Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Open Grave.  I'm a Sharlto Copley fan and while this film does not give us one of his wonderfully weird characters it's a rock solid horror movie IMO. 

It Comes At Night (or maybe it doesn't).  All build up, no pay off.  The discussion about this movie centered largely on a pervasive sense of dread and ambiguous ending... I found neither to be the case. 

Annabelle Creation.  This is a paint by the numbers horror movie, but the creepy doll succeeded at creeping me out and there are a few scenes in it that are memorably creepy and stay with you.  That and no major mistakes is enough to make me like a horror movie.  Plus I like the whole conjuring universe for the most part and this one fit right in.  Watch it, if you generally enjoy horror movies and aren't a movie snob demanding every damn thing be original because there is none of that here.

The Witch (VVitch?) I know that this movie is either hate it or love it, and I fall in the latter category.  Excellently made horror movie which unlike a previous entry does deliver on a steady unrelenting sense of dread.  I'm not sure I've seen witches depicted so well in a horror movie before.  I'll probably remember some instances later but right now, I'm drawing a blank.  Big fan of this movie. 

Spider Man? Home Coming.  This movie feels more like it's making fun of Spider Man than anything else.  I thought the Marvel Universe would finally give me the spider-man I remembered and... they didn't.  Flash Thompson is a sort of mean nerd.  MJ's character doesn't matter and no one in this movie is more than vaguely aware she exists.  Peter Parker is an idiot.  Aunt May is hot.  If you cut the parts where he's in the suit out, you may not even realize this is Spider-Man. 

Kingsman Golden Circle.  Lower your expectations before seeing this movie.  It's a pale shadow of the original in every way.  That said, it's still fun.  Especially the absurd way in which American men are caricatured as outlandish cowboys.  I wish they'd have given Jeff Bridges more screen time because I'm still not sure just what his deal was.  I think I saw him rub whiskey on his mustache in one scene.  Watch it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Kingsman Golden Circle.  Lower your expectations before seeing this movie.  It's a pale shadow of the original in every way.  That said, it's still fun.  Especially the absurd way in which American men are caricatured as outlandish cowboys.  I wish they'd have given Jeff Bridges more screen time because I'm still not sure just what his deal was.  I think I saw him rub whiskey on his mustache in one scene.  Watch it. 

Was having a great day until this. You monster. 

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Was having a great day until this. You monster. 

What did you disagree with?

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Kingsman was very fun. I think it's a slight step down from the first but it's not bad at all.

Can we all agree Sam Jackson and Sofia Boutella were much better villains than Julianne Moore and Edward Holcroft? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

What did you disagree with?

Can we all agree Sam Jackson and Sofia Boutella were much better villains than Julianne Moore and Edward Holcroft? 

Not disagreement. Upset at the info that the new Kingsman isn't amazing. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This movie.  Holy **** this movie.  Disorienting, immersive, and pure evil.  There's a reason it's 99% on RT.  I've never seen anything quite like it.  Highly recommended!

Awesome flick. :headbang:

South Korea's horrors and thrillers > Hollywood's

• Like 1

The first Blade Runner.  I hadnt seen it really in 20-25 years.  I recalled I thought it was ok, but I didnt love it.  I feel like the legend of this movie has grown over time where it's a sci-fi classic now.  So I thought I'd take another stab at it in anticipation of the new one, which is supposed to be an instant classic.  After re-watching the original (the Final Cut), my assessment is....it's ok, I didnt love it.  Still intrigued by 2049 though.

American Assassin: It was a fine diversion, but basically forgettable.  Always happy to see Michael Keaton in decent material though.  Dylan O'Brien did fine as the lead.  The villain was rather poorly fleshed out. 

So, so good.  Best movie ever made?  Nah.  Best performance of Harrison's life, though. 

That said, the early reviewsof 2049 have it at 98% on Rotten.  Critics are saying it is the best movie of 2017.  

Hold onto your butts, my fellow movie fans.  2049 is gonna change our lives.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Villeneuve is taking, in my opinion, his claim to the throne with this one.  He's been earning it for a while but this will put him right beside Nolan as the most gifted director working in Hollywood.  I'll also go see everything Aronofsky churns out, no matter what it is.  He takes bigger story risks than anyone.

I had forgotten about The Wailing.  That was an awesome flick.  Craziness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youngchew said:

So, so good.  Best movie ever made?  Nah.  Best performance of Harrison's life, though. 

That said, the early reviewsof 2049 have it at 98% on Rotten.  Critics are saying it is the best movie of 2017.  

I never assume movies will be great, I go in expecting disappointing trash.  It's served well over the years.  

Unless it's a Korean thriller.  In which case I just hope I don't lose too much of my soul.  :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

I

Unless it's a Korean thriller.  In which case I just hope I don't lose too much of my soul.  :)

My man!  Oldboy is when I was first introduced to Korean thrillers back in like 2007.  That ending.  Did he remember?!

Been hooked on Koren revenge thrillers ever since.  Must've watched at least 150 Korean movies over the last 10 years.  A lot of thrillers but Seoul does dramas and rom-com really well, too.

There's an active Korean movies subforum, if you're interested.  https://forums.soompi.com/en/forum/13-k-dramas-movies/