Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Are we at a point where firing Haslett NOW should be seriously considered?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We need better players. Not another DC.

I don't know how they're gonna do it, but they've got to find a way to get a corner and some safeties in here. Maybe Merriweather can return to form, which is questionable, but whoever the top couple FA secondary people in the offseason need to be a priority. They can't let guys get away or make half hearted attempts like with Brandon Carr, or they may have to overpay for somebody. Either way, this group can't come back for the 3rd year in a row.

I"m going to put the blame more on the players than the coaches. I'ts not that I'm a big fan of Haslett because I think that he has to take some responsibilty for this mess, but our secondary wasn't ranked real high coming into the season to begin with, and after 3 games we just don't have the talent back there. They play to far off the receivers, take bad angles, you name it. Now I understand that everybody is in the fire Haslett mode, but guess who is overseeing our secondary??? Raheem Morris. Morris should take as much blame as haslett for allowing this mess to happen, is he really the guy to lead this defense if haslett gets the axe? I'm not sold on him. Thoughts??

I'll stick up for Wilson and say he was a 3rd corner in Balt for half the season and started the other half and did a good job on Andre Johnson in one of those games. And then he started in Seattle, so it's not like he's a scrub. He's not going to the Pro Bowl or anything, but he's a competent corner.

The rest of 'em are terrible.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 06:21 PM ----------

And unless you're not counting the nickel corner who plays a lot nowadays.

And last year that was Kevin Barnes who was not very good. This year it seems to switch between DHall and Griffin whom I would consider both to be on par or better than Barnes.

Shanny's idea.

4-3 is what Fletch has run his whole life. Didn't make sense to switch. Was a head scratcher then, and still is now.

Would've been fine if they brought in a guy like LeBeau, Phillips, or Crennel to coach but you don't switch schemes to have it run by a guy who was always 15th-30th in overall defense.

Shanny's idea.

4-3 is what Fletch has run his whole life. Didn't make sense to switch. Was a head scratcher then, and still is now.

We had nothing in the bank to stick with the 4-3 . Our defensive line was old . Rak was a one trick pony with a hand in the dirt, and lets remember when he was drafted he was drafted and listed as our SLB in the 4-3 . He has developed in the last couple of years into a great all round OLB and if he can remain healthy could be in the mold of the great LBs in Pittsburgh .

The parts we have right now fit the 3-4 switching back could be done but would not help things like the secondary which does not change dramatically between the different base configurations .

The configuration also doesn't help the play calling and Hasslett is being overly agressive . We may be calling out the secondary as pathetic but they are getting no help with the play selections . Last week we had no one really hampering Danny Amendola until the damage had been done in the second half - but then we over protected on him and left gaping holes for everyone else . It is like the DC gets up sunday morning with no clue who we are playing ..

The FO is not helping matters - there have been rumors about Hasslett being done for months now . He has been given the kiss of death one year extension but instead of growing some balls the FO would rather undermine him by bringing in more defensive selections from the the head coaches and GMs past (Solwick and Morris) - Either fire him or make absolutely clear who is in control .

Hasslet has to be given a clear run at the defense and these rumors that Morris was making the calls last week should be squashed or the team should come out and tell the team that Hasslett has been stripped of play calling duties and be done with it ..

Join the club my man.

It would have helped to have hired someone capable of executing the 3-4... Reggie Herring down in Houston seems to be killing it with their LBs corps. He coached the Cowboys linebackers from 08-10'. I'd hire him to coordinate our D. Here's a video of him describing the 3-4:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Xs-and-Os-Herring-on-3-4-switches/8289ecb4-147b-40a6-8140-c65b96df65d5

I'm still trying to figure out why we are running the 3-4.

our front seven in optimum conditions are the following: Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, Orakpo, Fletcher, Riley, Kerrigan.

Line those guys up in a 4-3 then either Orakpo or Kerrigan is not in position to use his pass rush abilities and spends to much time trying to pass defend because only one is a DE and the other would be playing LB. Now you could put them both at end, but that leaves you short an LB and with an extra DL

After the Rams game I was yelling Hail Yeah!!!! But after watching today's game I can't blame Haz. Last week everyone was trying to figure out why we were in such soft zones. This week we killed the zones and went man. I don't know which was worse. Giving Bradford a 7-on-7 drill or a rising offensive duo Target practice called D. Hall. Right now its like pick your poison. We're not getting enough pressure to play zone and the blitz isn't getting there w/ little to zero man coverage. I just don't know. I'm baffled.

Shanny's idea.

I did agree before with this take, still kind of do but I have no idea why other teams can make the transition (including the Niners) and yet we stink when we do. I really think we should have thrown the house at Wade Phillips, who was always a good coordinator.

Bottom line, if you had shown us RG3's numbers through the first three games back in August, there isn't a single one of us who would not have expected this team to be 3-0 right now.

Not one.

We all knew the secondary was problematic, but nobody expected them to be this bad. They are even worse than they should be, and that to me screams coaching and game planning.

Archived