Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

Everyone should go down the list of NFL teams, there are over 20 quality QB's and only 32 teams, if over 50% of the teams have quality QB's that's not really the definition of scarce.

To me like 20% of the teams having quality QB's would be "scarce".

25 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Who has led the team to what? What has Kirk done to make you think he has what it takes to take us to the promised land? 

Weren't you just on here yesterday talking about it being a team sport?  Besides which, in 3 years, Kirk has lead us to the playoffs, narrowly missed the playoffs, and kept us competitive in a season just about everything went wrong - I honestly can't recall a qb facing as much adversity as Kirk did this year.  

I get it though.  If one looks at this through a prism of "Kirk is nothing special", then letting him walk is a no brainer.  I can point out elite stats, adversity, lack of support from the defense and run game, the fact that even the best qbs need a good D (and/or ground game) to win...and it won't make a difference.  We saw it repeatedly in terms of the goalposts being moved in the criticisms of him - he needs a good oline, he needs good receivers, he's terrible in the red zone, he's afraid to throw certain balls, he can't scramble, etc., etc.  

Conversely, if someone believes Kirk is a good to very good qb, nothing you say will sway them.  

So, your argument becomes, let's restart.  Maybe this time we'll do better than Shuler, Ramsay, Campbell or Griffin.  My point is, why don't we try it the other way around for a change.  We finally have a good qb, so maybe we ride it out and it works this time.  If it doesn't, then we're right back to square one... i.e. no worse off than we've been for 25 or whatever years.  

I'll add this... we can look at the holes on the roster and say they're insurmountable if we pay Kirk to a LTD.  We could also look at the roster and how it has changed from 2015 (Kirk's 1st year as a starter and our last playoff berth) to today for a different:

Safeties are improved

ILbs (if Brown re-signs) are improved

Dline is much improved

OLBs have improved

3rd down back has improved 

Corners have improved

RB depth has improved

QB has improved 

Pass catchers are worse - better TE depth and pass catching back, but worse receivers and our #1 TE has bigger injury concerns. 

Oline is a toss up - Scherff and Moses are better and Roullier may be an upgrade over Long, but Roullier will likelyhave growing pains and we don't have a LG.  

I've banging the drum for 3 things on defense for a while now - getting better up the middle (DL, ILBs and safeties), adding a NT, and finding a slot corner.  We've done 2 of the three (still room for improvement and depth of course), including the hardest one (bolstering the spine of the D).  We've also needed to improve a lackluster ground game.  Other, smaller (but important) issues have needed to be improved - 3rd down %, red zone %, etc., but those things have see-sawed.

The things I'm seeing now that need to be addressed -

Improve the ground game (add a well rounded TE and talented back, maybe bump up Sprinkle's playing time)

Improve the pass catchers (maybe sign a FA receiver and draft one, hope for better health from Reed and better play from Crowder/Doctson)

Add a NT

Don't think those things are very difficult to address this offseason.  We could easily get one of the top NTs, backs and TEs in Rds 1,2 and 4.  Receiver is trickier, but a 3rd rounder plus a pretty good FA receiver would likely be a significant upgrade.  Doesn't mean they all pan out of course.  

Obviously there are other things that could/would help - an ILB to pair with Brown, a safety to compete with Nicholson, better depth at dline, a better LG than Kalis/Catalina/Long, etc.

Long story short, this roster is obviously far from complete (don't think there is such a thing though), but it might be more well rounded than it's been in a long time, and we have a legitimate shot at addressing/upgrading/filling our most glaring holes.  So like I said, I'm in favor of staying the course and retaining our best qb in ages to lead it all.  If we can, anyway... but that's a different issue.  

38 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Weren't you just on here yesterday talking about it being a team sport?  Besides which, in 3 years, Kirk has lead us to the playoffs, narrowly missed the playoffs, and kept us competitive in a season just about everything went wrong - I honestly can't recall a qb facing as much adversity as Kirk did this year.  

I get it though.  If one looks at this through a prism of "Kirk is nothing special", then letting him walk is a no brainer.  I can point out elite stats, adversity, lack of support from the defense and run game, the fact that even the best qbs need a good D (and/or ground game) to win...and it won't make a difference.  We saw it repeatedly in terms of the goalposts being moved in the criticisms of him - he needs a good oline, he needs good receivers, he's terrible in the red zone, he's afraid to throw certain balls, he can't scramble, etc., etc.  

Conversely, if someone believes Kirk is a good to very good qb, nothing you say will sway them.  

So, your argument becomes, let's restart.  Maybe this time we'll do better than Shuler, Ramsay, Campbell or Griffin.  My point is, why don't we try it the other way around for a change.  We finally have a good qb, so maybe we ride it out and it works this time.  If it doesn't, then we're right back to square one... i.e. no worse off than we've been for 25 or whatever years.  

