Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Josh Norman slams Redskins fans after road win: 'They boo everything'

NewCliche21

Just now, CaptainJames2004 said:

Shouldn't it be ok to boo when the team makes endless noob mistakes throughout the game though? We're not talking about playing hard and coming up short; we're talking about blunder after blunder at times, especially on offense. Big difference. Btw, I'm not identifying myself as a booer, just asking the question.

No, you stfu when the offense is on the field.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dude went on and on and on about this just yesterday.  When we’re they supposed to report it? January?

Strange that they would ask that question about the fanbase now.

But if the Redskins win the division and make playoffs, you can be darn sure that the (Com)Post will put out an article just several days before the playoff game, ripping the team over something.

It usually has nothing to do with this year. It is usually some junk from the past they try to stir up again.

It's like clockwork.

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Strange that they would ask that question about the fanbase now.

But if the Redskins win the division and make playoffs, you can be darn sure that the (Com)Post will put out an article just several days before the playoff game, ripping the team over something.

It usually has nothing to do with this year. It is usually some junk from the past they try to stir up again.

It's like clockwork.

There is a conspiracy thread around here somewhere...

Regarding the booing, aside from perhaps that Indy game, I can't think of a game this year where I've really noticed it, even last week when ATL shredded us.  Anyone else have a different opinion?

I did see a video from a few weeks back where Jordan Reed made a vulgar gesture toward someone in the stands. I sit in the club level, but maybe there are folks who sit way down low near the bench who are jerks and make bad comments toward the players. 

Josh is right, not gonna make friends here with this comment but i have to say it. We have alot of lousy fans, 5 or 6 weeks ago people were calling for both Norman and Ryan Kerrigan to be benched, BENCHED! We let the best QB we have had since Mark Rypien won us a Superbowl walk and most of our fans were fine or even happy about it, sad. Read through the game-day threads and its a sea of negativity, We could be up by 2 touchdowns and multiple people will be complaining how a real football team would be up by 30 right now. Our Home games are a complete joke, every game looks like 50/50 fan split.

When you are getting blown out by 30 points or your team just dropped their 5th game in a row by all means boo, but when you are leading the division and winning games STFU.

Sorry if anyone is offended.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Yep, and at least on twitter those fans are getting roasted like a mf'er by the press and fans of other teams.

So, basically, Philly fans getting the same reactions from press and fans of other teams since their unholy inception. Nothing to see here.

Then again, "we" (as in Redskins fans) booed JOE THEISMANN in 1985 on MNF just before he got his leg snapped like a twig, ending his career. Two years removed from league MVP and winning his second SB appearance, and they booed Joe Theismann. And that was, by the way, the "glory days", lol. 

All this holier-than-thou nonsense about "NO BOOING EVER" is ridiculous. It's all about context. The vast majority of boos that have been emitted from this fan base over the last couple decades have been directed not at the individual players, but at ownership, at a general disgust for what the team has become, what the franchise has become, etc. It's very rarely directed at individual players. Norman is right to point out the pathetic home field disadvantage FedEx has become. I'm glad he's done it. But he needs to be directing his anger at the source of the problem. And that ain't the fans. Then again, the source of the problem is also the source of his paycheck, so that ain't gonna happen. 

I get why the players are annoyed by the situation at home, but the fact is, they're clueless. They don't understand what the last 20+ years have done to the franchise and its fanbase. Be happy with the fans who are there. Win for them and more will start coming back. 

I think Norman is simply reacting to a truly remarkable phenomenon. The Redskins fans travel REALLY well. Amazingly well actually. Probably one of the better road “invading” crowds in the entire league. So I think guys like Norman see that and are puzzled by it... the simple question of... “we obviously have passionate fans all over the country, where are they at FedEx?” 

Sure, as fans this is a 25 year deal. For Norman and really everyone a Redskins Park it doesn’t compute because they haven’t been here long at all. So they don’t quite get it and there is really no reason they would get it. 

He didnt rip the fans at all. Just sort of pointed out the puzzling nature of it and as others have said also kind of trying to rally everyone. No issues at all with comments. 

33 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

So, basically, Philly fans getting the same reactions from press and fans of other teams since their unholy inception. Nothing to see here.

Then again, "we" (as in Redskins fans) booed JOE THEISMANN in 1985 on MNF just before he got his leg snapped like a twig, ending his career. Two years removed from league MVP and winning his second SB appearance, and they booed Joe Theismann. And that was, by the way, the "glory days", lol. 

