Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Josh Norman slams Redskins fans after road win: 'They boo everything'

NewCliche21

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

You're seriously blaming the Post for Josh Norman's quote? What are they supposed to do, not report something like this to "help the team"? LMAO. If they hadn't reported it, every other sports news service in the country would've. And will. 

It has nothing to do with what they can or should report.

It is the timing of these type of articles from the (Com)Post that usually smells.

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think I'm on Norman's side here. So far, every time this season I enter ES after a victory it feels like a loss. There's nothing but ****ing and complaining. There's almost not a shred of happiness. It's all handwringing and focus on the bad. The negativism and determination to "keep it real" is insane. There's a segment of the fan base determined to be miserable and poke holes in every half full glass.

If I didn't watch the games and know the standings, I'd swear we were a one win team this year based on the tenor and nonstop misery.

Sure, fans have had a tough history with this team. My faith that the Redskins will continue succeeding is about as fragile as crepe paper during a tsunami, but we're 6-3, finally have a defense that is not losing every lead, and an offense that is letting the other team make the fatal mistake! I don't know that we should feel good about this team. I don't know that we should be leading parades, but I do think we should be high fiving and sharing a beer instead of crying into them.

Right now, the fanbase sucks. It's the teams fault, but our fanbase deserves a round of boos.

DC sports fans are a very cynical and negative bunch. Team 6-3 and people complaining lol. I'm just happy they won. Who cares about anything else? Did anyone get hurt? No. Did we win? Yes. Then what's the complainin' about? 

I’m a bit stuck in between on this.

Norman has been here on a team that’s been pretty much decent his entire tenure. He hasn’t been through the trauma the fans have endured for going on two decades. 

So I could understand his frustration with that and why it’d come off as ridiculous to him. The contrast for him from his time with the Panthers is likely striking. 

That being said, he should study the history a bit more and understand where that angst comes from before spouting off about it. The fans have every right to be traumatized at this point. And while there are signs it’s gotten better, there are still black stains emanating out of the highest levels of the Skins FO that rekindle those traumas whenever they’re getting close to being buried. 

So, he’s right in that it stinks it’s like that but he should recognize that it’s justifiable and not something to complain about. I won’t go so far as to say to him “shut up and fix it”, because it’s not something fixable by any one player. The solution can only come from the top and their decision-making. 

Just one more environmental obstacle coaches/players who come here have to overcome in a long list of them, albeit a smaller one. It’s unfortunate. 

24 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Rally the troops?  How the hell does that rally the troops when he says he'd rather play on the road than at home?

Come on, man.

Given what is visible on TV - i can see his point - we are 6-3 - two games up in the division and our FANS are ripping our players for pointing out the obvious - I mean it has been commented on a few times in the local, national and international media (the BBC no less) on how noticable the booing is for the home team at Redskins games - and it is not all from the opposing teams - i mean comming on here afer a win is painful enough - having to live it like its your job - sheesh 

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

But "stadium location suxxxx" "too much to park" "food too expensive" :rofl89:

Yall gotta go out there to support your team man. If there too many opposing fans there buy the tickets and drown em out 

I do kind of agree with you ix...…..people tend to make all sorts of lame excuses for not attending, and it was pretty jarring seeing only 57K at the home opener on a beautiful day coming off a win in the first game at AZ.

But on the other hand, there aren't that many choice seats in the stadium. The lower bowl is largely full, no issues there, although I personally wouldn't sit there unless it was in the 200s. Tough for me to blame someone to not want to spend $90 for an upper deck seat when the viewing experience is superior at home. But f one can get a club seat in the low-to-mid $100s, that isn't a bad experience. But still talking about a significant amount of cash, and folks, even in this high income area, have their priorities, so...………………….

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

I’m a bit stuck in between on this.

Norman has been here on a team that’s been pretty much decent his entire tenure. He hasn’t been through the trauma the fans have endured for going on two decades. 

So I could understand his frustration with that and why it’d come off as ridiculous to him. The contrast for him from his time with the Panthers is likely striking. 

That being said, he should study the history a bit more and understand where that angst comes from before spouting off about it. The fans have every right to be traumatized at this point. And while there are signs it’s gotten better, there are still black stains emanating out of the highest levels of the Skins FO that rekindle those traumas whenever they’re getting close to being buried. 

So, he’s right in that it stinks it’s like that but he should recognize that it’s justifiable and not something to complain about. I won’t go so far as to say to him “shut up and fix it”, because it’s not something fixable by any one player. The solution can only come from the top and their decision-making. 

Just one more environmental obstacle coaches/players who come here have to overcome in a long list of them, albeit a smaller one. It’s unfortunate. 

