Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are we at a point where firing Haslett NOW should be seriously considered?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

guys, just so you know, the personnel is fine.

Hall is a decent corner. Wilson is actually a very good corner despite him having a horrendous day today. Our safeties are BETTER than they were last year - Gomes and Williams > Rookie Gomes/Doughty/who else did we have back there? The problem is that we play too soft, and when we try to man up, we don't do it right - we should be doubling Green high-low, pressing the rest of the WRs, and daring them to blow the defense's top off considering that we've been pressuring their OL all day, even with no Rak or Carriker. It doesn't help that Haslett cannot dial up a creative blitz to save his life - we haven't had truly creative and innovative blitz packages since Williams in 2004 and after that he got stale.

Fire Haslett, have Morris as interim DC and see if he can make the defense play respectably.

Also, as someone who loves what Shanny has done, he's made some very big personnel mistakes *coughjordanblackoverwilliesmithcough* and it's coming back to bite us. And there is really something wrong in how we seem to suffer multiple major injuries to key players every year.

The tipping point HAS to be against the Bucs next week. If we concede more than 28 points again and put on the same sorry showing, Haslett has to be gone. Look how the Rams offense played against the bears this week as opposed to us.

Josh Freeman has looked TERRIBLE the past couple weeks. Absolutely garbage. If we make him out to look like pro-bowlers like we did Bradford and Dalton it only proves that offensive coordinators have Haslett's number and theres nothing he do to change it.

Yeah, i agree... Too early now but if the Bucs get off on us like the previous three games, something radical has to be done. The Bucs are bad man.

You know what? You're right. It should be placed on the guy responsible for Hasbeen's headset.

I'm not trying to be a dick. Just asking an honest question.

I'm not 100% convinced a new D-coordinator would be able to magically make an average D much better with the injuries we have as well as lack of talent in the secondary.

guys, just so you know, the personnel is fine.

Hall is a decent corner. Wilson is actually a very good corner despite him having a horrendous day today. Our safeties are BETTER than they were last year - Gomes and Williams > Rookie Gomes/Doughty/who else did we have back there? The problem is that we play too soft, and when we try to man up, we don't do it right - we should be doubling Green high-low, pressing the rest of the WRs, and daring them to blow the defense's top off considering that we've been pressuring their OL all day, even with no Rak or Carriker. It doesn't help that Haslett cannot dial up a creative blitz to save his life - we haven't had truly creative and innovative blitz packages since Williams in 2004 and after that he got stale.

Fire Haslett, have Morris as interim DC and see if he can make the defense play respectably.

Also, as someone who loves what Shanny has done, he's made some very big personnel mistakes *coughjordanblackoverwilliesmithcough* and it's coming back to bite us. And there is really something wrong in how we seem to suffer multiple major injuries to key players every year.

Our safeties are garbage and our cornerbacks - outside of Wilson - are garbage.

Defensive backs and receivers have never been more important in the NFL than they are today. We have among the worst 5 defensive back groups in the league. We're gonna give up a lot of big plays and a lot of points.

IN ADDITION

Haslett has never been above "medicore" as a playcaller. It showed today - burned once again by the same play call that lost us the Dallas game last year. Can't get off the field on 3rd downs.

But what it comes down to is - if we can't cover anyone, we're not gonna win. We don't have the personnel to do so

Our players suck. It isn't the DC's fault.

Evaluate the players first, the coordinators second. If you want JH gone after this game, you are a part of the problem.

You know what else is the problem, attributing false thoughts to others. Nobody wants him gone because of this game, it's the entire tenure plus his previous joke track record.

Wait till the season is over.

I respectfully disagree Boss. We are scoring 30 points a game on offense, that is more than enough to be a winning team in this league. If we ditch Haslett and Morris improves the defense even a little bit then this season is salvageable. RGIII gives us a chance to win every game, Haslett is currently taking those chances away.

I'm never an advocate for mid season firings...but this may be an exception

For the record, normally I am not either. In this case I make an exception, because we have arguably the worst secondary in the NFL and I don't think Haslett has the answer in how to get better results through game planning. I think we have an offense that could win us games this year. Our talent is what it is in the secondary, but maybe somebody else could get more out of them.

I respectfully disagree Boss. We are scoring 30 points a game on offense, that is more than enough to be a winning team in this league. If we ditch Haslett and Morris improves the defense even a little bit then this season is salvageable. RGIII gives us a chance to win every game, Haslett is currently taking those chances away.

So you think scheme is to blame? As opposed o personel?

Our safeties are garbage and our cornerbacks - outside of Wilson - are garbage.

