Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Bubble Screen

So the greatest thing that Dan Le Batard did with his HOF vote got him banned for life with voting and suspended from the BBWAA for a whole year. 

The Baseball Writers' Association of America announced today that Dan Le Batard, whoturned his Hall of Fame ballot over to you, the people, has been banned for life from voting for the HOF and suspended from the BBWAA for one year.                                      

http://deadspin.com/dan-le-batard-loses-hall-of-fame-vote-suspended-from-b-1498090172?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

These guys remind me of the 77 year old at your local VFW or American Legion hall always talking about the good ole days of the war and talk about who deserved to receive their commission because he was the "right guy" at the time. They need to have some new voters in, and forgot about who deserves to get in. Bonds and Clemens should already be in, but they won't vote them in. 

Wins wasn't my only argument. You clearly didn't read all my posts to DM.

Yeah, but that was your main argument. Other than that, they're numbers are pretty much the same. Again, my tiebreaker is they're postseason records.

So the greatest thing that Dan Le Batard did with his HOF vote got him banned for life with voting and suspended from the BBWAA for a whole year. 

http://deadspin.com/dan-le-batard-loses-hall-of-fame-vote-suspended-from-b-1498090172?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

These guys remind me of the 77 year old at your local VFW or American Legion hall always talking about the good ole days of the war and talk about who deserved to receive their commission because he was the "right guy" at the time. They need to have some new voters in, and forgot about who deserves to get in. Bonds and Clemens should already be in, but they won't vote them in. 

They going to ban the ones who voted for Jacque Jones & Armando Benitez as well?

I don't really have an issue with what Le Batard did

To be fair, you can't vote everybody in. Next year we know Johnson and Pedro will get in. Smoltz "might" get in. In 2016 there will probably be at least 3 more sure bets, so guys like Sheffield and Mussina will have to wait a few years for the call.

Sheffield may get the Bagwell/Piazza guilt by association treatment for several years. The ballot will be a bigger mess in the coming years. 

They going to ban the ones who voted for Jacque Jones & Armando Benitez as well?

I don't really have an issue with what Le Batard did

Same with me. How is what he did any differently than the guy who submitted a blank ballot? Or the guy who only voted for Morris? Or the idiot who voted for Armando Benitez? Is it because he gave his vote to someone else?

Then Costas said last night that fan's shouldn't vote because they would just vote for their favorites. Really Bob? Isn't that what these BBWA members are doing now anyway?

The BBWAA proved Le Batard's point by reacting the way they did.

Did you guys see PTI? They really wanted to blame Le Batard for Biggio not getting in but they couldn't because he was on his ballot. Clowns.

And that was the main thing, it's not like his ballot was full of guys like Benitez and Jacque Jones. The Deadspin ballot was inline with what everyone else voted. I'd probably argue it was close to what LeBatard was going to vote.

I could understand outrage if the ballot was for a bunch of scrubs or something, but their top 3 chocies were the 3 guys that got in. Not sure what the issue was with the vote.

And that was the main thing, it's not like his ballot was full of guys like Benitez and Jacque Jones. The Deadspin ballot was inline with what everyone else voted. I'd probably argue it was close to what LeBatard was going to vote.

I could understand outrage if the ballot was for a bunch of scrubs or something, but their top 3 chocies were the 3 guys that got in. Not sure what the issue was with the vote.

Because the BBWAA think like 77 year olds and want to keep up with the "tradition" of the HOF and vote for their "favorite". Le Batard just proved to them that the process is flawed, and outsmarted the voters at the same time. So of course they are feeling some sort of way right now what Dan did. 

My question is this, when will the voters vote Bonds and Clemens in? This Guilt By Association is complete BS. 

My question is this, when will the voters vote Bonds and Clemens in? This Guilt By Association is complete BS. 

You think Bonds and Clemens are only guilty by association?

I mean, I agree with you that the guilt by association trend is there and it's total BS.  But that's not what is happening with either of those guys. 

I've never understood the fascination with all the advanced stats in baseball.  I know the two sports aren't comparable, but Peyton Manning isn't getting in the HOF because his yards per pass is 10.1.  He's getting in because of his yards, TD passes, completions, etc. 

I grew up with the usual stats- Batting avg., HRs, RBI, Steals, doubles, triples, hits, etc.  To me, the only people who should be using the advanced stats are fantasy baseball owners and the Oakland A's.  I know I'll never get a vote, but I would stick to the usual stats if I did. 

Yes that sounds old and crusty, but hey, they flash the avg, hrs and rbi on the screen during every at bat, not his DVOA score.

Eh, I know I'll be chastised for this post, but it's just the way I feel, not that I think I'm right and everyone else is wrong. I understand the way the game is going nowadays in regards to stats, but it seems to be that you can twist advanced stats alot further then the old fashioned stats.

Ken RosenthalVerified account

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source confirms: Kershaw, #Dodgers in agreement on seven-year, $215M deal. First reported by @ramonashelburne.

Ken RosenthalVerified account

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Kershaw’s $30.7M average annual salary in his new deal with #Dodgers is a record.

Archived