So the fans have ever right to be entilted whiney babies - so what is acceptable - 6-3 clearly isn't - do we at a minimum expect the 91 Redskins every game, regadless of injuries ? History is history - what is important is you go to games to enjoy the game - its difficult to do with some entilted drunken (mostly) asshole booing everything from the opening whistle while rocking his Sean Taylor 21 Redskins shirt ... 

SHOULD he have said it?  I guess if we're talking about player etiquette and what's 'right'... no, he probably shouldn't have said it... but he's not wrong. 

EVERY week I hear cheering for the away team.  The chants of LLLUUUKKKKEEEE when we were playing Carolina is the one that stands out to me the most from this season. 

I would imagine that his opinions are shared by a lot of the team.  They feed off energy and that stadium seems very flat, it always has.  It has it's moments where it gets loud, but it very rarely has any effect on the opposing team.  75,000 fans screaming can have an impact, regardless of how bad the design of the stadium is, but when the buzz is dull and quiet.... that effect is negated. 

29 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

It's damn personal.  I live and breathe this team.  It'd be different if he were asking fans to step it up.  He's not, he's just saying that he hates playing in front of the fans.  There's nothing but personal there.

That's where I differ -- I just don't take it personally.  Players come and go, I'm secure in my fandom -- I certainly don't "live and breathe" this team.  I've been there done that -- more to life.  Just be happy this team in is first place after 9 games played.  Didn't foresee that.

Well, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.....

He ain't wrong. You can see, as clear as day, home game crowds basically look like they're half away team fans. Hearing boos at your own stadium can't feel good. 

The again, probably not the smartest conversation to have knowing it will be put in print 

2 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

So the fans have ever right to be entilted whiney babies - so what is acceptable - 6-3 clearly isn't - do we at a minimum expect the 91 Redskins every game, regadless of injuries ? History is history - what is important is you go to games to enjoy the game - its difficult to do with some entilted drunken (mostly) asshole booing everything from the opening whistle while rocking his Sean Taylor 21 Redskins shirt ... 

“History is history”... right. 

I’m pretty sure if someone smacked someone else ten times in a row they’d likely flinch when the other raises his hand the eleventh time. 

The feeling of dread and/or impending doom is definitely justifiable. It’s been borne out too many times for it not to be there. So seeing that manifest itself on gamedays at FedEx within the fanbase absolutely sucks, but it’s not unreasonable. It’s simply the reality. 

Would I like it to be different? Yup. But I understand why it’s not and what it’ll take to change it. Hopefully it gets changed. 

Not sure why you introduced drunkenness into this. That’s always stupid and a catalyst for moronic behavior, whether the fanbase is happy or sad. 

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Redskins have a garbage fan base. If you boo your team, you're an asshole. The ****ing browns got more respect from their fans in a winless season than the division leading skins do during a victory. 

Well Eagles fans were booing their team last night.  But yes, they're assholes :)

I wrote this in the game thread last night, I'll re-post it here.

I understand where he's coming from.  But Norman is missing a few points.  I don't expect him to get it because...well, he's a player and he's an emotional, passionate guy.  Subtract passion and emotion from the equation and step back a little bit.

If you're going on the road as a fan, you're pretty hardcore.  Or if you happen to live in Tampa in this particular case and are a Skins fan and they don't come around often, it's nice to go seem them in person.  Tampa is a cool town, I've never been to a game there but to be out in the sun in November without having to bundle up is nice. 

The best experience I've arguably ever had as a fan watching a Redskins game was a few years ago when I was in LA and the Skins were playing the Saints.  I found a Redskins bar named Joxer Daly's and couldn't believe it.  I had the best time, it was a bunch of DMV transplants who took me in, showed me a good time and were singing Hail to the Redskins after every score.  And we beat the brakes off the Saints that game.  I've never been around a better group of fans at any bar.  I think if you live in opposing waters, you owe it to yourself to find a bar that backs the team you follow, just to get to be around some people who probably come from your home area and can unite over your team.  And I think if you live in opposing waters and your team comes through, you kinda owe it to yourself to go and support your team, especially if they don't come through often.

Unless you live in Philly area.  I totally get not wanting to take your life in your hands.

There's a few things I'd say to JNo here.

First, the Fed Ex game experience is not great.  It's hard to get to.  It's not a great stadium.  There's nothing around to go do after.   There's nothing really outstanding about it.  

Second, it's a transient area.  A lot of people live here that come from other areas for jobs.  See my first point about owing it to yourself to go see your team if they happen to come through.  

Third, the team has been bad for a long, long time and people have been booing since before he got here.  Which ties into why people don't show in the first place.  Maybe JNo doesn't pay too close attention but a lot of the seats in the upper deck have been covered up for awhile now and attendance is dwindling.  I'm not sure what he saw when he first showed up here but IIRC it didn't end up this way over night.  

