Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Bubble Screen

Bronson Arroyo.  He's got 105 wins since joining the Reds in 2006, which I admit surprised the hell out of me.

Hudson has 99 in that same span (113 total since joining the Braves in 2005)

Huh, go figure lol. Arroyo has been a decent pitcher, nothing special. Think he's done better in the NL though.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24250972/fielder-for-kinsler-bloickbuster-is-on-the-table

The Rangers and Tigers have agreed on a blockbuster deal to send Prince Fielder to Texas for Ian Kinsler, pending physical, CBSSports.com has learned.

There could be another player involved in the trade as potential as well, but that hasn't been confirmed. There may also be money involved as Fielder's $214 million contract is much larger.

Fielder has a limited no-trade clause that includes the Rangers. But it is believed he is willing to accept the deal.

Think it's a rare good trade for both teams. Fielder's power will be huge in Texas. He should easily have 40-45 HRs there. Kinsler gives the Tigers more flexibilty because they cab either have Miggy play 3B, 1B, or DH and can have Martinez play 1B or DH. Just opens up some more options for them and saves them some cash. Kinsler is a very good player in his own right. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a really nice pickup for the Tigers.

Think it's a rare good trade for both teams. Fielder's power will be huge in Texas. He should easily have 40-45 HRs there. Kinsler gives the Tigers more flexibilty because they cab either have Miggy play 3B, 1B, or DH and can have Martinez play 1B or DH. Just opens up some more options for them and saves them some cash. Kinsler is a very good player in his own right. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a really nice pickup for the Tigers.

I dunno about hitting 40-45 HR, but it's a great move for the Tigers because they get rid of that enormous contract.

It might take Scherzer off the market now that they can pay him.

Exactly. Plus Fielder has been horrible in the playoffs lately. And there are rumors floating around that he didn't seem to care about losing in the playoffs. Dude needs to drop some lbs, too.

Its why I wasn't that mad when the Nats missed out on him. I didn't want to sign him to anything over 5 years.

Braves getting some new digs. Supposedly close to a 700 million stadium. Just gives the haters more reason to hate. :)

Both the Falcons and Braves getting new stadiums when neither stadium is over 20 years old.  I've been in the GA Dome.  While it looked dull, it wasn't bad.  I was in the upper deck and could see everything. 

Not sure why the Braves want a new stadium.  Turner Field is barely 15 years old.  Does it not have skyboxes or something?  Seems like a waste of money for the city.

EDIT: Looks like Brilz answered my question.  Sorry BS.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/greg-maddux-tom-glavine-frank-thomas-among-newcomers-to-hall-of-fame-ballot-112613

Four-time Cy Young Award winner Greg Maddux, two-time winner Tom Glavine and two-time AL MVP Frank Thomas are among 19 newcomers on this year's Hall of Fame ballot, joining steroid-tainted holdovers Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa.

Mike Mussina, Hideo Nomo, Kenny Rogers, Jeff Kent, Moises Alou and Luis Gonzalez also are among the players eligible to be voted on for the first time by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Voters are the approximately 600 writers who have been members of the BBWAA for 10 consecutive years at any point. Ballots are due by Dec. 31, and results will be announced Jan. 8.

Players elected along with choices announced Dec. 9 by the expansion era committee (1973 and later) will be inducted July 27 at Cooperstown. Among those on the committee ballot are retired managers Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa and Joe Torre; late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner; and late players' union head Marvin Miller.

Last year, the BBWAA failed for the first time since 1996 to produce any inductees. Craig Biggio came closest to receiving the necessary 75 percent, falling 39 shy with 388 (68.2 percent).

Jack Morris, who will be on the ballot for the final time this year, was second with 67.7 percent, followed by Jeff Bagwell (59.6), Mike Piazza (57.8), Tim Raines (52.2), Lee Smith (47.8) and Curt Schilling (38.8).

It would be pretty cool to see Bobby Cox go in with Maddux and Glavine. 

I'll be very interested to see Maddux's vote total.  I've always hated the thing where a couple writers vote against no-brainer 1st ballot guys not because they question the candidacy, but just to prevent anyone from ever getting 100%.  It's stupid.  Anyone who does it should be publicly named, ridiculed, and stripped of their vote. 

