suit to match that coffin...

The guy just doesn't care. I'm through with the Shanahan's, but I have a problem with players that simply don't give a damn, on top of it. I wouldn't cut him, because that's what he wants, and if I'm a coach, I am simply not going to give him what he wants.

I would deactivate  (IR/whatever) him though, and give his spot to somebody that wants to be there.

• 3 weeks later...

How much do you think we can get for Davis or Reed at the end of the season?

Shanahan was stupid not to trade Davis before the trade deadline.  We could use another 2nd round pick.

Vinny is employed in the NFL again?

No one is giving you a 2nd round pick for Fred Davis. We would have been lucky to get a 5th.

How much do you think we can get for Davis or Reed at the end of the season?

Shanahan was stupid not to trade Davis before the trade deadline.  We could use another 2nd round pick.

Fred is gone he's a FA at the end of the season.

If they wanted to get something for Fred they should have played him early then tried to move him after a couple of good games.

Ship has sailed Fred is gone.

• 5 weeks later...

What was the relationship with Davis and (then) TE coach Sean McVay?

Is there any way with Coach Gruden aboard and coach McVay as "offensive co-ordinator", that Fred Davis would want to stay or would they even want him to stick around?

I would presume they will let him test the market.  Anyone have the scoop or a thought?

I'd like to have him back. Shanahan did a good job tanking any value he might have had so we may be able to resign him for a good price again. Hopefully his issues were all with Shanahan and he would be willing to return because I think he can still be a contributor for us. It would be great to have 2 pass catching TEs for our QB to work with. He's solid not spectacular and  a good fill in for the Offense if Reed goes down. 

What sucks is that 2013 was supposed to be the season Davis would be playing for the big(ish) contract you know he will be seeking, but because of the situation with being in Shanahan's doghouse, who knows if he deserves it, doesn't deserve it etc etc....Reed emerging as a receiving threat also clouds the situation.

If we are truly now about maximizing talent that we have, and getting guys to buy into the program by putting them in the best positions to succeed, I  would like Davis to come back.

His market value wasn't all that great last year, and he was put on ice this year, so I think the team could give him a fair offer. Kyle Shanahan may not have known what to do with two TE's, but I think Gruden will. As long as we upgrade the o-line, I like our chances against any defense with Garçon, Reed, and Davis on the field at the same time, with a new #2 WR and a healthy Bob

My ideal situation would be that at some point, Gruden gets the guys together and says that the past is the past, giving everybody a clean slate, and an opportunity to contribute. That would be the smart thing to do imo.

We need to draft a TE unfortunately. It's painfully obvious Reed will probably never play more than 8 games a year and almost certainly be out if the team becomes a playoff contender.

Davis is done ladies and gents... Officially a journeyman TE, 10/12 and can be replaced with drop of hat.

We need to draft a TE unfortunately. It's painfully obvious Reed will probably never play more than 8 games a year and almost certainly be out if the team becomes a playoff contender.

Davis is done ladies and gents... Officially a journeyman TE, 10/12 and can be replaced with drop of hat.

Pretty bold statement after he's only been in the league for 1 season.

Pretty bold statement after he's only been in the league for 1 season.

I understand it's an opinion- not so much a fact. I generally am optimistic. But, the writing is on the wall with this one...IMO.

Davis on the other hand... dime a dozen. That is more factual. 7 years later I wouldn't anticipate a 'rebirth'. He is only gonna get worse.

Archived