Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mega Millions Lotto Jackpot: $640 MILLION (Drawing on 3/30/12) (2, 4, 23, 38, 46, MB:23)

Ellis

With that much money, someone who knows what they're doing can generate 7-10% return on very safe investments. That's the bare minimum of what a financial adviser's role would be.

The problem is the "permanent vacation" scenario is just not realistic, imo. Could you do that for 10 years without getting bored? How about 50 years? Could you do it without turning your kids into entitled jerks?

I would travel a lot and enjoy myself immensely, but I'd also want to give a lot to charity, get on a couple boards, and invest in my community. I'd have a very healthy amount somewhere safe, but I would also have some play money to invest in promising start-ups. There are a lot of companies out there with great ideas that can do a lot to benefit whatever causes interest you most. If you're just stashing the money and living off the interest to be on vacation forever, you're not doing much good for society.

I'm not sure how many "truly safe" investments there are out there that get that sort of return, guaranteed. But even the lowest return government securities, 1-2%, would generate enough interest for someone to live on comfortably. I think like you, the idea of investing in start-ups is interesting; I've always been intrigued by the venture capitalism idea, but I don't have near enough money to get involved.

After maxing out college funds, etc, it might be fun to be a traveling benefactor...you know, drive by a church that has one of those thermometer signs out front partially filled because they're raising money for a new roof....*BAM*...there's your roof, that sort of thing. With that much money, giving some of it to others would hopefully come naturally to the winner, unless you want to recreate Scrooge McDuck's vault.

How/why would you simply store your money in the banks when traditionally the FDIC only insures up to $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank.

But I'm sure there's banks that will insure more than the standard $250,000. Like Stophovr6 said, there's banks in Switzerland that will hold all of your money.

Yep...I think I'd keep myself busy buying a minor league sports team or something. Maybe a local one. It would be cool to have that type of experience without it coming with the pressure of owning a team you've been a fan of your entire life or something.

You can run a team, make it a charitable one, etc. so that you're doing something regularly, involved in the community, and doing things you enjoy.

I'd definitely have to do something charity wise and own something or have some sort of 'job' that would keep me occupied.

But I'd spend a lot of time in Hawaii :)

I'm not sure how many "truly safe" investments there are out there that get that sort of return, guaranteed. But even the lowest return government securities, 1-2%, would generate enough interest for someone to live on comfortably. I think like you, the idea of investing in start-ups is interesting; I've always been intrigued by the venture capitalism idea, but I don't have near enough money to get involved.

After maxing out college funds, etc, it might be fun to be a traveling benefactor...you know, drive by a church that has one of those thermometer signs out front partially filled because they're raising money for a new roof....*BAM*...there's your roof, that sort of thing. With that much money, giving some of it to others would hopefully come naturally to the winner, unless you want to recreate Scrooge McDuck's vault.

One thing I've always wanted to do if I become rich was drive around and randomly fix people's houses, when they are not home. I always thought it would be fun to show up to someones house, break in and remodel their kitchen while they are on vacation, or replace a fence or something. I'm sure some people would be pissed, but I'd love to see the news headlines "Man gets arrested for breaking into house and installing 4 big screen TVs"

I like that thought, would be great to just randomly and unexpectedly help people in need..... but not necessarily the people who seek me out.

I am going to buy a sports franchise with the money i win. Whats available?

No idea, but I'd buy the Eagles or Cowboys (or other teams I hate) and just destroy their franchises since Dan will never sell our Skins.

I'm gonna buy a 68 Camaro, a bigger truck, another horse, pay my parents back for college, then put the rest of it in the bank and not tell anyone except my immediate family and close friends (so, sorry I won't be lettin y'all know I've won). Oh and I'll buy season tickets for the Skins and Caps and Nats. Super excited to win this =)

I would travel everywhere if I won.... I've been limited in my ability to travel, although I've seen a great majority of the eastern side of North America.

My wife has been just about everywhere in Europe and parts of Africa.

We talk about travelling all the time and this would be perfect!

No idea, but I'd buy the Eagles or Cowboys (or other teams I hate) and just destroy their franchises since Dan will never sell our Skins.

I'm gonna buy a 68 Camaro, a bigger truck, another horse, pay my parents back for college, then put the rest of it in the bank and not tell anyone except my immediate family and close friends (so, sorry I won't be lettin y'all know I've won). Oh and I'll buy season tickets for the Skins and Caps and Nats. Super excited to win this =)

Are you really a chick? If so, you've got to be the coolest chick i've ever heard of...

I like that thought, would be great to just randomly and unexpectedly help people in need..... but not necessarily the people who seek me out.

Precisely...being very helpful on my own terms. If I were to hit this, the first people that are going to get shut out are the cousins I haven't talked to in a decade, or the friends who I haven't seen since high school, who suddenly reappear. I'd rather go around being a random lucky charm for some folks, no media presence.

This is not to say I'm completely altruistic, I'd definitely buy a nicer house than the TH I currently live in. I'd spend some of it on myself, I'm just never going to be that crazy ******* who needs a private jet or gloves made out of diamonds or **** like that.

Everyone wants to remain anonymous if they win but they plaster your face everywhere and you have to give a press conference. They publish your name and what town you live in.

with that amount of money, you best believe I'd be out of town in a heartbeat and my name would be Rico Suave!

Everyone wants to remain anonymous if they win but they plaster your face everywhere and you have to give a press conference. They publish your name and what town you live in.

I think you can set up a trust or some sort of shell corporation to receive the money, even if you happen to be the only benefactor. That might be a way around it. Of course, a way to get around that might be to just move to an area where you wouldn't stand out, like upper Manhattan. Or more locally to the D.C. area, Great Falls or Bethesda. Then you'd still be poor compared to some of your neighbors.

I am not expert on this, but from my understand there are ways legally to set it up so you can collect the money in an anonymous way.

Awesome.

From randomly seeing one of my drunkass friends hit on her from across the bar in Blacksburg (while she had an eye patch, for a reason that I forget) I can verify that she is in fact female.

Double Awesome.

Skinsgirl26, will you marry me? I'll be rich after Friday.

How about this' date=' after I win I'll just shoot you with a huge wad of 100s from a t-shirt cannon?[/quote']

Had a buddy sell back his text books, turn it all into ones then he came into my apartment and made it rain all over me while I was studying for finals.

Laughed and said, "Always wanted to do that"

For everyone playing (assuming you don't hit the big one) we can all post our stories of lament in here on Friday night/Saturday morning. We'll see if anyone can top me from the last time I played, which is usually anytime the jackpot gets over $250 million or so. I just did a $5 computer quick picks, and managed to miss every number on all five lines, including all five mega balls, or whatever the last one is called. Now I know there is some overlap, but basically, they're drawing five numbers out of a pool of 56, so you figure I've got a least 20-21 different numbers over my five rows, and I missed every single one of them. That's pretty awful.

Archived