Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Josh Norman slams Redskins fans after road win: 'They boo everything'

NewCliche21

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/josh-norman-slams-redskins-fans-after-road-win-they-just-boo-everything/2018/11/11/ede15db6-e5fb-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.f05dfd1cfe53

I was so, so happy about our win yesterday.  Couldn't believe it, as I was at a three-year-old's birthday party in Eagles country.  It was beautiful to see my niece happy and her uncle depressed.

And then I read this ****.  I cannot put into words how infuriating this is, ESPECIALLY coming from someone who's been all talk for half of his time here.  Guess what, Joshy?  We've been fans longer than you've been alive.  Play like trash, get treated like trash.  Maybe don't give up 38 points to the Falcons and lose to the Colts for our home opener, mmkay?  Maybe don't get burnt more often than bread in a broken toaster melting in a fire in Malibu.

Wanna know why Philly's packed?  They just won the ****ing Super Bowl, which YOU had a hand in.  Wanna know why New York is packed?  They've won two Super Bowls in the past 11 years.  Wanna know why Dallas is packed?  It's god damn Dallas.

Wanna know why FedEx isn't packed?  Because our team consistently sucks, which YOU have had a hand in.  Six picks in three years, bro.  Probably double that slipped through your gloves.

I don't know why the hell he thinks he can say this out loud, let alone to the media.  I hope he gets a fine for this ****, as it sure as hell makes me not want to go to games just to spite his $75-million-dollar ass.

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/josh-norman-slams-redskins-fans-after-road-win-they-just-boo-everything/2018/11/11/ede15db6-e5fb-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.f05dfd1cfe53

I don't know why the hell he thinks he can say this out loud, let alone to the media.  I hope he gets a fine for this ****, as it sure as hell makes me not want to go to games just to spite his $75-million-dollar ass.

A fine?  Ha...ok commrade.

That said I really don't why players say anything regarding the fans in a negative way.  Does he really think it's going to encourage fans to come out and cheer?  You sound like a cry baby Josh.  Just shut up and play.

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

awe shucks. Maybe you should attend a game so you can tell him how you really feel.

Uh, I have?  Dozens of times?  Talked to him this year at NY?  You know who didn't talk any smack on his fans?  Any player.  At all.  Swearinger was thrilled that our team has gotten support from the fans.

Try again, buddy.

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Uh, I have?  Dozens of times?  Talked to him this year at NY?  You know who didn't talk any smack on his fans?  Any player.  At all.  Swearinger was thrilled that our team has gotten support from the fans.

Try again, buddy.

neat...

if you you want to be angry, your gonna be angry.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Redskins have a garbage fan base. If you boo your team, you're an asshole. The ****ing browns got more respect from their fans in a winless season than the division leading skins do during a victory. 

If you cheer for crap, then your cheers mean nothing.  Don't like it?  Play better.

Just now, Probos said:

A fine?  Ha...ok commrade.

That said I really don't why players say anything regarding the fans in a negative way.  Does he really think it's going to encourage fans to come out and cheer?  You sound like a cry baby Josh.  Just shut up and play.

Yeah, maybe no fine, but man did this piss me off.  I can't believe he spouted this off to the media.

I'll be happy when that putrid stadium property becomes some kind of business park, outlet mall or other complex and the team moves back to DC where it belongs. Can't go back in time, but I've been to RFK and I've been to Fed Ex. No comparison in terms of the fan experience or the ratio of Skins fans to opposing team fans. Part of it has to do with the terrible teams/coaches/mgmt we've had (each a function of the other elements).......but Norman is not saying something here that I haven't heard a lot of fans say, and that hasn't been said on this forum many, many times by frustrated fans who get sick and tired of going to a home game and seeing other fans, especially those damn Eagles, coloring our stadium with their jerseys. And a lot of the players feel the exact same way. But after a victory, don't ask the man that question. And to Norman, don't answer the question that way after a victory. And just to put a little perspective on it: Reporters have a narrative whenever they interview somebody. They already know what they want to write or broadcast, and they're just looking for you to support that narrative. Just can't fall for the bait.