All this holier-than-thou nonsense about "NO BOOING EVER" is ridiculous. It's all about context. The vast majority of boos that have been emitted from this fan base over the last couple decades have been directed not at the individual players, but at ownership, at a general disgust for what the team has become, what the franchise has become, etc. It's very rarely directed at individual players. Norman is right to point out the pathetic home field disadvantage FedEx has become. I'm glad he's done it. But he needs to be directing his anger at the source of the problem. And that ain't the fans. Then again, the source of the problem is also the source of his paycheck, so that ain't gonna happen. 

I get why the players are annoyed by the situation at home, but the fact is, they're clueless. They don't understand what the last 20+ years have done to the franchise and its fanbase. Be happy with the fans who are there. Win for them and more will start coming back. 

So Skins fans in 1985 were acting like Philly fans throughout their history...nice.

And by the way, the story about booing Theismann pretty much contradicts the idea that Skins fans are booing now because of 20+ years of mediocrity punctuated by the occasional playoff run. The Theismann story instead underscores that fans booing is all about the now...trust me, no Skins fan this season was booing because of how the Skins did under Spurrier or because they are "really" booing Snyder for actions he's done over the entirety of his tenure as owner.

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Is it really fans booing when they're home, or is it just the fact that the opposing team has fans that seem to outnumber the Skins fans?  

\Moreso that from how I took Norman's comments, as well as basically saying players feed off the energy of the fans and that energy has been severely lacking at home (in part because of low fan turnout, like you said). 

All you have to do is look through the threads on this board to see how bad this fanbase sucks. We are 6-3 with a 2 game lead in the division and every single thread is full of nothing but ****ing and moaning. HE IS RIGHT IMO.

Now. That doesnt excuse the horrible stadium experience. Or it's pathetic location. I posted in the stadium thread last week just how bad the experience still is.

10 minutes ago, kleese said:

I think Norman is simply reacting to a truly remarkable phenomenon. The Redskins fans travel REALLY well. Amazingly well actually. Probably one of the better road “invading” crowds in the entire league. So I think guys like Norman see that and are puzzled by it... the simple question of... “we obviously have passionate fans all over the country, where are they at FedEx?” 

I do think it was interesting that he made the comparison to the other NFC East teams. I've been to Philly for a lot of Skins-Eagles games and only to NY once in 2016, but they strike me as places where the home crowd holds its ground pretty well and I haven't seen a real invasion of Skins fans at either place. I haven't been to Dallas so I can't speak to that...….obviously there have been instances of AT&T being taken over by the opposition (an early season game against the Niners a few years ago was a good example).

I don't agree with Norman about the booing...….if there has been any, I don't think its been widespread this year). The number of visiting fans on the one side of the lower bowl is nothing new.  The amount of empty seats in the club and upper decks does seem worse this season. Its becoming obvious the demand, aside from the Dallas game, is not there. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Redskins have a garbage fan base. If you boo your team, you're an asshole. The ****ing browns got more respect from their fans in a winless season than the division leading skins do during a victory. 

Thank you. 6-3 and people are complaining we are hurting draft position. 

Yall are so caught up in being the Packers you cant even enjoy the GOOD games anymore. That's what hes talking about. You do suck as fans. Accept it. 

56 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Regarding the booing, aside from perhaps that Indy game, I can't think of a game this year where I've really noticed it, even last week when ATL shredded us.  Anyone else have a different opinion?

I did see a video from a few weeks back where Jordan Reed made a vulgar gesture toward someone in the stands. I sit in the club level, but maybe there are folks who sit way down low near the bench who are jerks and make bad comments toward the players. 

I was at the ATL game and the booing was mainly for the refs for screwing us with the holding calls. But there were TONS of ATL fans there as well.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Redskins have a garbage fan base. If you boo your team, you're an asshole. The ****ing browns got more respect from their fans in a winless season than the division leading skins do during a victory. 

there's not an option to put a like and a thank-you on this so I put a like and I'm telling you thank you

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

All you have to do is look through the threads on this board to see how bad this fanbase sucks. We are 6-3 with a 2 game lead in the division and every single thread is full of nothing but ****ing and moaning. HE IS RIGHT IMO.

Now. That doesnt excuse the horrible stadium experience. Or it's pathetic location. I posted in the stadium thread last week just how bad the experience still is.

I know I am part of the problem ... but man, that stadium sucks so bad. I went to a lot of games about 10-15 years ago and we had great seats but ... going to games ... how crappy the stadium and stadium experience is cant be understated. We had premium seats (row 1 before they added dream seats in front of us) but if it rained all the water would pool up on the first row. You would be standing in 3 inches of water if not more. 

