Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are we at a point where firing Haslett NOW should be seriously considered?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The inevitable must happen, eventually, so why not now; send a message to the show-offs on the team that if you can't play you won't be here long.

Honestly, did anyone ever expect anything different out of Haslett? The Rams Steelers and Saints showed him the door, doesn't that project a wee bit of a hint?

Yes, the scheme AND some players are to blame; moreso the scheme, especially when the cb's are playing 10 yards off the line on 3rd & 6, with Gomes looking as if he's running through mud, and not 1 player that I saw looking back to see if MAYBE the ball might be coming their way.

I still like the cb's, but a different style of coaching is needed for the secondary, which is looking much worse than Dallas' was last year...

SIC

Firing Haslett would be idiotic. This secondary is literally one of the most untalented groups in the league. Wilson was a third corner in Baltimore, and now we expect him to cover the opposing teams' best receiver?

Deangelo is terrible. Especially when he has a man assignment. M. Williams, Jackson, and Merriweather were all castaways, and anyone who thought other wise is crazy.

We can't just blame Haslett when the talent simply is not there--Shahanan and Allen deserve the blame too.

I'll vote...next week. Tampa has scored 16, 34, and 10 points. The 34 was against a Giants D with an even worse secondary than ours. We should be able to keep them somewhat contained next week.

If we end up giving up more than 30 points next week, in addition to a ton of yardage, and it's not all personnel blowing assignments, then we might be at the point where firing Haslett begins to make more sense. As much as I've disliked the job Haslett has done so far this season (and the end of last one), I think 3 games in might be a little too early unless something drastic happens.

Nope. Doesn't help to fire a coach when the GM (past and present) and FO is the real reason we are where we are today. We have a qb that's dynamic and we're putting up points but it's obviously not going to get us anywhere in terms of wins. And, believe me, it won't moving forward either....at least this year and probably next.

Our woes are due to poor scouting, failed FA acquisitions, and mishandled salary cap transactions and draft picks. I love Griffin, but in terms of cost we overpaid. We just have too many holes and we can't possibly fill those holes this year or next without giving up our best players in a trade. We're not doing that. That would be foolish. We're looking at a three year plan again. Guess Shanahan's initial three year plan has turned into a six year plan. Woops :ols:

On a side note:

I'm willing to wait for wins/team results b/c Griffin III is that special, but I'll be damned if I'm going to watch him get killed every week. He just won't last. BTW, I typed this prior to B-Mitch's comment on Postgame ;) )Shanahan needs to pump the breaks on the option **** and keep RGIII in the pocket as much as possible...even if they have to max protect 50% of the time.

Protect the investment and think about firing coaches and/or firing FO staff in the offseason. It won't do any good to fire staff now or anytime during the season for that matter. I'd like to fire Bruce Allen and Shanahan. Sure, consistency is important but it won't matter with RGIII. He can do it all no matter who the coach is. Plus, the roster blows on the whole so who really cares about continuity when you have a ****ty roster? Not I said the cow :pfft:

If you look at the results of this current FO/staff and include the projected results of this year based on the ST and Defensive performances respectively, they're not even close to getting it done. No knee jerk reaction here, but this shiny new quarterback can't fix any of the underlying issues we have had for as long as I can remember under Snyder. We still mishandle money/contracts, make poor FA acquisitions, and give up too much in the draft. Same approach (with a twist I'll grant you) with the same results. We look like the Denver Broncos post-Elway :ols: Old habits die hard :(

Not trying to seem rude but you can't actually believe all of that? This team has a lot of young talent, more than we've had in quite some time. If we had a defense that could hold a team to at least 24 points we would be 3-0. Is that really to much to ask for?

Firing Haslett would be idiotic. This secondary is literally one of the most untalented groups in the league. Wilson was a third corner in Baltimore, and now we expect him to cover the opposing teams' best receiver?

Deangelo is terrible. Especially when he has a man assignment. M. Williams, Jackson, and Merriweather were all castaways, and anyone who thought other wise is crazy.

We can't just blame Haslett when the talent simply is not there--Shahanan and Allen deserve the blame too.

