Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

I want to know why Davis isn't playing.

Garcon is not getting open reliably (or RG3 isn't finding him). Morgan and Moss have done nothing. Hankerson is unreliable, at best. Logan Paulson is a blocker who can get a five yard route once in a while. Paul is special teams.

If Davis is a healthy scratch, why?

Is Kyle Shanahan unable to develop a use for him? Or is he (or Mike) unwilling to?

We're about to play a team that gives up the most yards to tight ends. We have two athletic, pass catching tight ends. Why is there no way to get both of them in to this game, especially given how poorly our receivers are playing?

If Davis is a healthy scratch, why?

I think Mike addressed this in a presser. We couldn't afford to dress 4 tight ends. We needed Niles Paul on special teams, Paulsen is a much better blocker, and Reed is a much better pass-catcher.

It's a numbers game. If Hankerson can't play tomorrow, we'll presumably dress Davis.

If Davis were doing great and tearing it up in practice then he'd be on the field. Since he is not the logical conclusion is that he is not doing great nor tearing it up in practice. We've even seen inside reports alluding to as much, including him sleeping at meetings. This is his contract year, he should be doing everything he can. He's obviously not. Talented pass catchers are talented pass catchers. Kyle and Mike could easily find ways to utilize 2 TEs, especially since both are athletic and can line up at receiver spots. They put a rookie TE out there because he was doing well. On this team we've seen whoever performs plays, whoever doesn't gets benched and has to earn their way back on. Davis isn't earning it right now.

Shanahan must have had a bran fart somewhere... Clearly when you're trying to phase out a player, you don't tell them what they need to do to improve, and then mention to the press that they had an excellent week of practice. :)

If it's the truth than you should express it...then again he's a professional football coach ...and your not  :)

ESPN game tape guru Ron Jaworski believes Jordan Reed "will be sensational" in the Redskins' offense, and compares him to Aaron Hernandez.
Reed is playing the old Shannon Sharpe/Owen Daniels role in Shanahan & Son's passing attack. It's a highly productive position, and essentially the No. 2 receiver behind X receiver Pierre Garcon. "He’s one of the guys that jumps off the tape at you," Jaws said of Reed. "We were talking here, he reminded us on the field of an Aaron Hernandez. He has that kind of wide receiver movement for a big guy. This guy is going to scare the hell out of defenses." Oct 25 - 9:26 AM
Source: ESPN.com

I don't think anyone want's to be compared to Aaron Hernandez..that's just a poor source for jaws to use...Shannon Sharpe would be a good comparison  speedy, elusive , powerful and strong handed. that's definitely Reed.

Maybe Kyle shocks the world and will design plays with 2 PC TEs in the game at the same time. Just in case 2 practice excellent in the same week. If its a numbers game, just sit one of our WRs and line up Reed as a WR.  Problem solved.

Our 2-5 WRs are all good for 2 catches each per game - which keeps defenses honest, but outside of a Robinson deep pattern once every 4 weeks, scare no DCs. I would have no problem swapping one out to try and make our pass offense less dependent on running, and its great run blocking WRs.

Hank seems to have cooled after a strong start. With his injury this week, I see a little door open for Kyle to do it. Dare I think if there is a time to add a new wrinkle in our passing game, its for a trip to  Denver.

If it's the truth than you should express it...then again he's a professional football coach ...and your not   :)

Did I say I was? But thanks for the reminder anyway  :)

Even if it isn't the truth, it does nothing at this point but to maybe calm down the surrounding chatter, and help Fred's ego. It does nothing as far as attempting to drive up his value. He has no meaningful film since last October, tore his achilles, got little interest around the league last offseason, and now has been riding the bench this season. No one is going to give the Skins anything of note for a player in that kind of predicament, especially not anything good enough to start a positive PR campaign.

So maybe, just maybe, there is no conspiracy theory/coach speak going on, and the guy just had really good week of practice.

Randy^^Mike was propaganda-ing to the media that Davis practiced well this week.

Fingers crossed but not holding my breathe.

I saw that. It seemed like he was tipping his hand. I expect to see him active today because of that.

I am not sure exactly why he couldn't say he had a "good" week. Who would doubt it.

I wonder if defenses have been game planning for 2 PCTEs every week just in case.

Eventually the moment to surprise anyone, passes.

