Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Saw "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets". It was okay. Visuals were great. A little different. Once they told you, what the story was about; it was a familiar theme. They spent over $180 million to make it. It should be the latest SCI-FI mega flop. I don't see mass appeal for this movie. I've seen previews for this for the last year; so decided to watch it.   I'll give it a C-.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 3

I saw War for the Planet of the Apes, and being a huge fan of the first two, I was really disappointed in this film. I give it a 5.5 out of 10.

The CG was top notch, but the plot had some serious holes.  

Spoiler

I did not like how the apes were victimized in this film. It made no sense that so many physically superior apes could be held prisoner by a handful of humans. There were clear opportunities to revolt earlier, so why didn't that happen? And, how could they even capture that many apes in the first place?

I didn't understand how the zoo ape could speak. Apes can't spontaneously learn to speak. It made sense that Caesar could speak because he was exposed to the chemical in the first film. Was the zoo ape exposed to this same chemical? That was never made clear.

If the little girl was infected with the virus that makes humans dumber and unable to speak, how is it that she was able to pick up sign language? That was just dumb.

The demise of Caesar and his family was downright depressing. What an ending...

Big drop off from the first two.

10 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

I saw War for the Planet of the Apes, and being a huge fan of the first two, I was really disappointed in this film. I give it a 5.5 out of 10.

Reveal hidden contents

I did not like how the apes were victimized in this film. It made no sense that so many physically superior apes could be held prisoner by a handful of humans. There were clear opportunities to revolt earlier, so why didn't that happen? And, how could they even capture that many apes in the first place?

I didn't understand how the zoo ape could speak. Apes can't spontaneously learn to speak. It made sense that Caesar could speak because he was exposed to the chemical in the first film. Was the zoo ape exposed to this same chemical? That was never made clear.

If the little girl was infected with the virus that makes humans dumber and unable to speak, how is it that she was able to pick up sign language? That was just dumb.

Spoiler

There were a ton of soldiers. It showed this when Caesar and group were following them they had heavy firepower, humvees etc. also, i assumed the Apes were caught off guard since they had the women and children with them which they didn't during their fight against the soldiers in the opening scene. 

I don't know...they were starved and beaten and weak from the work. Not to mention seemed fairly lost and rudderless without their leader as evidence by how quickly their resolve changed when he arrived. Still, they probably could have done more. I think having the children separated helped keep the adults in line. 

I thought the simian flu was the plague caused by Caesar releasing the toxin. Therefore all Apes that come in contact with it are essentially exposed to the toxin like Caesar while humans died or eventually devolved. That's why Caesar was so shocked to see an intelligent ape on their level aside from the fact that he could speak. He thought only those exposed were like them not realizing the flu caused any other Apes to be similar. Thats how I understood it even prior to this film. Thought this was implied in Dawn but I'll have to check again.

i don't know about the sign language. I thought they just delolved to being unable to speak. All the the cases we witnessed hadthe humans showing understanding of their surroundings and situations just without the ability to speak. They still showed fear, anger, loveetc. I don't think they were as primitive as Woody suggested. Could be bias against Apes projecting that savageness and primitiveness onto the affected humans. 

I loved the struggle Caesar had with his hatred of the humans and his visions of Koba. It was a very good ending for his story. Once he had lost himself it was an appropriate time to die. Beautiful and tragic

• Like 2

hqdefault.jpg

Turbo Kid is fun. It's like a bunch of kids got together with no budget, decided to do a post apocalyptic movie in the style of Mad Max, but instead of cars, everyone rides bikes. It's nostalgic, cheesy, and has a killer '80s style synth soundtrack. Also, there is gore, lots and lots of gore. Grindhouse like. I give this a B overall, but it is a blast to watch.

Also, this is streaming on Netflix

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2017 at 5:45 PM, StillUnknown said:

Dunkirk was amazing, see it in IMAX if you can

might be Nolan's best film yet, he still hasn't missed

On my list. My Grandfather was captured at Dunkirk (a bit to the East). His battalion, 1st BN Cameron Highlanders, was one of the rear guard/defending units (This was also the last time Kilts were worn into battle).  The Battalion successfully held back the Germans at La Basse for two days but was destroyed by 27 May (Only 79 made it back to the UK).

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hide contents

There were a ton of soldiers. It showed this when Caesar and group were following them they had heavy firepower, humvees etc. also, i assumed the Apes were caught off guard since they had the women and children with them which they didn't during their fight against the soldiers in the opening scene. 

I don't know...they were starved and beaten and weak from the work. Not to mention seemed fairly lost and rudderless without their leader as evidence by how quickly their resolve changed when he arrived. Still, they probably could have done more. I think having the children separated helped keep the adults in line. 

I thought the simian flu was the plague caused by Caesar releasing the toxin. Therefore all Apes that come in contact with it are essentially exposed to the toxin like Caesar while humans died or eventually devolved. That's why Caesar was so shocked to see an intelligent ape on their level aside from the fact that he could speak. He thought only those exposed were like them not realizing the flu caused any other Apes to be similar. Thats how I understood it even prior to this film. Thought this was implied in Dawn but I'll have to check again.

i don't know about the sign language. I thought they just delolved to being unable to speak. All the the cases we witnessed hadthe humans showing understanding of their surroundings and situations just without the ability to speak. They still showed fear, anger, loveetc. I don't think they were as primitive as Woody suggested. Could be bias against Apes projecting that savageness and primitiveness onto the affected humans. 