This is wrong. Gomes is a decent safety. Williams is a replacement level safety. Hall is average. Wilson is very good. We have a bunch of C- to C+ players with one B+ player. That does not and should not translate to having the worst secondary in football.

The one game Haslett did his best impression of a real defensive coach, we made the New Orleans Saints look like a mid-level offense. Granted, the Saints aren't as good without Payton, but they still have Brees and Colston and Sproles and everyone else. Since then? Vanilla blitzes, 10 yard cushions and no adjustments.

We have among the worst 5 defensive back groups in the league. We're gonna give up a lot of big plays and a lot of points.

This is untrue. Dolphins? Bengals? Rams? Panthers? Raiders? Colts? There are a lot worse DB groups out there. We're at worst below average.

IN ADDITION

Haslett has never been above "medicore" as a playcaller. It showed today - burned once again by the same play call that lost us the Dallas game last year. Can't get off the field on 3rd downs.

Haslett is ****. He has no conception of the strengths and weakness of the defense. He has no ability to adjust to the strengths and weaknesses of the offense. Again, double Green high-low with Gomes, play in every other WRs face, and challenge Dalton to complete slow-developing passes downfield when we WERE pressuring Dalton. Disguise our coverages. Run some stunts. Just do something that's at least somewhat innovative. Haslett was a LeBeau disciple supposedly - has he ever called a true zone blitz?

I think it has to do with both, however someone has to be the fall-guy. If canning Haslett lights a fire under this teams butt then it was worth it, however if it achieves nothing and it results in more of the same, what did we really lose?

I'm honestly not sure we'd be in any better shape defensively... How would you expect this same defense to respond with a different DC? About the same IMHO... This secondary will get picked apart every week with this group... too many good QBs & WRs left... I hate to think what Atlanta could put up if Cincinnati scored 38... I'll still be hoping for the best... we need to score first every game to keep momentum in our favor.

I voted no because we're in the middle of the season, have suffered key injuries, and had no money to invest in the safety position once OJ and Landry were gone. Not a Haslett fan by any stretch (still mad that he leaked all our draft strategy to some random blogger this past offseason) and our defense is atrocious, but we have to ride out the season.

Both are to blame.

But unlike with personnel, we have the ability to improve how we game plan and scheme TODAY, as opposed to having to wait until the offseason improve our personnel by signing Brent Grimes to a $50 MM deal.

Yeah, i agree... Too early now but if the Bucs get off on us like the previous three games, something radical has to be done. The Bucs are bad man.

The Bucs aren't bad, they blew a game against the Giants and beat Carolina, then they go to Dallas and lose by 6. They will probably kick our ***** in Tampa.

I think it has to do with both, however someone has to be the fall-guy. If canning Haslett lights a fire under this teams butt then it was worth it, however if it achieves nothing and it results in more of the same, what did we really lose?

this is really the heart of my argument and the point of the whole thread.

Nope. Doesn't help to fire a coach when the GM (past and present) and FO is the real reason we are where we are today. We have a qb that's dynamic and we're putting up points but it's obviously not going to get us anywhere in terms of wins. And, believe me, it won't moving forward either....at least this year and probably next.

Our woes are due to poor scouting, failed FA acquisitions, and mishandled salary cap transactions and draft picks. I love Griffin, but in terms of cost we overpaid. We just have too many holes and we can't possibly fill those holes this year or next without giving up our best players in a trade. We're not doing that. That would be foolish. We're looking at a three year plan again. Guess Shanahan's initial three year plan has turned into a six year plan. Woops :ols:

On a side note:

I'm willing to wait for wins/team results b/c Griffin III is that special, but I'll be damned if I'm going to watch him get killed every week. He just won't last. BTW, I typed this prior to B-Mitch's comment on Postgame ;) )Shanahan needs to pump the breaks on the option **** and keep RGIII in the pocket as much as possible...even if they have to max protect 50% of the time.

Protect the investment and think about firing coaches and/or firing FO staff in the offseason. It won't do any good to fire staff now or anytime during the season for that matter. I'd like to fire Bruce Allen and Shanahan. Sure, consistency is important but it won't matter with RGIII. He can do it all no matter who the coach is. Plus, the roster blows on the whole so who really cares about continuity when you have a ****ty roster? Not I said the cow :pfft:

If you look at the results of this current FO/staff and include the projected results of this year based on the ST and Defensive performances respectively, they're not even close to getting it done. No knee jerk reaction here, but this shiny new quarterback can't fix any of the underlying issues we have had for as long as I can remember under Snyder. We still mishandle money/contracts, make poor FA acquisitions, and give up too much in the draft. Same approach (with a twist I'll grant you) with the same results. We look like the Denver Broncos post-Elway :ols: Old habits die hard :(

Archived