Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

This guy (to me) is an enigma.  All the talent in the world and can't seem to put it all together.  For whatever the reason, he seems to be completely lost on the field.  He's been milk-carton status for the two games the Skins have played this year, and frankly, we all know that Jordan Reed has been out playing him.  I thought something was strange that other teams were pretty much staying away from him during FA.  Maybe there is more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.  I just read that he has to pay 20k to the woman he got in to it with at that nighclub last summer.  I just don't get him.  It would be nice to have TWO productive pass-catching TEs, but as the weeks go by, it's becoming evident that Jordan Reed is going to be on top of the depth chart (if he isn't there already).  Like Kenny Britt in Tennessee, I think this season will be the last for Fred here in DC.  Oh well.  Cherry on top of the ice cream for those 3 2nd round picks that Vinny messed up on a few years back.  SMH. 

That achilles looked pretty spry in the preseason. I just think that there is something else that has caused his snap total to decrease in consecutive weeks.

A lot of things look pretty spry in the preseason. Fact is, the Achilles tear is an injury most athletes do not come back from the next year (if ever http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture). Davis' production will probably not be that good this season, and that would allow the Skins to resign him for cheap.

I'd like to see the two TE set actually done. Cooley and Davis could never do it because Cooley fell off a physical cliff, but a healthy Davis is a better receiver than most of the wide receivers on the team. If Reed gets to that level, he will be a better receiver, too. I don't see why the Skins have to trot some pretty piss-poor wide receivers on the field when they have Davis and Reed.

Like drops? He has been hanging out with Hankerson too much...

Haha.  Pretty sure Hank Time has zero drops through two games. :)

I think it's two fold.  One, Sleepy is still recovering from injury and he's probably pressing a bit with his contract year on the line.  Two, Jordan Reed is a damn good football player. 

I like both guys.  Sleepy had a bad game on Sunday, but so did a lot of people not wearing Packer green.  I hope he finds his rhythm, we could certainly use him.

Or, he could be studying to pass the bar exam and he hasn't gotten much sleep lately. :)

He's done as a Redskin after this season, IMO.  I wouldn't invest in him after this season.  Find another TE, I think TEs can be had.  But the two TE thing hasn't really materialized for whatever reason.   But frankly, I think it might be a little overrated.  Only the Patriots have ever really exploited it to any consistent success lately.  But I get the logic of the matchup problem it's supposed to create, in theory. 

Found this little bit on rotoworld:

"Sources tell the Washington Post that Fred Davis was benched after blowing several missed assignments in Sunday's loss to the Packers."

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4716/fred-davis

Lack of preparation?  Struggling with coming back from Achilles? Hopefully it's correctable whatever it is

This is in line with players telling RG3 to be more of an a-hole to players when they screw up.

Freddie, Freddie, Freddie...smh. Get your **** together for your own sake.

Found this little bit on rotoworld:

"Sources tell the Washington Post that Fred Davis was benched after blowing several missed assignments in Sunday's loss to the Packers."

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4716/fred-davis

Lack of preparation?  Struggling with coming back from Achilles? Hopefully it's correctable whatever it is

Wow, that's interesting. Hopefully he makes up for it this week.

We have so many kinks to iron out, but I firmly believe in this staff to do the ironing. I refuse to look at last season's run as an anomaly.

not sure i understand the "let him walk" view that people have.  If he's not productive this year then he'll be a cheap bring back - no one went after him this past off season.  When healthy and on the field, he can cause problems for the defense.  Would love to have him back - especially on the cheap

There is nothing wrong with Fred Davis except for his playing time.

He's a better blocker then Reed by a mile and right now his the better receiver.

His only 'problem' is that he's being phased out like the Pats tried to do with Welker 2 years ago.

I don't get this. I mean, it's incredibly difficult for me to believe that he's the better player and they're playing Reed just because. It seems there's way too much speculation there on your part. Isn't it very possible that Reed is just outplaying him right now, especially as a pass catcher? I don't think it's an accident that whenever we're pretty much exclusively throwing the ball because of the game situation (read: entire 2nd half), we choose Reed instead.

I'm thinking about our games, and I don't see Fred as being the better pass catcher than Reed right now. Better blocker, maybe, I haven't really paid attention to that. But pass catcher? Reed looks really good right now there. The one catch he made in the end zone to a ball thrown behind him is one Fred struggles with. I was super impressed by it.

Bad practices apparently. 

And Reed has caught everything thrown his way. Honestly think the staff is surprised by how good Reed has looked right off the bat. I'm a big Davis believer, but he's dropped some catchable balls while Reed has caught some really bad throws.

But Davis can play -- and I'm sure he'll be making some plays for us soon. The first two games have just been a trainwreck for everybody.

Archived