Maybe Kyle shocks the world and will design plays with 2 PC TEs in the game at the same time. Just in case 2 practice excellent in the same week. If its a numbers game, just sit one of our WRs and line up Reed as a WR.  Problem solved.

Our 2-5 WRs are all good for 2 catches each per game - which keeps defenses honest, but outside of a Robinson deep pattern once every 4 weeks, scare no DCs. I would have no problem swapping one out to try and make our pass offense less dependent on running, and its great run blocking WRs.

Hank seems to have cooled after a strong start. With his injury this week, I see a little door open for Kyle to do it. Dare I think if there is a time to add a new wrinkle in our passing game, its for a trip to  Denver.

I would like to see Reed take Morgans Wr spot. Morgan is basically out there to run block anyways. With Reed in Morgans spot would be a huge upgrade. Reed is a better blocker, gets better seperation, and much better hands.

I would like to see Reed take Morgans Wr spot. Morgan is basically out there to run block anyways. With Reed in Morgans spot would be a huge upgrade. Reed is a better blocker, gets better seperation, and much better hands.

Agreed and dare I think he is faster too.

Bonus: Morgan can then focus on returns

*not sure if I am serious on that last part.

Agreed and dare I think he is faster too.

Bonus: Morgan can then focus on returns

*not sure if I am serious on that last part.

I doubt he is faster but it doesn't matter if you can't get open to catch the ball. I would love for Morgan to make me eat my words.

On the return part of the game. I doubt it will matter who we put back there. I think the cap penalty killed our special teams more so than any other aspect of the roster.

But I would like to S. Moss returning kicks and punts. I doubt that will happen if Hankerson isn't playing today. But Morgans is just too slow to be returning kicks imo. If Aldrick Robinson isn't going to be a big part of the passing game I would use him before Morgan as well.

Hail

I doubt he is faster but it doesn't matter if you can't get open to catch the ball. I would love for Morgan to make me eat my words.

On the return part of the game. I doubt it will matter who we put back there. I think the cap penalty killed our special teams more so than any other aspect of the roster.

But I would like to S. Moss returning kicks and punts. I doubt that will happen if Hankerson isn't playing today. But Morgans is just too slow to be returning kicks imo. If Aldrick Robinson isn't going to be a big part of the passing game I would use him before Morgan as well.

Hail

Why would you want Aldrick Robinson as a KR or PR ? He sucks at it, everyone is so in love with his speed, but the kid can not catch or field kicks/punts. We tried him at it and he was terrible, the ball would bounce off his pads. 

There's a reason Morgan is starting Kick Return and that is because our speed burner (Robinson) who should be returning kicks/punts can't catch a cold. lol

We can't afford to turn the ball over on KR/PR and allow teams to field the ball inside our 20 yard line so that is why robinson is farrrrrrrrrrrrr away from KR/PR duties. lol

Why would you want Aldrick Robinson as a KR or PR ? He sucks at it, everyone is so in love with his speed, but the kid can not catch or field kicks/punts. We tried him at it and he was terrible, the ball would bounce off his pads. 

There's a reason Morgan is starting Kick Return and that is because our speed burner (Robinson) who should be returning kicks/punts can't catch a cold. lol

We can't afford to turn the ball over on KR/PR and allow teams to field the ball inside our 20 yard line so that is why robinson is farrrrrrrrrrrrr away from KR/PR duties. lol

Lol, you can't know whether or not Aldirck 'sucks' at KR/PR because we haven't seen him do it.

If they put him that him back there and he get removed or is ineffective like Morgan then you can say something.

Until then....

Lol, you can't know whether or not Aldirck 'sucks' at KR/PR because we haven't seen him do it.

If they put him that him back there and he get removed or is ineffective like Morgan then you can say something.

Until then....

I'm shocked for as many "Die Hard" redskin fans that are on this board you would think some of you would be able to remember 2-3 years back we tried him at KR/PR in 2011 and 2012 in the preseason and he sucked.... if you get a chance please load up the "Preseason Rewind" on NFL.Com if you need your memory refreshed on how terrible robinson was at KR/PR.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins

@john_keim why dont we try aldrick robinson at PR? #redskinsmailbag
Oct. 25, 2013
  • Retweet
  • Favorite

Keim: Because he’s not good at it. As a rookie they tried Robinson as a returner and he struggled with ball security and decision making, two sort of important areas in this job. They worked with him as a punt returner while he was on the practice squad. And then last summer they tried him as a returner again. He’s just not very good at it and it’s too bad because he has the speed to be dangerous in this role. But being a good returner is about more than speed.Brian Mitchell wasn’t a burner, but he was a great returner. I also have never gotten the sense that Robinson likes this role.