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Norman is just trying to rally the troops.  There is a topic for how ****ty the fan base is.... a facts a fact.

Rally the troops?  How the hell does that rally the troops when he says he'd rather play on the road than at home?

Come on, man.

4 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah, maybe no fine, but man did this piss me off.  I can't believe he spouted this off to the media.

It's pissing you off because you're taking it personally.  You should never do that with regard to your fandom. 

On the flip side Josh does himself and the team a disservice.  You can say whatever you want, but, that doesn't mean you should.  

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Norman is just trying to rally the troops.  There is a topic for how ****ty the fan base is.... a facts a fact.

Well then, I'll make sure to never hire Josh to be my life coach.

I think I'm on Norman's side here. So far, every time this season I enter ES after a victory it feels like a loss. There's nothing but ****ing and complaining. There's almost not a shred of happiness. It's all handwringing and focus on the bad. The negativism and determination to "keep it real" is insane. There's a segment of the fan base determined to be miserable and poke holes in every half full glass.

If I didn't watch the games and know the standings, I'd swear we were a one win team this year based on the tenor and nonstop misery.

Sure, fans have had a tough history with this team. My faith that the Redskins will continue succeeding is about as fragile as crepe paper during a tsunami, but we're 6-3, finally have a defense that is not losing every lead, and an offense that is letting the other team make the fatal mistake! I don't know that we should feel good about this team. I don't know that we should be leading parades, but I do think we should be high fiving and sharing a beer instead of crying into them.

Right now, the fanbase sucks. It's the teams fault, but our fanbase deserves a round of boos.

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Maybe trying to cultivate an "us against the world" mentality perhaps?

Yes, "US" means the people who were wearing colors before he was and will be long after.  Don't alienate those who spend tens of thousands of dollars over the years, who grow up idolizing anyone in the jersey.  Respect the fans.

Just now, Probos said:

It's pissing you off because you're taking it personally.  You should never do that with regard to your fandom. 

On the flip side Josh does himself and the team a disservice.  You can say whatever you want, but, that doesn't mean you should.  

It's damn personal.  I live and breathe this team.  It'd be different if he were asking fans to step it up.  He's not, he's just saying that he hates playing in front of the fans.  There's nothing but personal there.

So Josh tweeted this later:

From his tweet, I think he is trying to get to light a fire to get fans to go to the game this weekend.

There are a few things to unpack from what Josh was complaining about. First, the booing. Skins are 3-2 at home so far this year.  I've been to all but one (Panthers) of the five home games this year and the only one where I can remember audible booing was at the first game against Indy, which might as well be a distant memory by now.  

Second, perhaps Josh is looking at the number of opposing fans, particularly on the visitors side lower level, who make a racket for their team when something good happens. The presence of visiting fans in that area was definitely not there when the stadium opened 20 years ago, but has gotten worse as the years have gone by and the team has been mediocre.  

Last, the crowd size.  We have a whole thread on this topic and the reasons for the dwindling attendance particularly this season have been documented, but a large part of it I think is the Skins not making a lot of tickets available to brokers to dump on the secondary market. I think the Skins counted those tickets that were sold to brokers as "paid attendance" in the past (even if they didn't wind up being purchased by someone who went to the game), but now they aren't doing that.  Do I think gate attendance has plummeted all of a sudden from 80K to 60K in one season? No, but I do think there has been somewhat of a significant dropoff, largely due to higher secondary prices this year and "week before the game" potential buyers begging off at paying $90 for upper seats and $125 for club seats, when they were paying significantly less in prior years.  Nonetheless,  I can see a player looking at many empty seats in the club and upper decks and scratching his head and wondering why, if he doesn't know all the details.

But on the bright side, attendance at FedEx has seemed to improve as the year has progressed. Forget the Dallas game, 66K, which you knew was going to be well attended. We've gone from 57K (Indy) to just under 60K (GB, rainy) to just over 60K (Carolina) to 63K (Atlanta). Houston will be interesting...….two now 6-3 teams, although the Texans are not a marquee team.

