Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Bubble Screen

^ That was the worst ball/strike call I've ever seen. Like really, ever. It wasn't even borderline, the catcher didn't frame anything. Terrible. I am all for technology and an electronic ball/strike call. Replays for plays at the bags and plate. I've been saying this for years. Too many missed calls in baseball.

^ That was the worst ball/strike call I've ever seen. Like really, ever. It wasn't even borderline, the catcher didn't frame anything. Terrible. I am all for technology and an electronic ball/strike call. Replays for plays at the bags and plate. I've been saying this for years. Too many missed calls in baseball.

That call was disgusting. Its like the ump had somewhere more important to be and called that a strike just to end the game.

I love HD Slow-Mo replay...but even without that awful call yesterday that you could see at real time with the naked eye. We've already seen a calls in most every game that the replay shows was wrong. From a guy stealing a base cleanly but being called out, to a runner beating out a throw and not getting that call either.

Early season for the Umps too. I think they'll get better....and will never be perfect. That's what jerks like Costas love about the game, imperfection.

Red Sox looking pretty good so far. Lackey injury may actually be addition by subtraction.

At any rate, looking like class of division so far with Farrell back with SP's.

Really? I thought Lackey looked pretty good before his injury, especially considering it was his first start in over a year. Not really sure I'm excited about the prospect of Aceves being in the rotation for any extended period of time.

Both Quentin and Greinke were really immature last night. The brawl should have been avoided but Quentin's emotions got the best of him.

I suspect their past history had something to do with it. As a pitcher, how do you continue to hit a player when you face him and not expect that player to get mad? Sure - Quentin should have handled it better...

I suspect their past history had something to do with it. As a pitcher, how do you continue to hit a player when you face him and not expect that player to get mad? Sure - Quentin should have handled it better...

It's a 3-2 pitch in a 2-1 game on a player who always leans in and has of history of getting hit by a lot of pitchers. More than any player in the league. Greinke shouldn't have said something to him after the pitch tho...but hitting Quentin with the pitch wasn't intentional at all.

What I really don't understand is why baseball doesn't institute an NBA like rule. It wouldn't have necessarily prevented the Greienke injury, but would end some of the stupidity, ugliness, and delay of these sitation.

If you leave the dugout or the bullpen because of a fight, it is an automatic two game suspension, and no staggering them. If a team has to essentially call up their AAA team for a two games, that's on them.

What I really don't understand is why baseball doesn't institute an NBA like rule. It wouldn't have necessarily prevented the Greienke injury, but would end some of the stupidity, ugliness, and delay of these sitation.

If you leave the dugout or the bullpen because of a fight, it is an automatic two game suspension, and no staggering them. If a team has to essentially call up their AAA team for a two games, that's on them.

I think the only reason they don't do that is it would essentially be a 9 on 1, i.e all of the fielders/pitchers/catcher vs the batter

I think the only reason they don't do that is it would essentially be a 9 on 1, i.e all of the fielders/pitchers/catcher vs the batter

Which would be a deterent to people charging the mound and may have prevented the Grienke injury.

Eventually in those big brawls (which are rare) things are really going to get out of control and people are really going to get hurt, on top of injuries like this one.

Quentin gets hit more often than any hitter since Craig Biggio. When a guy attempts to make HBP a legitimate part of his OBP, then he sort of loses the right to get upset when he gets what he wants.

Again, Quentin was leading off an inning in a 2-1 game and got hit on a 3-2 count in a pitch sequence that was all breaking balls down and in and fastballs down and away. The last breaking ball just didn't have the "down" part. Also, is there a source specifically stating that Greinke was going for Quentin's head in the past? That's what "beaning" means.

I do have one prediction: when Quentin goes to LA, there won't be any ambiguity over whether the next HBP is intentional or not.

I'm also seriously thinking MLB should take from the precedent of Florida Superior Court's Roop v. Graham. Quentin is suspended until Greinke is back on a major league mound pitching again.

First baseball game I have bought since consoles had wired controllers and only 2 action buttons (Little League World Series on NES!).

I logged more hours on that game than I care to remember. In fact, I still have a working copy. We could probably spend a day having an inside discussion about that game that no one else would understand. Saul from New York was a beast.

I don't think MLB should do anything about a batter leaving the box and going after the pitcher. That stuff is just part of the game. It's just that in this instance, Quentin was out of line. As someone mentioned, Greinke wasn't trying to plunk him there. It was a 3-2 pitch in a 2-1 ballgame. Quentin should have had more sense. At the same time, I think Greinke shouldn't have said anything back to him either, given their past history.

I think the 8-game suspension is fair. But I doubt this is over. The Dodgers will probably plunk him again the next time they meet.

Archived