Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the highest round the Skins could draft a QB without you going apoplectic?

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Seriously? How would that not apply to any pick of any player at any position?

A QB that isn't going to see any game action for 3 years would put us in the position of not knowing if he justifies the pick for 4 years, minimum.  Barring a first round selection, that's the entire length of a rookie contract.  We're not in a Romo/Dak situation where we can easily move on from our current starter.  We're committed to him for 3 seasons.

Any other position in the first or second, you're going to see pretty quickly whether they can play (and you're hoping for a starter/strong contributor in those rounds). 

At later rounds, what's the point (this season)?  We already traded for Hogan, so with that 6th round swap with the Browns, and the 3rd rounder we sent to the Chiefs, how much more draft capital do we need to spend on the position in one offseason? 

Considering McCoy would be the odd man out, I'd like to think we would have enough sense to have one backup that could step in and execute the offense, if necessary.  

3 hours ago, megared said:

At later rounds, what's the point (this season)?  We already traded for Hogan, so with that 6th round swap with the Browns, and the 3rd rounder we sent to the Chiefs, how much more draft capital do we need to spend on the position in one offseason? 

The "point" is it's the most important position in the sport and your starter is 34. If you find a quality player at the position, you take him without even thinking about it.

Passing on that opportunity because  we have Kevin Hogan would the most Redskin-like act of stupidity I can think of.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

The "point" is it's the most important position in the sport and your starter is 34. If you find a quality player at the position, you take him without even thinking about it.

Passing on that opportunity because  we have Kevin Hogan would the most Redskin-like act of stupidity I can think of.

All I'm saying is put two and two together.  If there was a chance they were going to draft a QB, they probably wouldn't have traded for Hogan.  We're not going to carry 4 QBs on the active roster.  

At this point, even if a QB is on the board at 13, they should trade down because the guy's not seeing the field, and we get no value from him because of the enormous financial commitment we've already made to Alex Smith.  

Dead cap hit for Alex Smith by year:

2018:  $55 M

2019:  $42 M

2020:  $20 M

2021:  $13.5 M

I’m not saying they should do it this year, but like @Rufus T Firefly said, the starter will be 34 during the season. 

At some point, Redskin fans have to stop being afraid of investing a top pick in a QB and stop with this middle round bull**** of trying to find and develop the next Tom Brady. 

The history of HOF SB winning QBs in this league have been more or less 1st round picks.

Griffin didn’t work out. Almost ancient history by now. Need to take a chance sooner than later. 

#NoMoreQB-PTSD

On 4/13/2018 at 8:20 PM, MartinC said:

If we took Allen at #13 though I will get the tourches and someone else can organize the pitchforks ...

I’ve never understood why axes, shovels and rales are not appropriate to bring to a good mob/protest.  

And with flashlights and GPS, who really needs torches anymore?  Though I have some very non-scary tiki torches if anybody needs to borrow them for a protest. 

On 4/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

1st round - pure BPA. If the BPA at 13 is a QB, you take the QB. 

I think QB is the one position that is exempt from this rule typically, because you can have only one playing.  13 is a bit high to get s player who won’t probably see the field for 3+ years...

I wouldn’t be pissed, but I also think Gruden and Allen need to win 10 games this year to ensure their return, and that pick isn’t going to help them get to that goal...

On 4/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

If they draft a good QB, it would be idiotic for anyone to be "apoplectic" over it. 

Come on dude, when has looming like an idiot for going apoplectic stopped anybody from doing that on this board ever?

11 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I’m not saying they should do it this year, but like @Rufus T Firefly said, the starter will be 34 during the season. 

At some point, Redskin fans have to stop being afraid of investing a top pick in a QB and stop with this middle round bull**** of trying to find and develop the next Tom Brady. 

The history of HOF SB winning QBs in this league have been more or less 1st round picks.

Griffin didn’t work our. Almost ancient history by now. Need to take a chance sooner than later. 

