Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I truly haven't seen one name I'd really want yet (or that I don't think would present problems of its own)...so I hope Snyder, Rivera, and the people they employ for this are more creative than the entirety of the internet so far.

It'll be Mammoths and you'll love it!

Would fit the (honestly odd and out of place if it's not related) military comment Rivera made. 

And like I speculated earlier, as much as I wouldn't like it, I bet the thinking is that for the demographic most likely to push back on changing the name, doing something that is perceived as patriotic or honoring the military is seen as a way to earn back a lot of that good will. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Would fit the (honestly odd and out of place if it's not related) military comment Rivera made. 

And like I speculated earlier, as much as I wouldn't like it, I bet the thinking is that for the demographic most likely to push back on changing the name, doing something that is perceived as patriotic or honoring the military is seen as a way to earn back a lot of that good will. 

Its bland, but hey, we could always be the Riverfish :mellow:

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Generals is super boring just use Bullets if you go that route. 

Yeah unfortunately I have a feeling they may go the super safe and boring route. Generals isn't "bad", but it's not exactly novel or exciting. Maybe use a different random rank? The Washington Force Command Master Chief Petty Officers. Or just the Washington Ensigns....keeps expectations low. 

Some quotes I found in an article:

Link (click here)

GEORGE STARKE / Former offensive lineman, and member of "The Hogs"

"Not everybody knows this but I am a Native American, I'm a Mohawk," Starke told ABC7's Scott Abraham. "As a group, you know, the name's got to go. I mean, it's not that complicated an issue. There's not a lot of subtle nuance regardless of what Dan Snyder has said historically." 

FRANK HERZOG / Former voice of the team

"To tell you the truth, I think maybe Dan Snyder had his minions at Redskins park working on this very subject months ago. And I think ... a strategy, a marketing strategy for a name change, I don't know if it involves them making the change or if they stage a contest with fans to pick a new name. I don't know what they decide to do. But they're going to make a fortune." 

DOC WALKER / The Team 980 and former tight end

"I'm in celebratory mode ... for the people that were hurt," Walker said.

While Walker says he's proud of having represented the burgundy and gold, and he's gone back and forth about the logo and name over the years, he also says this: "I met a gentleman from Utah who's a congressman who's Native American. He told me it was offensive. All I needed was one person." 

Will this convince anybody here? Who knows. But it's as good as done.

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I truly haven't seen one name I'd really want yet (or that I don't think would present problems of its own)...so I hope Snyder, Rivera, and the people they employ for this are more creative than the entirety of the internet so far.

Do not hold your breath on it 

So I thought I'd 'weigh in' with my opinion since it's perhaps a different perspective, but by no means unique, being that I'm in Scotland, I'm 32 and I haven't had a successful skins team to support for the vast majority of the last 15 years I've been invested. I don't have the same level of affection for the franchise because of past players or glories that maybe others watching from abroad do - maybe, given that, my opinion could be representative of such a minute % of the fanbase that it's not worth considering.

I had family outside of Richmond, VA and, having flirted with Madden for years, when I visited in 2005 during preseason, I got caught up in the team. What really caught me up then was the branding - the name, the logo, the burgundy and gold and how slick the merchandise was. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way because it's not necessarily a positive: I think the UK is culturally more worried and conscious of offending than the US. I didn't, despite being in that culture, consider anything wrong with any of the branding (name, logo etc.) in fact I actually thought it was a positive representation of Native Americans. It wasn't a caricature and it didn't mock - it showed a stoic, heroic Native American. The name, therefore, I thought would also have been created in that same tone.

I love history. I don't see how I could have supported another team because, not only was the team historic, but it represented something even more historic. Something solid. A Raven or a Panther wouldn't have done anything for me. It's that sense of history, rightly or wrongly, I'm worried about losing. Sports teams in the UK are far less transient or adaptive than in the US. You pick a team, they don't move and they don't rebrand. If they did, fans wouldn't follow. Maybe that's the driver behind the following: I'm struggling to see how I can identify with some of the suggestions being made and, being remote and without having that additional identification through that sense of 'this is my team because x & y played for them', I don't know how it'll go for me when i turn on that TV for the first time and try and root for the Washington Redhawks, Redtails etc. I'm hoping it's a smoother transition than the future I'm imagining just now.

Given that, I'm desperate that we find a way to maintain something of what makes the franchise. I don't feel there's been proper engagement with Native Americans to find out what their thoughts are on the name, logo, fight song etc. The team has presented those who support the name for the past. The WP has polled Native Americans, by phone, and 9 out of 10 had no issue. Then Berkeley, who have a Native American on the study team whose opinions would suggest she went in with a preconceived outcome in mind, poll the complete opposite and feel comfortable creating different classes of Native American (I can't imagine another race where it would be acceptable to suggest someone isn't Black or White enough to have an opinion).

Take time out - years out, even. Go forward as Washington for the moment with an R logo. Take time to truly find out what would be, not only acceptable for Native Americans, but a branding they consider a positive representation. The team could really turn this on it's head and do something of significance instead of just looking for the quick-win, move-on that name change campaigners are striving for: Actually assist the community and cut them in on the royalties to be invested in raising their living conditions. Make a concerted effort, with the national and global platform, to raise awareness and campaign on their behalf to ensure they're not under-represented and that the communities have proportionately higher government expenditure invested in them. That could look cynical but I'd rather action than care about the perception of others.

Generals is a punch line.  No thank you.

Saw this coming years ago, but it's not fun being the target of the latest cultural and moral orthodoxy litmus test for the America Left wing.  We're hated as stand-ins for the white southern conservatives that mainstream America ****ing hates right now.  It's not rational, but here we are.  When, if ever, was Redskins generally used as a derogatory term for Native Americans?  When has the name hurt anybody?  Do the vast majority of Native Americans not live their lives without caring about us at all?  The name is an irrelevancy to everyone but us Redskins fans.  But it's become a proxy culture war between white liberals and conservatives.  Broader liberal political impotence has been channeled into energy for this fight because forcing us to change the team name is a way to crap on a relatively obscure sacred cow and claim a symbolic victory against white southern wrongthink.

Don't necessarily agree with everything you say Scottish skins but some of it resonates and you have put it across very eloquently.

I will remain invested regardless, I just really hope its not something lame. FWIW I hate generals and hope they don't move forward with that but can see it happening

42 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Will this convince anybody here? Who knows. But it's as good as done.

I sadly make you right mate.

More sadly, when it is, I’m done too if this is all our history and heritage means at the expense of the all mighty dollar. (Let’s not pretend this is about anything else.). 

2020 Trump America in glorious technicolour. 

Hail. 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Generals is a punch line.  No thank you.

Saw this coming years ago, but it's not fun being the target of the latest cultural and moral orthodoxy litmus test for the America Left wing.  We're hated as stand-ins for the white southern conservatives that mainstream America ****ing hates right now.  It's not rational, but here we are.  When, if ever, was Redskins generally used as a derogatory term for Native Americans?  When has the name hurt anybody?  Do the vast majority of Native Americans not live their lives without caring about us at all?  The name is an irrelevancy to everyone but us Redskins fans.  But it's become a proxy culture war between white liberals and conservatives.  Broader liberal political impotence has been channeled into energy for this fight because forcing us to change the team name is a way to crap on a relatively obscure sacred cow and claim a symbolic victory against white southern wrongthink.

Um...interesting take.

Archived