Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So the skins are sitting 4-2.. let's take a look at the rest of the schedule

crabbypatty

There's a lot to be said about the poor showing of the offense and the qb, but I thought we should focus on something positive and something that has been overlooked thus far.. the remaining schedule. I know there will be a bunch of "one game at a time" "we're not good enough to look ahead" yada yada yada.. I don't care.. we don't play the games, so we can look ahead and speculate all we want. I'm looking ahead at the schedule and what looked like a terrible slate of games before the season started is now looking pretty nice.

The skins made it through the murder's row of qb's to start the season (Rogers, Luck, Brees, Newton, still got Ryan to deal with) and now with 10 games to go, there are games vs the likes of, Manning 2x, Winston, Bortles Prescott & Mariota. Good qb's to be sure, but definitely a tier or two below those other guys)

Looking at the remaining games, as things stand right now the redskins don't face a team with a winning record. (Correction, they face 1 team with a winning record, the Texans) Some are 3-3, but most are below .500. That will change as the season progresses, but many of these teams appear stuck in neutral or going the wrong way (Falcons, Giants, Tenn, Jax)

There looks to be lots of winnable games on the schedule. Is it outside the realm of possibility that the skins will be 9-2 after the next 5? Even if they only win 2 or 3 of those next 5 games, you're still looking at 7-4, or 8-3, with 5 games remaining.

Obviously a lot depends on guys staying healthy and continuing to play good defense, but I'm excited for the rest of the season.

How do you see the rest of it shaking out? I thought before the season this team would win 10 games, and I still think that.. Hell maybe even 11.

8 Oct 28 WAS @ NYG MetLife Stadium 1:00 PM          
9 Nov 04 ATL @ WAS FedExField 1:00 PM          
10 Nov 11 WAS @ TB Raymond James Stadium 1:00 PM          
11 Nov 18 HOU @ WAS FedExField 1:00 PM          
12 Nov 22 WAS @ DAL AT&T Stadium 4:30 PM          
13 Dec 03 WAS @ PHI Lincoln Financial Field 8:15 PM          
14 Dec 09 NYG @ WAS FedExField 1:00 PM          
15 Dec 16 WAS @ JAX TIAA Bank Field 1:00 PM          
16 Dec 23 WAS @ TEN Nissan Stadium 1:00 PM          
17 Dec 30 PHI @ WAS FedExField 1:00 PM      

I was thinking about making a thread like this good call. 

Suggestion would be replace stadium name with current team record.  I'd like to talk about upcoming opponents as well, but their records puts in context how we can basically slugfest our way into a division title.

Think Houston is only tram currently on our schedule with record over 500 and that's at home, right?  Even if we lose that, thats afc.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I was thinking about making a thread like this good call. 

Suggestion would be replace stadium name with current team record.  I'd like to talk about upcoming opponents as well, but their records puts in context how we can basically slugfest our way into a division title.

Think Houston is only tram currently on our schedule with record over 500 and that's at home, right?  Even if we lose that, thats afc.

correct. The skins have the 2nd best conference record thus far at 4-1, second only to the rams at 4-0. The next closest is the saints at 3-1 and the vikings at 3-1-1

Schedule doesnt look nearly as imposing as it kinda did before the season, which is typical.  We could wind up having one legimately good team on our schedule.  We got roasted by said team already, so the rest if the year are all winnable games against teams just as middling as we are.  

JAX isnt good, Philly and ATL are struggling.  11-5 is probably generous, just because this offense sucks ass and will catch up to them in inopportune spots.  But 10-6 seems very realistic.  They gotta get this NYG to go 5-2 though.  Get any kind of margin for error possible.

Even with that forgiving schedule, we’re still an 8-8 team as presently constructed.

BUT...IF our receiving corps can get some health and IF our QB can establish better chemistry with them and IF AP can maintain his production, we could squeeze out 11 wins and be a tough out in the playoffs.

These next two games are huge regardless of their opponents record. Skins win against NY, that's 5-2 with the 2nd place team in the division guaranteed to have a minimum of 4 losses. They go on to beat ATL as well (6-2), PHI and DAL play that same week, so one of them is slated for another L. The division won't be won this early but the lead would give the Skins some breathing room. The team needs to take each game serious, avoid the traps.

The team can be any place in a few weeks to be honest. I dont think they are too good to get swept by the Eagles. I dont think the Eagles are too good to be swept by us. Nothing in the schedule seems impossible or guaranteed other than a sweep of the giants. And even then, I have been a Skins fan long enough not to count on that either. 