Its tough to say how league attendance as a whole is doing so far this season through week 10. I tried to research it yesterday and of course a few Breitbart articles came back that (trying to leave politics out of this) have their own agenda, so was having a difficult time finding stats.  But just look at RayJay yesterday. Bucs were 3-5, sure, but an exciting team, and they got under 53K in a 65K stadium. 

I don't have a problem with him pointing all this out, and I'm glad he did it in a way, because, even though he doesn't see it, it points back to our ownership and the horrible way he's run this team for so long. The reason for the apathy and the empty seats is our owner and the job he's done, and the people he's tasked with doing it at the highest levels. They've sullied the legacy of this team for a long, long time. Things are going pretty well so far this year, but it's going to take a LOT more to win back fans and to get young people interested in this team again longterm. 

When the players start noticing things like this and talking about it, as much as it hurts for someone who lived through the glory years, you know the chickens are coming home to roost, and hopefully that will lead to change. 

33 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I was so, so happy about our win yesterday.  Couldn't believe it, as I was at a three-year-old's birthday party in Eagles country.  It was beautiful to see my niece happy and her uncle depressed.

And then I read this ****.  I cannot put into words how infuriating this is, ESPECIALLY coming from someone who's been all talk for half of his time here.  Guess what, Joshy?  We've been fans longer than you've been alive.  Play like trash, get treated like trash.  Maybe don't give up 38 points to the Falcons and lose to the Colts for our home opener, mmkay?  Maybe don't get burnt more often than bread in a broken toaster melting in a fire in Malibu.

Wanna know why Philly's packed?  They just won the ****ing Super Bowl, which YOU had a hand in.  Wanna know why New York is packed?  They've won two Super Bowls in the past 11 years.  Wanna know why Dallas is packed?  It's god damn Dallas.

Wanna know why FedEx isn't packed?  Because our team consistently sucks, which YOU have had a hand in.  Six picks in three years, bro.  Probably double that slipped through your gloves.

Simmer down, brush fire...

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Redskins have a garbage fan base. If you boo your team, you're an asshole. The ****ing browns got more respect from their fans in a winless season than the division leading skins do during a victory. 

This. And I totally get why Josh would say this. As someone not able to goto games as I live in another state seeing the way that home fans treat the team is not how other fans act. The home crowds are mostly visiting teams fans because the teams not cherished like it should be. 

Ive been saying this season how I think this is the end of the Josh Norman road here and this imo seals that prediction. Dan won’t sit down and say nothing about this. Bye Josh but thank you for addressing the elephant in the room. Maybe the fans of this team will show up and prove Josh wrong but I doubt it. At 6-3 the fans are talking about a QB change so I doubt it

12 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yes, "US" means the people who were wearing colors before he was and will be long after.  Don't alienate those who spend tens of thousands of dollars over the years, who grow up idolizing anyone in the jersey.  Respect the fans.

I didn't say it was a good idea. :)

Just what he might be trying to do.

However, this is oh-so-typical of the Washington (Com)Post. Whenever the Redskins are doing well, or headed to the playoffs, they put out some article to cause controversy or stir up trouble.

Unfortunately, they have had players now (Josh Norman) or in the past (like Lavar Arrington) that are willing or are foolish enough to assist them.

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

However, this is oh-so-typical of the Washington (Com)Post. Whenever the Redskins are doing well, or headed to the playoffs, they put out some article to cause controversy or stir up trouble.

Unfortunately, they have had players now (Josh Norman) or in the past (like Lavar Arrington) that willing or ate foolish enough to assist them.

You're seriously blaming the Post for Josh Norman's quote? What are they supposed to do, not report something like this to "help the team"? LMAO. If they hadn't reported it, every other sports news service in the country would've. And will. 

31 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

awe shucks. Maybe you should attend a game so you can tell him how you really feel.

But "stadium location suxxxx" "too much to park" "food too expensive" :rofl89:

Yall gotta go out there to support your team man. If there too many opposing fans there buy the tickets and drown em out 

Archived