Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

3 minutes ago, carex said:

Just because this area's winters have gotten warmer doesn't mean it's reliable enough to give a Super Bowl to.  We'd get one and a polar vortex

Maybe changing the name will change our fortunes for the better and we can get some good luck going our way for a change.

We’ve  been a team that's been walking around with a reverse horseshoe  for decades. There were stories (perhaps apocryphal) that some native American shaman put a curse on our team after our last Superbowl win that could only be broken if we changed the name.

Ridiculous of course but it’s a strange world and strange things happen all the time. Who really knows.

If nothing else this is an opportunity for a truly fresh start. I intend to embrace it and hope for the best.

10 minutes ago, bh32 said:

All it does is cause another race discussion..We all know it so why go there?

I got to agree. Lets find other ways to honor people and stay away from the name or the logo doing it.

7 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone thinks changing the name, no matter what it ends up being, will affect the W/L record a single iota.

If it doesn’t I can still my ****ty team in peace with the quiet dignity of a Lions fan

I think it’s cool that this has my group of friends wanting to hang out and watch the new team play. We burned out on Redskins losses probably a few seasons ago. But this is something new so it’s kinda interesting again 

2 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

imagine listening to the announcers trying to say the Washington Snuffleupaguses

Almost worth it lol

Just now, sempre_victrix said:

imagine listening to the announcers trying to say the Washington Snuffleupaguses

Not sure of the etymology, but I think it would either be Snuffleupagi, or Snuffleupages.  Or it could be a singular name like the Avalance or the Wild.

10 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone thinks changing the name, no matter what it ends up being, will affect the W/L record a single iota.

I think it’s more just something that sports fans like to BELIEVE could happen, more than just fans actually thinking it will happen. There’s a difference 

9 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Agreed. It will not.

But if the team is ever good, the focus will be on the team, not the controversial name. 

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

Not sure of the etymology, but I think it would either be Snuffleupagi, or Snuffleupages.  Or it could be a singular name like the Avalance or the Wild.

I was going to go with Snuffleupagi, but they'd have to switch back and forth between the plural and singular.  You know, "He's been a Snuffleupagus since he was drafted"

How cool would that be?

24 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

The name change removes any non-football related questions to the players and coaches, bad press, ill-feelings, conscientious objecting, etc. etc.  

We are about winning football games and that’s all we are about.  Poor Ron Rivera has been here 5 minutes and he has already had to “weigh-in” on the name.  For me, I’m just ready for it to go away and not be a distraction anymore.  I do believe it’s an non X’s and O’s factor that can and maybe has come in to play here in just piling on the negative.      

2 minutes ago, primetime441 said:

Washington Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis'

No fair.....

The Oxford English Dictionary lists pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis as “a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by inhalation of very fine silica dust usually found in volcanos' but occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word”.

fac·ti·tious
/fakˈtiSHəs/

adjective

1. artificially created or developed.
    "a largely factitious national identity"

2 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

The name change removes any non-football related questions to the players and coaches, bad press, ill-feelings, conscientious objecting, etc. etc.  

We are about winning football games and that’s all we are about.  Poor Ron Rivera has been here 5 minutes and he has already had to “weigh-in” on the name.  For me, I’m just ready for it to go away and not be a distraction anymore.  I do believe it’s an non X’s and O’s factor that can and maybe has come in to play here in just piling on the negative.      

Pretty much. It removes unnecessary baggage.  It should be 100% about football. Feels great to finally be free of that.

Six Years ago, the Patawomeck tribe in VA offered their support in both retaining the current name and renaming the team, should team leadership wish. The potential name was "Washington Potomacs" and branding would probably stay largely the same.. It would be a partnership similar to FSU and the Seminole tribe.  I'm wondering if Dan is still in contact with them or reaching out to them again. 

Here's a link for anyone who is interested in revisiting the article: https://spectator.org/patawomeck-tribe-snyder-could-rename-the-redskins-after-us/

4 minutes ago, throwback37 said:

Six Years ago, the Patawomeck tribe in VA offered their support in both retaining the current name and renaming the team, should team leadership wish. The potential name was "Washington Potomacs" and branding would probably stay largely the same.. It would be a partnership similar to FSU and the Seminole tribe.  I'm wondering if Dan is still in contact with them or reaching out to them again. 

Here's a link for anyone who is interested in revisiting the article: https://spectator.org/patawomeck-tribe-snyder-could-rename-the-redskins-after-us/

Washington Potomacs? It sounds so weird, I am not a fan

Archived