I loved the struggle Caesar had with his hatred of the humans and his visions of Koba. It was a very good ending for his story. Once he had lost himself it was an appropriate time to die. Beautiful and tragic

Spoiler

I still think the whole enslave the apes to build a wall thing was a bit out there.  What is a wall slapped together by apes going to do against the other faction, which had air support and artillery?

If you devolved to a point that you are no longer able to speak, then how are you able to speak with your hands?  I see some inconsistency in that.

I just didn't enjoy it.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:05 PM, Ron78 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

My take on the flu was Woody's character thought it made humans primitive because they could no longer speak.  The reality is all they lost was their voice.  Nova showed she was still intelligent and was able to pick up sign language.  Woody realized this later when he caught the flu and was over come with guilt and depression for killing his son in cold blood for no reason.  that's why he was drinking heavily and his son's photo was on the table.  Caesar saw this and showed mercy.  

Edited by drowland

4 hours ago, drowland said:
  Hide contents

My take on the flu was Woody's character thought it made humans primitive because they could no longer speak.  The reality is all they lost was their voice.  Nova showed she was still intelligent and was able to pick up sign language.  Woody realized this later when he caught the flu and was over come with guilt and depression for killing his son in cold blood for no reason.  that's why he was drinking heavily and his son's photo was on the table.  Caesar saw this and showed mercy.  

Spoiler

I didn't interpret it that way.  If the flu was more than just a loss of speech, but a progressing brain damage as well (as Woody's character initially said), this would explain the humans we saw in the original Planet of the Apes film.

8 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Finally saw Split...I think I really liked it, but I need to digest it a little more. It was definitely entertaining...

Easily in Shamalan's top 3. 

Are you intrigued for a "3rd" movie pitting the Unbreakable Bruce Willis and the Beastly James McAvoy?

Edited by PokerPacker

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Spiderman Homecoming.  My favorite out of all the Spiderman movies.

Saw the first hour of it. 

Some cheese, some fun, some drama, some intriguing parts. 

Looking forward to the rest. 

I am not going to say favorite just yet. 

For me, the first Tobey Maguire Spiderman movie is still the best. Really captured the feel of the early comic books. It had the irreverence, fun, and even gravitas. Spidey Homecoming was fun, but there were some pretty big plot holes which wound up only getting resolved via the hugest of dumb coincidences. It was fun, but not the best Spidey. At least, not for me.

I also saw War for the Planet of the Apes. Very well done.

• Like 1

Dunkirk.  Christopher Nolan throws his creative hat into the WWII ring and finds his mark.  This is a master blend of directing, cinematography, and editing.  Most action flicks are edited to death and slathered with heavy music cues, most often trying to compensate for lack of emotion or urgency.  I did think the Hans Zimmer score was heavy in spots, but his music is so badass I didn't really care.  

The aerial "dogfights" are the real star here.  Stunning wide shots that are allowed to play out.  It feels real.

Only a couple of drawbacks for me.  I didn't really know anything about Dunkirk when I went in, and I'm not sure I learned anything from the movie.  It could've explained itself a bit better.  Also, from the trailer I thought it was gonna be an all out Nazi onslaught where nobody would survive.  The movie, while threatening, felt much less dire than I expected.  

I do suggest checking it out on 70mm if you have the means.  It looks ****ing awesome. 3.5/4.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

I saw "Atomic Blonde" yesterday. It was okay, will give it a B-. Charlize was atomic. :) The movie did drag for a little. Had a couple of nice twists. I almost walked out to early, I thought the movie was about to end; so I got up and stood in the isle way. There's was another 5 minutes, so I sat back down. Loved the 80's soundtrack.

Edited by Rdskns2000

The Hunger, 1983. Starring Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie, and Susan Sarandon. Somehow I had never heard of this arthouse film. It's basically about an ancient egyptian vampire alive in modern day as she looks for a new companion/lover. Bowie (and the make-up artists) were outstanding...he truly became someone else in this film.

The movie has it's faults but it flirts with some fascinating ideas and twists on common vampire lore. A sequel would have done a lot to help flesh it out.

But what upsets me the most is that I have been writing my own fiction about ancient Egyptian vampires and thought it was a fresh, original idea. Nope! My work was for naught as I was beat by 30 years!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

The Hunger, 1983. Starring Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie, and Susan Sarandon. Somehow I had never heard of this arthouse film. It's basically about an ancient egyptian vampire alive in modern day as she looks for a new companion/lover. Bowie (and the make-up artists) were outstanding...he truly became someone else in this film.

The movie has it's faults but it flirts with some fascinating ideas and twists on common vampire lore. A sequel would have done a lot to help flesh it out.

But what upsets me the most is that I have been writing my own fiction about ancient Egyptian vampires and thought it was a fresh, original idea. Nope! My work was for naught as I was beat by 30 years!

An all time fave!  Killer soundtrack and Deneuve/Sarandon are ridiculously sexy.

The book is great too,

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1