#NoMoreQB-PTSD

I've been on record as against the Alex Smith trade, primary because of what it implies.  The money committed to him means the front office wants him to start for three years.  And in today's NFL you can't stash a game ready QB for three seasons. 

Since we kicked the QB can down the road, our FO needs to put the best pieces around Smith to compete now.  From that perspective, RB, NT, G make sense early.  

8 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I think the age thing is something people are getting a bit hung up on. My main point was, as I believe yours is,  if you can draft a QB who's a value, you do it. Whether that's the 13th pick (I doubt it will be) or in the following rounds (much more likely, as I've said many times I think this is the best draft for second-tier QBs I've ever seen). The only way I would maybe consider passing on such a QB is if my current starter was generationally great and/or really young. Smith is neither of those. 

And if the presence of Kevin freaking Hogan affects a team's thinking on such a thing, then that team really has no idea what they're doing.

8 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

As much as I want to agree with you, I looked into this and that's not true:

Terry Bradshaw - #1 overall

John Elway - #1 overall

Troy Aikmen - #1 overall

Joe Namath - 1st Round

Brett Favre - 2nd Round

Joe Montana - 3rd Round

Johnny Unitas - 9th Round

Roger Staubach - 10th Round

Bart Starr - 17th Round

Steve Young - 1st Round Supplemental

Kurt Warner - Undrafted

If you want to say that in the modern age (post-2000), most of our potential future HOF SB Winning QBs are 1st rounders, that's a tough sell, considering Brady won 5 of them (6th round pick) and Brees was drafted in the 2nd. If you want to add Big Ben, Peyton, and Rodgers to that list, you have to add those two as well (I'm not sold on Eli getting into HOF, and if Russell Wilson (3rd Round) wins another, they should both have equal claims to getting in).

All in all, we're better off signing or trading for a QB, imo.  It's not about being scared to take a chance on a first rounder, I don't trust us to develop him properly or protect him so he doesn't get shell-shocked like Ramsey did.  We all should be in agreement that you can't stash a 1st Round QB in today's NFL, that's why KC traded Alex Smith to us in the first place.

15 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Totally agree, he may not even make the team.

I think they plan to use McCoy or Hogan as the backup and look to the draft for a late rounder. It would allow a #3 to learn while perhaps on the PS for a year. They then have him on the cheap through his rookie contract.  The thing is, that's what they had in Sudfeld and they lost him which I am still confused by.

On 4/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

This is the correct answer.

If this FO actually has a logical plan, it would seem that the trade  for Smith means they are committed to a course of action for trying to win "now."   Because their aging " franchise QB" doesn't have that long of a shelf life left.

By going the Smith route, the FO is essentially claiming that almost all the pieces are 'nearly' in place -- that the 2018 Skins are ready to compete for a playoff berth, and maybe even to go deep into the playoffs.  [From my perspective, and assessing the current line-up, I'm not sold on this conclusion.  I feel the Skins FO took a premature "future is now" approach, and effectively derailed their chances for a "genuine rebuild," wherein the Skins could be really competitive in 2020, and beyond.]

Sadly, this philosophy of "Winning in 2018", is the line that Gruden and Allen have to pitch, especially if they want to keep their jobs.  Otherwise, there'd be questionsraised about why Skins rebuild is still continuing after so many years.

So, I suspect you'll see the Skins reaching for 'needs' instead of going after BPA talent which dropped to their pick, but that doesn't immediately improve their starting roster.  Luckily, the Skins have so many needs, you might still see a BPA selection.  ....But that won't happen at QB.  I doubt the Skins even consider drafting  any QB before the 6th round, maybe even later.

The only way the Skins draft a QB in the early/middle rounds is if they want to save salary and plan to cut MCCoy (which I don't think will happen, because Gruden likes him, and he might be needed for a "run deep into the playoffs.)

