Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

Overall bad offensive coaching is to blame for not involving Fred Davis more.  He's the prototypical TE.  He has great speed and hands and could be a great help to this offense.  But Kyle and Mike are pig-headed and too idiotic to see that they are wasting a potential gold mine in our offense.  This is yet another example of the arrogance that the Shanahan coaches display.  They misused Cooley and now there misusing Davis.  This game has and always be about match-ups.  We have two coaches that for some reason refuse to find the best offensive match-ups.  There isn't a DE, LB, or even some Safeties that can cover Fred Davis.  Put Davis/Reed together on the field and I guarantee, you'll open up the passing lanes for Garcon and co.  

Agreed. Chris Cooley should be coaching this team now. Clinton Portis can be our change of pace pack, and we can trade both RG3 AND Cousins to the Browns. Then we bring in Tebow, have him duke it out with Pat White for the starting job, and then have them both on the field with Tebow as a TE.

Scrap that. We break Hernandez out of prison, sign Chris Cooley and Tim Tebow, and roll with a 6 TE package and have Niles Paul line up at RT. The Shanahanigans are just too arrogant and idiotic to think outside the box. We need real coaches to UNLEASH THE DRAGON!11!

:lol: :lol:

This board can never make its mind up, or get its story straight. One summer Fred Davis is the 2nd coming of TE glory, so we shove CC47 out of the door, the next, he's a has-been, not special, soon to be out the door TE.

As fans, we will never be happy. I'm not saying we should settle, but it seemed like yesterday we deemed Fred the best TE in all the land, minus the off the field issues

Wack

:lol: :lol:

This board can never make its mind up, or get its story straight. One summer Fred Davis is the 2nd coming of TE glory, so we shove CC47 out of the door, the next, he's a has-been, not special, soon to be out the door TE.

As fans, we will never be happy. I'm not saying we should settle, but it seemed like yesterday we deemed Fred the best TE in all the land, minus the off the field issues

Wack

Medication will help.

Did the board break? The wackiness is entertaining, but totally throwing me for a loop.

I'm not sure we can know exactly the reason (or culprit) or if there are multiple reasons.

Davis dropping the ball

Davis missing assignments

Davis returning to health

Davis' vs Reeds future with the team

Griffin's rust

Games were out of reach

Perhaps Reed is better suited to the 2 minute package they keep talking about

Agreed. Chris Cooley should be coaching this team now. Clinton Portis can be our change of pace pack, and we can trade both RG3 AND Cousins to the Browns. Then we bring in Tebow, have him duke it out with Pat White for the starting job, and then have them both on the field with Tebow as a TE.

Scrap that. We break Hernandez out of prison, sign Chris Cooley and Tim Tebow, and roll with a 6 TE package and have Niles Paul line up at RT. The Shanahanigans are just too arrogant and idiotic to think outside the box. We need real coaches to UNLEASH THE DRAGON!11!

Preaching to the choir buddy...preaching to the choir.

Robert Royal looking for a workout?

Have we taken him to Morton's yet?

There is nothing wrong with Fred Davis except for his playing time.

He's a better blocker then Reed by a mile and right now his the better receiver.

His only 'problem' is that he's being phased out like the Pats tried to do with Welker 2 years ago.

Actually there's two things wrong - he's not following his assignments, and he's got a case of the drops. One of those is enough to get you benched when there's an alternative who's making plays. Hopefully the last game was a wake-up call for Fred that he's not irreplaceable, because I think the team would *love* to have two pass-catching TEs next year.

Jordan Reed is certainly making the case for not having a need for Fred Davis in the future. Or at least getting a better deal with Fred to stay on.

Having said that, I think giving up on him coming off of a torn achilles is a bit silly. He certainly hasn't been as effective as you'd like, and if the rumors of his benching are true because of missed assignments, that makes it a bit more of a slippery slope... But the season is still young. Too early to give up on him.

On the missed assignments story, might be true but I have not seem anything definitive on that from a coach or 'team source' and the coaches are the only ones who can really say if he is missing assignments. Not impossible it's true but I take it with a pinch of salt.

I think it's as simple as Reed has made plays when given opportunities and is seeing more playing time as a result especially since we have been so pass happy playing catch up. Davis is still a much better blocker than Reed and if we get a run heavy game I would bet you see more snaps for Davis and him involved in the passing game off play action.

It is looking possible though that this might be Davis last year as a Redskin.

I would also suggest that teams gameplan to take Fred out of plays, given how he was performing early last season. Reed comes in as sort of a nobody to other teams, so he gets open underneath during the 2 minute drill. But there are rare TEs on other teams like Gronk, Graham, Gresham, etc that know how to explode through double coverage.

I won't be too hard on Fred just yet, we haven't seen the best of the QB or the RB either.

Eh, i think Fred will be fine. I was expecting big things from him this season, but he hasnt lived up to them yet. But i think he will be back to where he was in a few weeks. Jordan Reed tho, I really like this guy. Reminds me of an Antonio Gates type of TE. Cant wait to see him develop.

100% agree. I cant remember when he was ever good for us. I dont remember the last punter we had that was GOOD, not great, but good. I forgot the kids name but we once had a punter competition with a veteran and a very young kid, and i remember the kid beat out the veteran as far as i remember through the pre season games, but we ended up taking the veteran. My mind is drawing a blank. Unless i totally made this up in my head.

Punter Durant Brooks, 6th round, 2008 draft.  Mentored by Ray Guy.  He didn't succeed anywhere else after the Redskins gave up on him.

On the missed assignments story, might be true but I have not seem anything definitive on that from a coach or 'team source' and the coaches are the only ones who can really say if he is missing assignments. Not impossible it's true but I take it with a pinch of salt.

I think it's as simple as Reed has made plays when given opportunities and is seeing more playing time as a result especially since we have been so pass happy playing catch up. Davis is still a much better blocker than Reed and if we get a run heavy game I would bet you see more snaps for Davis and him involved in the passing game off play action.

It is looking possible though that this might be Davis last year as a Redskin.

Just saw it referenced in the presser. Guess a reporter said that Davis told him he was benched for missing assignments and Shanahan responded that he wouldn't share that info but if Davis said it than that was the case (or something like that).

Fred has really never been anything super special. This is his 6th year in the league and he has yet to start for a full season. I'm sure the injury doesn't help, but he was averaging 46 yards per game and had no TDs before he went down last year.

Don't see it either. If Davis was a fifth or lower round draft pick these be solid numbers. For a second rounder he's been a lame duck.

Archived