I rest my case lol

So based on Kiem's opinion based off preseason its enough to definitivel know the sum of Aldrick as a KR/PR? Noted.

So you're saying people can improve at things they hadn't previously done much of? Blasphemy!

On a serious note, I'm of the belief that our blocking is so atrocious that it would take a serious playmaker to make any kind of difference.

So based on Kiem's opinion based off preseason its enough to definitivel know the sum of Aldrick as a KR/PR? Noted.

Preseason is where all players are judged, c'mon now you sound foolish. Players are put in positions in preseason to see if they can perform and if they can't they are removed he was put in the position in 2011 he sucked then on the practice squad in 2011 he sucked and then 2012 he sucked and then they removed him all together and gave an opportunity to richard crawford which worked until he tore up his knee.

So let me get this straight you think "Hey if we try Aldrick in a real life game time action where the games count the results in preseason where he was terrible will be different" ?

doing the same things over and over again hoping for better results = Insanity

Players being starters or bench warmers comes down to opinion from the coaching staff and keim knows more than any of us what the coaching staff is thinking. So if Keim says he isn't good at KR/PR i'm sure shanahan feels the same way and maybe that is why Josh Morgan is playing that role over the speed burner Aldrick Robinson.

But yea lets play robinson at KR/PR even though he's terrible at the role while we're at it lets play Niles Paul at starting TE even though he's terrible at the role never mind that they were both terrible at the roles in preseason lets play them at the positions in the real game that counts against our record because they can always improve and no player in this league has ever never really improved and eventually been released........ (Sarcasm) 

How many opportunities do you wanna give Robinson at KR/PR before you finally realize he is not good at that? 

Preseason is where all players are judged, c'mon now you sound foolish. Players are put in positions in preseason to see if they can perform and if they can't they are removed he was put in the position in 2011 he sucked then on the practice squad in 2011 he sucked and then 2012 he sucked and then they removed him all together and gave an opportunity to richard crawford which worked until he tore up his knee.

So let me get this straight you think "Hey if we try Aldrick in a real life game time action where the games count the results in preseason where he was terrible will be different" ?

Players are graded during preseason for sure but  (a) the sum of players ability is not determined by pre-season performance; i think even you can see that without further explanation? (B) you nor any other fan watched Aldrick return many kicks/punts; you're simply relying solely on the word of another person, what if Keim's evaluation is wrong?

Players are graded during preseason for sure but  (a) the sum of players ability is not determined by pre-season performance; i think even you can see that without further explanation? ( B) you nor any other fan watched Aldrick return many kicks/punts; you're simply relying solely on the word of another person, what if Keim's evaluation is wrong?

Then why wasn't Robinson given a chance during our early season musical chairs act at the return position?

Clearly, the ppl that matter share the same evaluation

Then why wasn't Robinson given a chance during our early season musical chairs act at the return position?

Clearly, the ppl that matter share the same evaluation

Do I need to go through the litany of personnel mistakes made by this team or the evaluation mistakes made by our local reports or simply point out that coaching staffs like all people make mistakes?

My point is simple.

You don't know until you know, until then we're all just guessing.

Preseason is not a true barometer there is a long laundry list of pre-season all stars that do nothing.

There is an equally long laundry list of pre-season cuts/non-factors that go on to produce.

Players are graded during preseason for sure but  (a) the sum of players ability is not determined by pre-season performance; i think even you can see that without further explanation? ( B) you nor any other fan watched Aldrick return many kicks/punts; you're simply relying solely on the word of another person, what if Keim's evaluation is wrong?

Of course players can improve but players can also not improve. We don't have the luxury to start robinson at that role and cross our fingers and pray he doesn't drop a ball off his shoulder pads. 

The problem with robinson is that he attempts to catch PR/KR with his pads heck it's extremely difficult to catch pases with your pads imagine catching a PR and KR which usually is in the air for a LONG TIME with your pads? That ball is going to bounce off your pads and in to the defenders hands consistently and that is why Robinson will not be playing KR/PR. 

Archived