Me, I think the Skins could find a decent backup QB, as late as the 4th round, and who might be helpful to have on the  Skins roster in 2020.   That said, I really don't expect the Skins to ignore their "immediate needs" at other positions, simply to invest in the future.  

On 4/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

1st round - pure BPA. If the BPA at 13 is a QB, you take the QB. 

But this is so vague it's not even funny. There's a tremendous amount of money and resources that impacts the rankings of these players based on position, skill-set, behavior, future and present value etc. For example; if the Redskins end up taking Hayden Hurst because he's "BPA" I'll break something. Why? Because we have a ton of money and roster space dedicated to this position. How much can a tight end really impact (not just any) but this roster with the current circumstance. Hindsight is absurd in sports given environments, coaching, opportunity, mentality, team, etc so even if Hurst became an absolute stud in 3 years on Lions team that doesn't mean it would have occurred here at all. 

The only reason we would spend our #1 on a QB is if we absolutely believe he's the starter in 3 years. Most of the kids in this class can't separate themselves from each other and we're better off holding off until 4 or later at that position this year. Brandon Scherff, Trent Williams, Jon Allen, Ryan Kerrigan were not only needs but also some of the best values at those positions so you need to combine logic with roster needs no matter what you think "BPA" is. 

Bottom line; there is enough of a need on our roster and skillet at the following positions: Safety, Defensive Tackle, Interior O-line and there's no damn excuse we don't fill one of those with our first pick. There's nothing wrong or stubborn about that, it's the correct way to do it and history has treated us well when we have. 

I dont want a QB drafted, unless we plan on carrying 3. Anyone worth anything will be snatched from our practice squad.  Getting Alex and Hogan points to a quick fix at QB, scheduled to last longer than the window needed to develop QBs with modernized OCs playbooks.

If a great QB presents themselves to us, offer up the pick to a team that needs a QB because they will overpay. We do not need a QB. Or did I dream we just traded for a vet QB. And now have 3.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:16 AM, Renegade7 said:

As much as I want to agree with you, I looked into this and that's not true:

Terry Bradshaw - #1 overall

John Elway - #1 overall

Troy Aikmen - #1 overall

Joe Namath - 1st Round

Brett Favre - 2nd Round

Joe Montana - 3rd Round

Johnny Unitas - 9th Round

Roger Staubach - 10th Round

Bart Starr - 17th Round

Steve Young - 1st Round Supplemental

Kurt Warner - Undrafted

If you want to say that in the modern age (post-2000), most of our potential future HOF SB Winning QBs are 1st rounders, that's a tough sell, considering Brady won 5 of them (6th round pick) and Brees was drafted in the 2nd. If you want to add Big Ben, Peyton, and Rodgers to that list, you have to add those two as well (I'm not sold on Eli getting into HOF, and if Russell Wilson (3rd Round) wins another, they should both have equal claims to getting in).

All in all, we're better off signing or trading for a QB, imo.  It's not about being scared to take a chance on a first rounder, I don't trust us to develop him properly or protect him so he doesn't get shell-shocked like Ramsey did.  We all should be in agreement that you can't stash a 1st Round QB in today's NFL, that's why KC traded Alex Smith to us in the first place.

Hence why I used the words "More or Less."  The draft used to be 20 rounds, then 12 and now 7.  I don't want to do research, but it would be interesting to see how many HOF or SB/NFL Championship winning QBs were selected in (let's say) the top 2-3 rounds over the years.  I also wanted to say the Roger Staubach won the Heisman and probably would have been a 1st round pick, but had a 4 year Navy commitment coming out of college, so I guess teams were leery of waiting on that.  Young would have been a 1st rounder also, but decided to go to the USFL.

On 4/15/2018 at 5:57 PM, pjfootballer said:

Griffin didn’t work out. Almost ancient history by now. Need to take a chance sooner than later. 

#NoMoreQB-PTSD

you know what?  It's never worked out for us, so no we don't

Archived