Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Bubble Screen

Mark Zuckerman

‏@ZuckermanCSN

Kind of major news here at Winter Meetings: Sandy Alderson says MLB Rules Committee has voted to eliminate all home plate collisions.

Best thing ever!!!! I've been wanting this changed ever since Posey was injured. If you can't run over someone on the first three bases, you shouldn't be able to do it on the fourth. The catchers are in a very vulnerable position.

What? So now a C can block the plate and if you make contact you are suspended? WTF? Don't want to get run over? Don't block the plate. Simple as that.

How about sliding? It's the new thing.

Um, so the Rangers just drafted Russell Wilson in the Rule 5 draft...

From Rotoworld:

MLB's Texas Rangers took Russell Wilson in the minor league phase of Thursday's Rule 5 draft.

Back in 2010, Wilson was drafted in the fourth round of the standard draft by the Rockies. He hit .229 with five homers and 19 steals while playing some Class A ball for Colorado between 2010 and 2011. The Rangers know Wilson isn't going to be a two-sport player, but it only cost them $12,000 to make him a part of their organization. "I think that's going to be a positive message for all of our players in our system, our coaches, everybody to have somebody like that around," Rangers assistant GM A.J. Preller said.

I should post this in the pwn3d thread.

;)

j/k 

Last I read, Cano was going to Seattle. I can't see the Yankees bridging that reported $80 mil gap between what Cano is looking for and what they are offering - especially after the ridiculous amount they paid Ellsbury.

Cano and Jay know damn well that going to SEA would be a death trap. No one is else is willing to go as high as them so he'll just have to come down on that price and finish up in the Bronx.

Rob will be in pinstripes again.

Ells

Jetes

Cano

Tex

McCann

Sori

Kelly Johnson

Ich

Gardy

CC is still serviceable. Kuroda should be back and hopefully we can bring over Tanaka from Japan. Still have Nova and Mike Pineda as well as Phelps and Nuno.

As long as we bring back Rob, we're straight. 

I still think the Yanks resign Cano. Jay-Z and Cano don't wanna be in Seattle and the Yanks will spend no matter what they say.

Wondering if Sabean/Bochy can work there magic again and get Mike Morse back to his 2010-12 numbers.

1 year deal for $5 mil for a LF who could hit 20+ homers, .290ish, 60-70+ rbis seems like a decent try.

Oh..and Beltran getting 3 years for $45mil is hysterical. His knees are already pushing 70 years...I bet he doesn't last 18months without missing significant time.

• 4 weeks later...

That can't be right. 

Carlton. Blyleven. Goose Gossage. Nolan Ryan. Phil Niekro. Jim Bunning. Rollie Fingers. Tom Seaver. Catfish Hunter. Gaylord Perry...just to name a few.

Hmm, I didn't think it sounded right when I saw it.

That can't be right. 

Carlton. Blyleven. Goose Gossage. Nolan Ryan. Phil Niekro. Jim Bunning. Rollie Fingers. Tom Seaver. Catfish Hunter. Gaylord Perry...just to name a few.

Sorry, it was guys that started playing after the 1970s.

Glavine gets in so easy but Morris is still on the outside looking in? Not to pick on Glavine, but does anyone think he's a better pitcher than Clemons even without steroids? Frank Thomas definitely deserved to get in, but he was no Barry Bonds.

Glavine gets in so easy but Morris is still on the outside looking in? Not to pick on Glavine, but does anyone think he's a better pitcher than Clemons even without steroids? Frank Thomas definitely deserved to get in, but he was no Barry Bonds.

no, but these writers have fake morals and standards.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10261642/mlb-hall-fame-voting-steroid-era

As sports fans, we've decided two things about the annual Baseball Hall of Fame announcement. First, we don't want to flatter the voters — that is, baseball writers — by talking about their nay votes for PED users, their moral preening, or their hand-wringing about the "soul" of baseball.

Second, we've decided that we can't stop talking about this. Let's expand the ballot, reimagine the electorate, etc.

What's missing is a portrait of baseball writers during the Steroid Era. The Baseball Writers' Association of America grants its nearly 600 voting members a curious privilege: They're responsible for shaping a player's reputation both during his career and after his retirement. They write the game story and then row the boat across the River Styx.

When a Hall voter sees the name of a PED user on his ballot, he's not staring at an entry on Baseball-Reference.com. That same voter was also the PED user's chronicler and idolater; he covered his fall from grace; he heard his confession. The player's doping had a direct and often negative effect on his career. Deacon White is an abstraction. Mark McGwire is a professional trauma.

The relationship between reporter and subject was never more vivid than between 1988 and 2010. In 1988, a Washington Post columnist leveled the first serious charge of steroid use in Major League Baseball. In 2010, McGwire confessed his own use and put a period on the era. (Ryan Braun and Alex Rodriguez continued the story from there.) Below, I recount scenes from that span in the form of a detective story — one in which the detectives were brilliant, buffoonish, or thoroughly uninterested in the job. For baseball writers, this period is when innocence was lost, when their jobs changed forever. The Hall of Fame vote is not some new expression of professional grief. It is an echo.

Really interesting read

Was just going to post this.

I've never been a LeBatard fan, but he earned my respect with this. His reasoning for doing so is why there needs to be reform, not just for the way the Baseball Hall of Fame is voted on, but also the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

You thought Glav was borderline? Wow. No words.

And these idiots that didn't vote for Maddux should never vote again. It's that simple.

Borderline first ballot, yes (especially with the way the HOF voters treat first ballot players).

The greatest player ever, Willie Mays, received only 94.6% of the vote his first year. I wouldn't sweat the idiot voters who left Maddux off their ballot. 

Archived