Unless I'm mistaken this is almost the exact same secondary as last year considering Landry was hurt the majority of the year. The only real difference is Madeiu Williams is playing instead of Reed Doughty.

OMG WOW!!! Get off your high horse....

Hiya phish. :)

First of all the OP and I get along fine and he was even cool enough to apologize in PM and we're all good (he's a fave poster of mine). :)

Second, there's no high horse involved (I don't do "high horse"), but we did have warnings on such matters in the forum per normal on gameday, and there was already an existing Haslett thread. :)

However the reasons I gave for "barely" leaving this one open were legit just as I stated. :)

Third, given your 9 previous violations from five mods, and this gem, enjoy your permanent ban. I can barely see you way down there from my horsie. :)

Gotta love technicalities, huh.

Did I spell technicalities correctly? :silly:

I was impressed.:pfft: :ols:

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

Why u mad though? :)

phish arrives mad. we only exist to give him a target. now he must find new hunting grounds. :cool:

This thread says "seriously considered" not just fired. I think that considering the utter meltdown Shanny and Bruce would be negligent not to sit down and look at the situation seriously. If firing the coach fixes this disaster then they owe it to the team and ownership to do what they must.

This is wrong. Gomes is a decent safety. Williams is a replacement level safety. Hall is average. Wilson is very good. We have a bunch of C- to C+ players with one B+ player. That does not and should not translate to having the worst secondary in football.

It is all relative. On how many teams would Gomes or Williams start?

No more than 5.

i.e. - bottom 5 safeties in the league.

i.e. - garbage.

A good defense should have NO "C- to C+" players. Let alone a decent defense.

This is untrue. Dolphins? Bengals? Rams? Panthers? Raiders? Colts? There are a lot worse DB groups out there. We're at worst below average.

With all due respect, how much football do you watch?

Even just watching the last two weeks of Redskins play, it's blatantly obvious that both the Rams and Bengals have better defensive backs.

If we hope to be a "good" defense (or even "mediocre"), the above mentioned defenses are NOT the ones we should be comparing ourselves to.

Haslett is ****. He has no conception of the strengths and weakness of the defense. He has no ability to adjust to the strengths and weaknesses of the offense. Again, double Green high-low with Gomes, play in every other WRs face, and challenge Dalton to complete slow-developing passes downfield when we WERE pressuring Dalton. Disguise our coverages. Run some stunts. Just do something that's at least somewhat innovative. Haslett was a LeBeau disciple supposedly - has he ever called a true zone blitz?

Right. Haslett - the guy who watches all the film, knows all of our players inside and out, and has been a professional coordinator in this league for decades -- has a lesser understanding of our players and effective defensive concepts as you.

If only we ran some stunts!

And I don't think you're watching our defense if you're not seeing zone blitzes

Can we find Greg Williams, shave his head, give him some plastic surgery to look like Rosie O'Donnell, and sneak him in under the name of Fritz McGruben? :silly:

At this point, I seriously doubt there's anything that Haslett can do for the defense right now, and come tuesday, fingers will begin to point, accusations will fly, and disruption will inevitably creep in to the Redskins organization.

My hopes for anything positive in the season is fading fast, not that I had high expectations, but damn, we're finally scoring points, not giving up the ball 5 times a game, only to see the defense give up more than we can score. The problem are multi-leveled, and may as well start now, and by the end of the season a shape might begin to take form, and hopefully next season we can look forward to a better defense, but going with the current situation will not do any good. None at all...

SIC

I'll stick up for Wilson and say he was a 3rd corner in Balt for half the season and started the other half and did a good job on Andre Johnson in one of those games. And then he started in Seattle, so it's not like he's a scrub. He's not going to the Pro Bowl or anything, but he's a competent corner.

The rest of 'em are terrible.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 06:21 PM ----------

Unless I'm mistaken this is almost the exact same secondary as last year considering Landry was hurt the majority of the year. The only real difference is Madeiu Williams is playing instead of Reed Doughty.

And unless you're not counting the nickel corner who plays a lot nowadays.

Archived