Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mega Millions Lotto Jackpot: $640 MILLION (Drawing on 3/30/12) (2, 4, 23, 38, 46, MB:23)

Ellis

I've probably spent an hour today researching previous drawings and formulating the perfect combination of numbers. Tonight I am going to the local liquor store and getting 5 tickets. Guaranteed winner in there.

:fortune:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mega-millions--by-the-lucky-numbers-.html

Also interesting are the historically lucky and unlucky numbers. Bespoke Investment Group identified the Mega Millions numbers that have come up the most and least often in the 705 drawings leading up to last night. To win the jackpot, you've got to correctly guess all five regular numbers, which are drawn out of a set of balls numbered 1 through 56, and the Mega Ball, drawn from a set of balls numbered 1 through 46.

Historical trends and past performance are not reliable indicators of the future – that’s something investors and gamblers know very well. Nonetheless, we love to glean what we can from any and all data available so that even bad decisions – if that’s what they turn out to be -- feel informed.

According to Bespoke’s analysis, there are 8 numbers that have come up as ball 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 in 10% or more of the drawings -- #48, 36, 53, 12, 27, 31, 51 and 52. The numbers that came up least often were 41, 49, 47, 37, and 34.

Mega Ball

The numbers that came up most often for the Mega Ball: 36, 9, 7, 35, and 2, with the #36 popping up 3.55% of the time. And the least: 28, 32, 46, 14 and 1, with #28 making the sparsest showing of just six drawings of the 705.

I don't see why anyone with any disposable income wouldn't throw $5 on this... I will play usually any time it gets over $200,000,000 but until then it seems like a waste of odds...

My dad has a good quote "$1,000,000 is just enough to piss me off"

Basically saying that if he wins a jackpot, he never wants to work again... For him, $1,000,000 isn't enough to retire on and he'd still be an employed millionaire...

I played last night, and I'd be lying if I wasn't looking at single family homes near downtown DC, one on Garret Morgan BVLD near FedEx and one in Pittsburgh so I can watch my Bucco's...

I think the average DC person doesn't understand how people play lotto "out in the sticks". I used to see the same guy drop $5 a day on various tickets, another one would do $12-15/day, it's ridiculous, another would spend his entire social securiity check on it (albeit small). And it's pretty widespread. That's where the saying tax on those who can't do math applies. But yeah, if you have disposable income why not? Will you really derive that much more from a latte? To spend $1,000 on tickets, stupid. To spend $1?

Hey when there's lightning out, I head indoors. I don't care what the odds are.

Also, in regards to the cash vs 20 year option. I always thought it made sense to take the cash up front, especially since you can earn a lot if interest on it over the next 19 years. Interest that you are forfeiting if you take it over a 20 year option. That said, is the cash payout less than the 20 year payout?

I am pretty sure they use a present cash value formula to determine the cash payout. Odds are most people will not save enough of the money to equal the total payout if taken over the yearly payout option. So, by taking the cash payout, you in essence would have less total in the long run.

Congrats. Don't spend it all in one place.

I do hope the one (or so) that wins will be smart about it.

---------- Post added March-28th-2012 at 01:05 PM ----------

This investment has been explored in gambling circles before and found to be too risky. The prospect of a split and subsequent taxes could result in substantial losses. But it certainly will guarantee a winner.

So if you have 175M it is a win.

Perhaps one of these billionaires will spend the 175 to make an investment.

Whoever wins this thing is going to be one lucky SOB.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to play. Nobody from D.C. ever wins these super jackpots :ols:

For awhile anyway. As has been touched on earlier in this thread, many of the winners wind up in financial ruins because they have no idea what they're doing. I'd like to believe I'd behave prudently if I was put into this situation as my parents did teach me a lot about financial management, saving 10%, etc., etc. About the only thing I can imagine doing right off the bat is paying off my current mortgage, then moving into someplace nicer. That's about it though, I can't imagine buying a private jet or some of the other ridiculous things I read about.

Archived