M&T stadium in baltimore is awesome. city right there, bars and food right there. highway right there. train right there. parking right there. Sight lines from any seat are good.

Might have to drag my ass to a game at fed ex ... josh norman is like a grandma with the guilt trip.

Fans boo for many reasons and it's our right to do so. Maybe if Norman paid $200 for seats, $80 for parking, another $100 for food/drinks and then watched his favorite team lose by 24 points at home he'd boo too? He should talk to Santana Moss about how the fans were in 2012 when the Skins won 7 straight to win the division....I'm sure Santana would tell him another side about us fans. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think I'm on Norman's side here. So far, every time this season I enter ES after a victory it feels like a loss. There's nothing but ****ing and complaining. There's almost not a shred of happiness. It's all handwringing and focus on the bad. The negativism and determination to "keep it real" is insane. There's a segment of the fan base determined to be miserable and poke holes in every half full glass.

If I didn't watch the games and know the standings, I'd swear we were a one win team this year based on the tenor and nonstop misery.

Sure, fans have had a tough history with this team. My faith that the Redskins will continue succeeding is about as fragile as crepe paper during a tsunami, but we're 6-3, finally have a defense that is not losing every lead, and an offense that is letting the other team make the fatal mistake! I don't know that we should feel good about this team. I don't know that we should be leading parades, but I do think we should be high fiving and sharing a beer instead of crying into them.

Right now, the fanbase sucks. It's the teams fault, but our fanbase deserves a round of boos.

This ^^

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think I'm on Norman's side here. So far, every time this season I enter ES after a victory it feels like a loss. There's nothing but ****ing and complaining. There's almost not a shred of happiness. It's all handwringing and focus on the bad. The negativism and determination to "keep it real" is insane. There's a segment of the fan base determined to be miserable and poke holes in every half full glass.

If I didn't watch the games and know the standings, I'd swear we were a one win team this year based on the tenor and nonstop misery.

Sure, fans have had a tough history with this team. My faith that the Redskins will continue succeeding is about as fragile as crepe paper during a tsunami, but we're 6-3, finally have a defense that is not losing every lead, and an offense that is letting the other team make the fatal mistake! I don't know that we should feel good about this team. I don't know that we should be leading parades, but I do think we should be high fiving and sharing a beer instead of crying into them.

Right now, the fanbase sucks. It's the teams fault, but our fanbase deserves a round of boos.

I will say that despite the wins, this isn't a good team and I think the negativity you see in here is a reflection of that.  

I know my best friend and I have been talking about it this year, this Skins team is the best of a really ****ty division, I don't think anyone can argue against that.    Basically, they're the only team in the division NOT screwing up.  The Giants flat out suck, the Eagles have a Superbowl hangover and are not playing well and the Cowboys are mediocre on their best day.  We've seen the results of playing against an elite team in New Orleans and another top 10 offense in Atlanta.  A truly good team would have pasted the Colts in that game we played them in.  I'm not saying this team is being held together by dental floss and bubblegum, but I'd say it's being held together by duct tape.  FFS, our most valuable player on offense is a 33 year old running back.  

All we need to do is not screw up, which I've said before is like Alex Smith. This team is winning the division in the Alex Smith fashion which is just not screwing up.  The Redskins have, IIRC, the 2nd easiest schedule remaining.  I'm happy with a division title no matter what but I am under no illusion that this is a team that can hang with the Rams or the Saints.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I will say that despite the wins, this isn't a good team and I think the negativity you see in here is a reflection of that.  

I know my best friend and I have been talking about it this year, this Skins team is the best of a really ****ty division, I don't think anyone can argue against that.    Basically, they're the only team in the division NOT screwing up.  The Giants flat out suck, the Eagles have a Superbowl hangover and are not playing well and the Cowboys are mediocre on their best day.  We've seen the results of playing against an elite team in New Orleans and another top 10 offense in Atlanta.  A truly good team would have pasted the Colts in that game we played them in.  I'm not saying this team is being held together by dental floss and bubblegum, but I'd say it's being held together by duct tape.  FFS, our most valuable player on offense is a 33 year old running back.  

All we need to do is not screw up, which I've said before is like Alex Smith. This team is winning the division in the Alex Smith fashion which is just not screwing up.  The Redskins have, IIRC, the 2nd easiest schedule remaining.  I'm happy with a division title no matter what but I am under no illusion that this is a team that can hang with the Rams or the Saints.  

Who's gives a monkey's ass about their struggles, their weak schedule, their weak division in comparison to their 6-3 division leading record.  Sure they have challenges in front of them, but I'm pretty sure it's a victory Monday. I'd rather drink than turn down the free shot

Archived