Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Bubble Screen

A's are a better squad then last year.  Just because the media overlooked them and don't believe in them for the 2nd year in a row don't count them out.

Don't forget they did take Detroit to a 5th game last year after going down 0-2 to start the series, and if Coco Crisp doesn't drop a fly ball in Game 2 they are likely to win the series in 4 games. 

Sonny Gray outdueled Verlander in Game 2 and Jarrod Parker survived his usual 1 rocky inning type of performance. Luckily the A's were already up 3-0 when it happened.

I think the A's best chance is to end this thing tomorrow in Detroit, because even though Game 5 would be back in Oakland, they would be facing Scherzer with a Plan B of Verlander as middle relief if it came down to that.

A's offense can get to Doug Fister. He aint bad, but he aint no Verlander/Scherzer/Sanchez level either. I just hope Strailey can show up and pitch a good game.

Bwahaha Braves lost. I turned the game on last night after MNF, the first time I had watched any baseball this postseason, and the Braves promptly took the lead. Decided that even though it was already the 7th my potential jinx was too much of a risk. Turned it off, and bam. Fortunes reversed. Good stuff.

I took my 12 year old to the Rays game last night.  We were 5 rows behind the guy who caught Longorias HR.  The crowd sang Happy Birthday after he hit it.  Awesome.

Intense game.  Heading back tonight sans kid.  837 start means a late late night.

Braves players boycotted Chipper Jones' first pitch in NLDS Game 1

Prior to their NLDS Game 1 loss to the Dodgers, the Braves had franchise icon and future Hall of Famer Chipper Jones throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Rather than throw the ball to long-time teammate Brian McCann or team MVP Freddie Freeman, Chipper had to make the toss to the team mascot. Why? Kevin Kernan of the New York Post explains:

Evidently, Braves players were not happy Jones had gone on the radio earlier in the day with the team's flagship station, 680 The Fan, and predicted the Dodgers would win the NLDS in four games. So no player volunteered to catch the pitch.

First things first: Hey, nice call Chipper. The Dodgers officially won the series in Game 4 on Monday.

Secondly: C'mon, really? Are the Braves that petty? I mean, I guess they are since the mascot (the mascot!) had to catch the ceremonial first pitch, but this is silly. Grow up and prove Chipper wrong, that's the appropriate response. Not stamping your feet and refusing to participate.

Between this and the recent "fun police" stuff with Jose Fernandez and Carlos Gomez, the Braves sure are an unlikable bunch.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24051152/braves-players-boycotted-chipper-jones-first-pitch-in-nlds-game-1

Stay classy Braves LOL

I have one question. Why is it OK for a pitcher to celebrate, pump their fist or prance around the mound after a big SO, but if a hitter stare at a HR, take his time around the bases or flips a bat after a HR, there's a problem?

I'm in Atlanta for work right now and between the Falcons and the Braves its a very sad city today.  (It's pretty rare that two of a cities' teams end their seasons in one night -- one literal, one figurative).

On a sidenote, let me take this opportunity to thank all of the ES members who chose the Falcons to lose this week in the survivor pool.

I have one question. Why is it OK for a pitcher to celebrate, pump their fist or prance around the mound after a big SO, but if a hitter stare at a HR, take his time around the bases or flips a bat after a HR, there's a problem?

Don't question the unwritten rules!

The issue is there never used to be a pitcher who did that. This is a very recent (last 10 year) development. In the old days, if a P acted a fool, they took one in the back in their next AB. Of course, with the Braves that would result in McCann acting butt-hurt and a bench clearing brawl at least 3 times over the rest of the season.

Archived