The mad dog is not only one of the greatest pitchers to ever take the mound, and one of the best fielders ever at his position, he was also a pretty reliable hitter for a pitcher, a great bunter,  a consummate professional and by all accounts a genuinely good person.  How does a writer, in this day and age of PEDs and high profile bad behavior, justify not voting for a guy like that?  It boggles the mind to even think about it.

No more Chris Stewart catching!!!

I hate Brian McCann but I'd take anyone over Stewart.

Ok, I'll bite. Why on earth do you hate McCann? The guy is an awesome dude. Great teammate. Solid player.

Please don't tell me it's because you listen to these disgruntled Nats fans, who whined about him putting Fernandez and the Brewers hitter in their place. If so, note that BOTH players later apoligized for their behavior (admitted what they did was wrong)

As for the deal: I think you guys may have overpaid for him. But that may be the market, I dunno. But he's a perfect fit for that team. He's obviously much better than anyone you had. Plus he can always DH, and possibly play 1B down the road.

Big move by the Yankees. Can Ellsbury stay healthy? Will it matter much if Cano were to leave? Still a bunch of holes in that offense. Teixera is close to be washed up if he can't get through this season again, Jeter is on his victory lap, ARod is long done, Sabathia didn't look right, and they'll need a closer.

Cano and Jay know damn well that going to SEA would be a death trap. No one is else is willing to go as high as them so he'll just have to come down on that price and finish up in the Bronx.

Rob will be in pinstripes again.

Ells

Jetes

Cano

Tex

McCann

Sori

Kelly Johnson

Ich

Gardy

CC is still serviceable. Kuroda should be back and hopefully we can bring over Tanaka from Japan. Still have Nova and Mike Pineda as well as Phelps and Nuno.

As long as we bring back Rob, we're straight. 

Jay-Z probably just made the dumbest move every by an agent...

Robinson Cano's bid to join Seattle Mariners ends on sour note thanks to Jay Z: sources
The Mariners’ efforts to lure Robinson Cano to Seattle as the latest $200 million player have apparently ended on a sour note.

According to two sources briefed on the negotiations, talks between the Mariners  the free agent second baseman’s lone stalking horse  and Cano’s camp  led by rapper-turned super-agent Jay Z and CAA’s Brodie Van Wagenen  collapsed after Jay Z overplayed his hand during Thursday night’s negotiating session.

Cano and his entourage arrived in Seattle with what sources described as basically an eight-year, $200 million deal in hand along with assurances that Seattle would go to nine years and $225 million, a figure confirmed late Thursday night by the Daily News. 

But when Jay Z then upped the ante and demanded 10 years and $252 million  the same deal Alex Rodriguez took more than a decade ago when he left the Mariners for the Rangers  Mariners chairman and CEO Howard Lincoln apparently “exploded,” according to one of the sources, ending the meeting.

“It doesn’t look like we’re getting him,” a Mariners source said, adding that Seattle did not seem inclined to reignite talks with a player that clearly didn’t want to go there. 

Terrible move by Jay Z. That's why Cano was nuts hiring Jay Z for his biggest contract of his life right now. There's no way Cano gets what he wants. The Mariners may have been the closest to doing that, but probably won't now. He's going back to NY, everyone knows that. And when he does, it'll certainly be for less than he was hoping.

Ok, I'll bite. Why on earth do you hate McCann? The guy is an awesome dude. Great teammate. Solid player.

Please don't tell me it's because you listen to these disgruntled Nats fans, who whined about him putting Fernandez and the Brewers hitter in their place. If so, note that BOTH players later apoligized for their behavior (admitted what they did was wrong)

As for the deal: I think you guys may have overpaid for him. But that may be the market, I dunno. But he's a perfect fit for that team. He's obviously much better than anyone you had. Plus he can always DH, and possibly play 1B down the road.

McCann is a ****, plain and simple. The Braves had more bench clearing incidents than any other MLB team last year. Hint: it wasn't the other team that had issues.

Now to the signing of McCann to a 5 year $85M contract? He will be 34 at the end of the contract. Catchers don't stay behind the plate to 34. Where is he going to play? DH? 1B? The Yanks overpaid. $17M/year? 2nd highest paid catcher in MLB? 

Archived