So I'm still going with 8-8 until something improves or someone gets hurt (Reed, AP, Trent....one if them is gonna go down)

Yeah, basically that remaining schedule would put even an 8-8 team at 10-6 to 11-5.  If we just play mediocre for the rest of the season, we make the playoffs.  With the Giants and Atlanta being the next two, that gives us a huge opportunity to gain momentum and confidence, and I think last years Eagles showed how a team with confidence can make a fantastic run of games above their talent level.

Some time ago I heard a coach talk about playing the schedule in 4 game blocks with the realistic goal to go 3-1 in each of the blocks. If you can do that you're 12-4. Maybe that's how we need to look at this...so we went 2-2 in the first block and are 2-0 in the second block of games. Let's run the table in block 2 before looking at the entire schedule....We are in a good spot for sure. Jay needs to keep this train rolling.

30 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Some time ago I heard a coach talk about playing the schedule in 4 game blocks with the realistic goal to go 3-1 in each of the blocks. If you can do that you're 12-4. Maybe that's how we need to look at this...so we went 2-2 in the first block and are 2-0 in the second block of games. Let's run the table in block 2 before looking at the entire schedule....We are in a good spot for sure. Jay needs to keep this train rolling.

I’m pretty sure that was Zorn who said that.

hail to the Black and Maroon!!!!

hip, hip, hooray!

The next game in NY scares me.  Not because I think the Giants are secretly good, but because that is the type of game this team typically loses, and looks bad doing so in, after a nice emotional victory.   

If they can go into NY next Sunday and win....in any fashion, I will start to believe that this could be a sign of things turning.

27 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

I’m pretty sure that was Zorn who said that.

hail to the Black and Maroon!!!!

hip, hip, hooray!

Well if it was Zorn then scratch that idea....I thought it was someone who had success. I'm gonna go beat myself up for citing something Zorn may have said.

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The next game in NY scares me.  Not because I think the Giants are secretly good, but because that is the type of game this team typically loses, and looks bad doing so in, after a nice emotional victory.   

If they can go into NY next Sunday and win....in any fashion, I will start to believe that this could be a sign of things turning.

I hear you but I'm starting to think that JG is feeling the urgency to find a way to win against these teams that have had his number. That, plus the better play of the defense to go with AP's running gives me confidence that we can beat the crap out of Eli. 

Unlike Cousins, Alex Smith is consistent enough to beat a spiraling NYG team. Also unlike Cousins, he is not good enough to beat Philthy.

9-7 is the most likely outcome, since win one/ lose one is JayG's modus operandi. I could see 10-6, but not 11-5.

The football gods would never allow a Snyder team to win eleven games in a season. Their desire is to let JayG win 9 or 10 games every third year so that he stays employed as long as possible whilst inflicting the most disappointment on fans.

A lot winnable games remaining. I do worry about teams that throw the ball a lot because our pass D hasn't been nearly as exceptional as our run D. The Falcons, for example, may put up a big number on us and if it's a shootout I don't have a ton of confidence.

As long as we keep games close and are able to keep with the rush attack, we will be sitting pretty.

I know as fans we can't help but look ahead but the way this offense is playing and especially Smith is playing, all I can say one game at a time.  it would be HUGE if we can beat the Giants in NY.  Why?  We usually have issues with them no matter how bad they are.  After that we will see.  If somehow Alex S can improve even a tiny bit every week we do have a chance to go 10-6 comfortably.  Actually the two games with the Eagles will be huge later on this season, could be the difference of staying home or winning the division.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The truth is nobody was gonna beat the Saints on that night. It was one of those games.

True.  Kinda reminded me of the giants game the week after Wellington Mara died.  I don’t remember the year, it was Gibbs II, and I think we lost like 36-0 or something...

That said, a somewhat more organized effort would have been nice.  The miscommunications in the back end of the defense were appauling. 

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I know as fans we can't help but look ahead but the way this offense is playing and especially Smith is playing, all I can say one game at a time.  it would be HUGE if we can beat the Giants in NY.  Why?  We usually have issues with them no matter how bad they are.  After that we will see.  If somehow Alex S can improve even a tiny bit every week we do have a chance to go 10-6 comfortably.  Actually the two games with the Eagles will be huge later on this season, could be the difference of staying home or winning the division.

This is how I'm feeling... Until I see them play a complete game and actually produce in the 2nd Half offensively, I won't get too excited.

BUT!!! 3-2 over the next five is very realistic.

Archived