Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Bubble Screen

Tired of people saying that mentioning a no-hitter will somehow MAGICALLY impact a player's chances. Like if he hears what you say on the internet, he will suddenly remember he is throwing a no-hitter and give up a home run.

What you type on these forums, or say on television, has no effect on what happens in the game. If I say no-hitter when a pitcher is through 6 without giving up a hit, that's not going to make the pitcher give up a hit. It can't work that way.

In the old days, before the advent of technology, the old adage might have applied. But not today. Not in 2013.

Tired of people saying that mentioning a no-hitter will somehow MAGICALLY impact a player's chances. Like if he hears what you say on the internet, he will suddenly remember he is throwing a no-hitter and give up a home run.

What you type on these forums, or say on television, has no effect on what happens in the game. If I say no-hitter when a pitcher is through 6 without giving up a hit, that's not going to make the pitcher give up a hit. It can't work that way.

In the old days, before the advent of technology, the old adage might have applied. But not today. Not in 2013.

Did you ever play baseball?

It's easily the most superstitious of all sports.

Buchholz no-hitter through 7. 6 outs to go.

Umm, you sure about that? LOL

I'm sorry..but why?

Should MLB pitchers be suspended every time they hit someone and cause injury?

even if they did, it wouldnt be fair, it would work out how they do it now. Player gets suspended for 8 games, a player missed 8 games, but if a starting pitcher gets an 8 game suspension, he only misses one start. Think about it for a second, Greinke could have thrown at the guy, then went after him to fight instead of the other way around, have the batter break his collar bone and probably only miss 1 start. This is why I don't have sympathy for Greinke or any other pitcher who gets injured.

As for Grenike though, he does seem to have an awful lot of balls get away from him when this guy is batting, kinda srange once you think about it, a MLB star pitcher who can paint the corners of the strikezone always seems to have a ball get away from him but only when this dude was batting? doesn't pass the sniff test and then add to it Greinke's comments about how he thinks the dude crowds the plate to intimidate pitchers and it makes me think he knew exactly where that pitch was going, or maybe he tried to throw inside & close and didn't really care if he hit him or not.

Now that Reyes is down for my Jays, I am just hoping they can stay near .500 until he returns. Massive blow to the Blue Jays, Reyes was hitting over .400, the only real Jay to have his bat going in the early on. His defense, base running, batting lead off and general enegry will be missed, but with some creative roster moves, like putting Buatista at 3rd base & Lawrie to 2nd when he returns, (which is what I thought they should have done during the offseason) can help mitigate Reyes' loss. I think they will go with Bonifacio hitting lead off and play him at CF or RF while Buatista plays 3rd.

I think this might be a blessing in disgue for the Blue Jays & their fans. Expectations where so high at the beginning of the year that anythign short of a World Series win would have been a bust, but this was a .500 ball club last year that game up 10 gaems short of .500 due to massive injury problems and really this year they should focus on making the playoffs and finding out what holes they need to fill to compete for next year, kinda like the spot the Nationals where in a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought ix was an Orioles fan.
I support all local teams in the DC area

ix supports pretty much any team that is good, not named the Atlanta Braves or Duke Blue Devils.

Seriously, I've lost count of all the teams he likes. I'll give it a shot though:

College basketball--

Maryland

Georgetown

Virginia Tech

Michigan

VCU

Syracuse

MLB--

New York (AL)

Baltimore

Washington

NFL--

Washington

Baltimore

ix is not a bad guy, but I can't take the guy seriously when it comes to sports. He has no idea what it's like to be a diehard fan. The guy pulls for both Syracuse and Georgetown. Nevermind that they have been bitter rivals over the years in the Big East. And then he's a fan of both the O's and Nationals. I wasn't even aware of him being an O's fan until now..:ols: Even though those two teams are in different leagues, it's still ridiculous to pull for both of them. Everyone I know either stayed an O's fan when the Nats arrived, or gave up the O's for the Nats.

And how he can even begin to justify liking the Ravens is beyond me..:doh:

Braves just keep chugging along. 4 straight over the Nats, 8 straight, going back to last year. Braves are 16-9, despite playing 16 of first 25 games on the road.

16-9, despite 6 time All Star catcher Brian McCann not playing a single game.

16-9, despite 1B Freddie Freeman missing 14 games.

16-9, despite Jason Heyward hitting .121 and currently on DL after an appendectomy.

16-9, despite BJ Upton hitting .146.

16-9, despite Dan Uggla hitting .177.

16-9, despite 5th starter Julio Teheran sporting a 5.08 era.

I love this team.

Archived