Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Bubble Screen

Another National League game on Sunday night next week.

Is it just me or do they have more NL Sunday Night Games than AL games?

People want to see the Braves, bruh. Don't hate. And the Cards are hugely popular as well.

These arent your father's Yanks. Surely you don't think they should be on more.

I remember the Braves not being able to sellout playoff games. They were "almost" the Bills of MLB. But back on topic, even the Cubs and Mets seem to make it to Sunday Night quite often.
And yet the Nats aren't on a lot of national telecasts.

But, I'm a National League guy, so I'm happy with it otherwise. Besides, the Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers seem to be on ESPN all the time.

The Nats are still very new. They haven't been around long enough to sustain a national following (no pun intended). And it didn't help matters that they have been a bust this year. If they had lived up to expectations, they would have been on national tv more. it's understandable that the networks are putting on the more popular teams each week. I actually think ESPN and Fox have done a better job recently of putting different teams on.

The Braves have fans in other cities because TBS used to show almost all of their games nationally (much like WGN still does with the Cubs). Any market that didn't have a MLB team was force fed the Braves. It didn't hurt that the Braves were successful during those times.

BTW - I would suspect that the DC area (including Baltimore) is more transient than Atlanta. But I have no data to back that up with.

;)

Yeah, I was going to mention TBS, but I figured most people know that's how the Braves gained their following. They were terrible for a lot of those years, too, however. I know this, because when I first started watching them, they were awful. I remember vividly attending games at Fulton County Stadium when there were about 5,000 people in the stands.

The incessant and annoying chop and chant don't help, either.

It's as stupid and pointless as the Wave and beach balls at Dodger games.

The wave is the worst thing to happen to sports since the Designated Hitter.

Angry AL fans in 3...2...1...

Truer words have never been spoken.

Another National League game on Sunday night next week.Is it just me or do they have more NL Sunday Night Games than AL games?

People want to see the Braves, bruh. Don't hate. And the Cards are hugely popular as well.These arent your father's Yanks. Surely you don't think they should be on more.
I remember the Braves not being able to sellout playoff games. They were "almost" the Bills of MLB. But back on topic, even the Cubs and Mets seem to make it to Sunday Night quite often.
The whole playoff thing is a silly argument. The Braves won their division 14 straight years. The fans in Atlanta became spoiled. Going to the playoffs every year was the norm, so the excitement waned a bit. Plus the city of Atlanta is very much a transient city.If you want to knock the city of Atlanta, fine. I have no problem with that. But dont try and tell me that the Braves don't have fans. Ask Nats fans about all the Braves fans at their place. Ask Dodger fans. Ask any fan, really. There are a lot of Braves fans throughout the country.And, btw, I'm sure you, as an O's fan, would trade places with the Braves during their run of division titles. 14 straight division titles, man. No other team has done that. And we won a WS, so even mentioning the Bills is stupid. You're just being a hater.

Yeah, they had to win 14 straight years to make up for the 80's. I should know, their sorry asses used to pre-empt my NWA wrestling all the time.

Gotta say, I am mighty impressed with my A's so far.

Still expect the AL West race to end up a close one, but opening up a 6 game lead going into August is pretty sweet,

The keep finding ways to win in exciting ways.

Yeah, I did not expect the A's to look this good this year. I'm alright with the A's. You guys seem to have a good fanbase and God knows Oakland is due for a winner.

wow the Rpckies blew that game lol

Arenado's error in the 4tj that led to 3 more runs blew it.

Yeah, they did. That error was a killer. Also felt they might have left De La Rosa out there too long. He wasn't sharp at all.

As excited as I am about this win, I'm not convinced we will have enough starting pitching to go deep in the playoffs. Losing Hudson was terrible. Beachy might not get back to the level he was before the injury, this year. Teheran, Minor and Medlen are all solid, but very little playoff experience. And Maholm is just too shaky.