Fourth, the people that do show up to a stadium that's not great, that have been used to having their team beat year after year and have opponents fans invade are going to boo when the Skins come out flat and lose.  Just the way it is.  

Add all this up and you get fans who want to watch games on their couch on a big screen tv and not have to deal with the Beltway.  

In regards to being a keyboard warrior, I haven't said anything here that I wouldn't say to JNo's face.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say it to his face after a game, in a locker room when he's coming down from a win or a loss but he seems like a dude you can have a beer with and talk to.  He's taking it personally when it's not really personal...the Skins have been bad for a long time. 

We're all tired of the whole thing...from the owner to the stadium to the opposing fans to the losing teams.  The whole thing is stale.

I love JNo, he's a passionate dude and I'm glad he's taking it personally because he cares.  He plays hard.  He wants to be there.  I don't take it personally that he doesn't understand where the fans are coming from.  I don't expect him to.

I'm not secure enough on where I stand to actually opine this time, but I get it. You see the same things said here. The fanbase is squishy soft, and even though you can trot out a bazillion reasons why it still is.

I have followed this team since the Allen running things was George, been some amazing highs and some projectile vomiting inducing lows but at the end of the day I still choose to be a fan, to watch the games and follow the team and hope upon hope for some flickering reflection of what we once were. In other words, this is entertainment for me, I am not going to cut my wrists over it, I am not going to start making pipe bombs, and I most definitely am not going to have some leaking diaper tantrum online over it.

I choose shortsightedness right now, the narrowed vision that sees what it wants to see, the fact that we are right now 6-3, leading the division with a stifling defense and I can wear game gear in public without people offering me a dollar and their sympathies like some diseased beggar.

We'll all get on board the rant-n-rave express in the off season, it's how we pass the time but that ain't right now.

Sorry some of y'all can't seem to enjoy even the faint aroma of enjoyment.

He's probably reacting because its such a ridiculous contrast to away games.

Were you at the game yesterday?

I Was and it was amazing. 

Easily as many skins fans as bucs fans and they were loud and proud. 

After the game they stuck around and screamed and cheered. 

Choruses of hail to the redskins all the way out of the stadium.

It was unbelievable, and the team undoubtedly noticed it and its probably a little frustrating that they can get that type of support on the road and get so little at home.

I do agree that he probably should just keep it to himself but also understand the frustration. 

Josh is correct in what he is saying imo.

Fan is correct saying they have lost a ton of games over the last 25 years, owner sucks, Fed Ex sucks and product on field has mostly sucked.

Im part of the problem. I love the Skins, have disposable income but havent been to a game in 2 years or so. And that game sucked, MNF against Panthers in a slight rain, cold as hell and skins played a horrible boring game that had zero big moments. Empty seats all around.

It is what it is.

This current team plays with heart and deserves better. But apathy has set in. If I go, they will have a bad game against a bad team and suffer a bad loss.

At least if Fed Ex was better and you could take a train directly there.

Our fan base does suck ... but looking at W-L the past 25 years, so does the team.

I do find it interesting that we have good support on the road. That Cardinal game, skins fans were loud. Apparently they were loud yesterday.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Redskins have a garbage fan base. If you boo your team, you're an asshole. The ****ing browns got more respect from their fans in a winless season than the division leading skins do during a victory. 

I kinda have to agree with this.  The fanbase really isnt great.  And sometimes, the truth and reality hurts. Browns, Bills, there are a few teams that have as much, if not more, reason to be disenchanted with the franchise and they treat their team better than we do.  

I cant even rip Norman for these comments.  And in retort, all you hear from fans are excuses.  The stadium, the dysfunction, the owner, etc.  

But look at it this way.

If JNo wants to risk putting a target on his back by calling out the fans, that's on him.

But if it somehow has the effect of getting some folks out there to say to themselves, "you know what? This team is 6-3...….maybe I should buy a ticket for this week and go out there to support these guys?"  All the better. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Shouldn't it be ok to boo when the team makes endless noob mistakes throughout the game though? We're not talking about playing hard and coming up short; we're talking about blunder after blunder at times, especially on offense. Big difference. Btw, I'm not identifying myself as a booer, just asking the question.

The price of going to a game is probably over $200 for one ticket.  So you pay that to see a team that for the last two decades almost has been around 50%.  The team doesn’t really have any high profile superstars to attract anybody.  There is nothing unique about the game day experience or the stadium that would cause anybody to do anything but tailgate.  The traffic leaving a game is very tough.  I don’t think that it’s the fans not supporting the team is the problem.  Fans just don’t see a benefit in going to see a  redskins game anymore.  There is nothing electric about it.  The team, location of the stadium and personnel is just blah.

Archived