Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the highest round the Skins could draft a QB without you going apoplectic?

Riggo-toni

Back in 2012, I started a thread insisting that the Skins needed to draft 2 QBs. I was mercilessly ridiculed for pages.  I bookmarked the thread and bumped it shamelessly back to the front page each time my reasoning proved to be correct.

So, now, after trading for Alex Smith and Kevin Hogan, let me suggest this: if there is the right prospect out there, we should pull the trigqger. I imagine we will likely pick some scrub project in the 6th and let him battle it out with Hogan for #3, BUT...I would be fine taking someone much higher if Campbell et al rate him highly. Remember, the Seahawks drafted Wilson in the 3rd after giving a huge contract to the Packers backup QB (who turned out to be a bust).

So, how high would you go?

I'm going on the record and saying they don't pick a QB this draft   

So in answering the question BPA argument is stupid, if they used the first on a QB it freaking better be to trade him like Dougs been talking about. If they try and play keep away by taking a QB and don't move him I'm going nuts for sure. That would be an epic failure.  

OP why would they take a scrub QB when they have three on the roster now? Taking a QB means that they are either throwing away that draft pick or they are throwing away Colt to save some $$$ or they moved down in the 6th round for nothing.

If that's the plan anything higher then a 5th round pick will make me lose it. I did think 4th round at first but with them having no 3rd round pick the first three picks better be used on something other then QB. Not doing that is stupid

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

If we pick up a third, and we have already used our 1st 2 picks on 2 of our big 3 (DT,RB, LG) then I'd be happy to grab Lauletta in the 3rd.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of Lauletta and think he'll eventually be a huge steal. IMO not ready to start right away because of coming from a smaller school program (though he did light up the Senior Bowl while playing against tier 1 competition) but I think if you give him a year or so he could end up being a great NFL QB. I'd go 3rd round for him as well, if we can recoup it with a 1st round trade back. I think we have too many other needs right now with Smith inked in to really want to go QB earlier..unless something insane happens like Darnold or Rosen falling to us; then you'd have to at least consider it.

1st. If one of Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield we’re to somehow fall to 13 I would have no issue with us selecting one. Not going to happen though.

If we took Allen at #13 though I will get the tourches and someone else can organize the pitchforks ...

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Agreed. I'm a big fan of Lauletta and think he'll eventually be a huge steal. IMO not ready to start right away because of coming from a smaller school program (though he did light up the Senior Bowl while playing against tier 1 competition) but I think if you give him a year or so he could end up being a great NFL QB. I'd go 3rd round for him as well, if we can recoup it with a 1st round trade back. I think we have too many other needs right now with Smith inked in to really want to go QB earlier..unless something insane happens like Darnold or Rosen falling to us; then you'd have to at least consider it.

If he's there in the 4rth, I'm down. 

Can't see us allocating a top pick to QB when we have other holes that could be addressed (and help us this season) such as NT and LG. 

Alex Smith, barring injury, is our starter for the next 2-3 years.  Drafting a successor now would negate the benefits of a rookie QB contract.  Right now, assuming Smith doesn't completely bomb, I don't think we revisit QB in a meaningful manner until 2020.  

So I'd be pissed if we drafted a QB in the 1st or 2nd (we don't have a 3rd).  Even drafting a QB later rounds 4-7 would be a waste, because we need young guys that can improve our STs, and possibly be depth.  

Nope not this year.  The Skins just dumped a **** load of money in Alex Smith's direction,  with the moniker "we are winning now."   I am fine with his age this year but next year, not so much.

So go fill your spots.   Right now high priority is  DL, LG, RB and probably CB.  Let's be super solid on the line.

And I am not too excited about our WR's by the way.  Richardson after further investigation has been known to drop easy passes.  

This year the Skins picks need to strategically match their other moves, and fill positions of need to strengthen and bolster their off season moves. 

The Skins shouldn't draft a QB for a lot of reasons most notably they have demonstrated they have no talent for evaluating QBs.  They bet the farm for a no talent bust and then sat on a real talent until he didn't want to be here.  The Skins should spend their draft choices on making the run game work and helping Smith succeed.  Leave drafting QBs to competent franchises.

26 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If they draft a good QB, it would be idiotic for anyone to be "apoplectic" over it. 

The question was 'draft a QB'.  Barring unforeseen circumstances, we wouldn't be able to assess whether he's any good (at a pro level) for a few years.  So it's a waste of a pick.  

I don't think QB is in the plans for this year's draft. I think the wise thing to do is to gain more core players, add young FA talent at reasonable prices and to foster continuity throughout the coaching staff. As the team becomes more solid in all phases, adding a young QB won't be so detrimental. Just think about it...you draft a QB now and develop him for the next 2 or 3 years. Alex retires and now you have to pay that QB (that hasn't taken a snap) FA money to keep him. Make no mistake, there is not one QB in this years draft that even comes within a 100 miles of Alex's talent. And there is surely not one, I've seen after the first round that would be as good 2 or 3 years from now. So why waste a pick?

Here's something......Trent William is coming around third for the most part (injuries and weed). It might not be a bad move to find a beast on the blind side in this years draft. Move that beast to guard until Trent goes into HOF mode and then shift the beast back to his natural position. But bringing in a future QB right now makes no sense to me unless he's a Andrew Luck or a Carson Wentz type -- None out there.  

Oh yea.....I'd be confused more than apoplectic. 

19 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Skins shouldn't draft a QB for a lot of reasons most notably they have demonstrated they have no talent for evaluating QBs.  They bet the farm for a no talent bust and then sat on a real talent until he didn't want to be here.  The Skins should spend their draft choices on making the run game work and helping Smith succeed.  Leave drafting QBs to competent franchises.

Very well said sir!!

Unless they accumulate more picks the QB shouldn't be in their thoughts until at least the 5th round. Heck, it would be easy to use all the current picks on defense alone. Of course they more than likely will grab a RB and interior OL at lest on the offensive side. If the can pick up picks I would be okay with using a 3rd if someone they had high on their boards fell into their laps similar to Cousins. 

Archived