It's amazing that the Braves are 16 games over .500 with that lineup. You've got three guys hitting .227 or lower in the lineup every day. You've got Justin Upton underperforming at .249. And yet they keep right on winning.

Plus, they are without Hudson and Maholm. Haven't had Venters and O'Flaherty in the pen. And the OF has been beset with injuries. Heyward has been leading off and playing out of position in CF. Despite all that, they just swept the best team in baseball, and last night rallied from 5-0 down to win 9-8.

Get instant replay MLB. Enough ridiculous screwjobs, it is 2013.

Agreed.

GO BRAVES!!

The Braves are on an incredible roll. First they swept the Cards. Then they went ballistic on the Rockies. Scored 6 or more runs in an inning in three straight games lol.

And could someone explain to Mr. Harper that his team isn't catching Atlanta Lmao. That's a clown answer, bro.

Not a fan of A-Rod, but I don't agree with a lifetime suspension.

ARod has multiple violations though, right? And he's alleged to have paid to shut up doctors who have hooked him up with banned substances.

I suspect baseball would be forever better off without ARod (and Braun, Melky, Colon, etc)...but I don't see it happening.

ARod has multiple violations though, right? And he's alleged to have paid to shut up doctors who have hooked him up with banned substances.

I suspect baseball would be forever better off without ARod (and Braun, Melky, Colon, etc)...but I don't see it happening.

There's no chance he gets banned for life. Selig may give him one, but it won't stick. The players association wouldn't allow it.

Btw, I don't recall Arod ever failing a test, though he did admit to using while with the Rangers.

There's no chance he gets banned for life. Selig may give him one, but it won't stick. The players association wouldn't allow it.

Btw, I don't recall Arod ever failing a test, though he did admit to using while with the Rangers.

He tested positive back in 2003.

In February 2009, Selena Roberts and David Epstein of Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez had tested positive for two anabolic steroidstestosterone and Primobolan, during his 2003 season playing for the Texas Rangers, the same season in which he captured his first American League Most Valuable Player award, broke 300 career home runs (hitting 47 that year),[94] and earned one of his ten Silver Slugger Awards. The information had been part of a government-sealed report detailing 104 major league players (out of 1200 players tested)[23] who tested positive for performance enhancers during a 2003 drug survey. Approved by the players themselves with the promise of anonymity,[23] the survey was conducted by Major League Baseball to see whether a mandatory drug testing program might be necessary. At the time, as the result of a collectively bargained union agreement,[23] there was no penalty or punishment for a positive test.[22][95] Because more than 5% of the samples taken from players in 2003 came back positive, mandatory testing of major league baseball players began in 2004, with penalties for violations.[24]

The 2003 test results were supposed to remain anonymous and the samples destroyed. However, a coded master list of 104 players was seized during the BALCO investigation, turning up in a 2004 federal raid on Comprehensive Drug Testing's facility in Long Beach, California. A month later, the physical samples were seized by federal agents raiding Quest Diagnostics in Las Vegas, Nevada.[24] The list of the 104 positive-testing players was released to the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) in 2004.[6][96] The players' union later said that the 104 positive samples were in the process of being destroyed when they were subpoenaed by federal authorities in November 2003, making continued destruction "improper."[96]

Although testosterone is available by prescription for some uses, Primobolan has no approved prescription use.[22] Also known as methenolone or metenolone enanthate, it is the same steroid that Barry Bonds is alleged to have tested positive for in 2000 and 2001.[24] A fairly weak steroid on its own, it is generally used in conjunction with other steroids.[97] The drug is generally preferred in injected rather than oral form due to its cost.[97] An official statement by Major League Baseball made shortly after Rodriguez's test results became public expressed "grave concern" without naming Rodriguez, noting that "because the survey testing that took place in 2003 was intended to be non-disciplinary and anonymous, we can not make any comment on the accuracy of this report as it pertains to the player named."[98]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Rodriguez

His involvement with Biogenesis should be considered his 2nd violation...but I'm sure it won't be.

Archived