Great post per usual speaking with you I appreciate it

To me your pointing out how aspects of the team over the past three seasons has gotten better certainly has validity and I agree. Football is 11 on 11. It’s not a game where the best QB gets you titles

What you quoted though was missed I think. Maybe it’s the stained way that the season ended with Kirk playing his worst career game to close another season has tainted me somewhat. Maybe it’s all of the end of season crushing defeats by the Giants that lead me to believe they have him figured out which make me ask this. Whatever the case I’m wondering why we have backed into this corner and thinking that it’s Cousins or no one

So I’m asking it anyway and simply saying “maybe it works this time” doesn’t address the point I was making earlier. 

Knowing that a capable replacement is cheaper and available leaving more cap room on the table to sign another piece of the puzzle why stick with the more expensive option?

we all like Cousins and we all appreciate what he’s done here. In no way am I some sort of hater of him. I like him just fine just like you and everyone else. Liking someone doesn’t mean that they are the right puzzle piece though

What I’m saying is that the team needs more then just Cousins to take the next step so what has Kirk done that makes you believe he’s the only guy who can lift the team up to the promised land?

If he’s not the only guy to do that why not explore cheaper options? Paying Kirk 28 million this offseason is going to hurt our chances to compete in free agency. All of the other 31 teams have cap money as well.

As much as I say things like we should use the first pick on a stud franchise RB truth is you can’t draft for need alone. Doing that is a bad way to build the team. So saying what you did there and say we can use picks 1 to 4 on this or that position isn’t the way teams should draft to me

But if he is the only guy to take them further next year and you believe that can you sell me on why you feel that way? I don’t see it that way. Your right that the two sides probably aren’t open to thinking differently but from my heart I just want what’s best for the team that’s going to produce the most wins. So my ears are always open

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

The NFL changes so much year to year though that the ramifications of Kirk leaving could mean disaster for 2018, but then meaningless for 2019, 2020, etc etc.....we simply don't have the ability to forecast what the Redskins look like minus Kirk Cousins. 

I think you've been around here long enough to know for a fact that this is hilariously untrue. 

In fact this is about the time in history when the hardcore dumpster fire advocates separate themselves from the rest of us who can see when history is about to repeat itself. The Redskins won't win 10 games for another decade without Cousins, but if our FO was worth a **** they could easily add a top 10 Wr, Rb, and build a top 10 defense so that Cousins is working with what every other good team is. Then we'd at least compete for championships.

But by following the Dan Snyder method of reality avoidance many fans have still convinced themselves that great qbs win by themselves. 

Which is hilariously untrue and disproven with very basic information.

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Who has led the team to what? What has Kirk done to make you think he has what it takes to take us to the promised land? 

Baby steps man.  Do you not remember how bad this team was before KC took the helm?  We were perrenial bottom of the bucket with 3-5 wins being the norm with the exception of the fluke ass season with RG3 and a 7 game win streak to get us from 3-6 to 10-6 to make the playoffs, and some of the Gibbs 2.0 years.  Being mediocre is a huge step in the right direction.  We're not going to go from a 3-13 team to a 13-3 team in one season.  It takes time, and we're slowly but surely going in the right direction.

And sure I know we were 7-9 this season and that's not 9-7 that we were 2 years ago, but as you said, an average sample size with him here is 8-8 and before that, the average sample size is closer to 5-11 (guestimating, not factually correct).  You gotta look big picture (3 years) and not just the last 1 year.  Just like with Cousins you can't cherry pick the few bad games he has and ignore all of the good games he has.  

I'll take that any day and continue to build on that.  Consistency in this league is what builds teams that are constantly at the top and competing.  I'm all for keeping the same core group of guys around, including KC, and seeing what we can do with some added pieces.  While it doesn't matter, I truly think if we didn't have so many people on IR this season that we would have made the playoffs and could have made some sort of run.  And that's even with a lack of talent at WR and RB.

And if it fails, in 2-3 years we'll then start over and KC can part ways and we'll get a new QB.  But to do it this soon, when we've seen quite a bit of progress in the 3 years he's been at the helm compared to the previous decades, I am a fan of where it's going.

24 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

There was a discussion on one of the morning sports shows surrounding the unprecedented number of veteran UFA QB's this year.  Obviously, not all will hit the market, maybe even KC but the number is pretty amazing.  This list is minus a few more that wouldn't fit on the page.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Forget Brees.  There's no way he's leaving New Orleans.  SF will not give up Garoppolo either.  After him, Kirk is the ONLY QB that could be considered a reliable starter worthy of $20M a year.  No one else on that list are worth building a team around. 

ROFL - Gabbert and Osweiler should never be on a list of NFL QBs!  They made our defense look good!

10 hours ago, Bang said:

Such nobility.

You want to lose because you don't want your fan feelings to be hurt.

It's ridiculous. Professional means they play for money, period. Loyalty and feelings are for sale.

He doesn't "want to be here" is bull****.

Money makes a professional feel wanted. And, if he has a professional attitude, which he does, he will be loyal to who signs his check.

You know why Colt "wants to be here "?

Because he is not good enough to be wanted elsewhere.  No offers coming in for him, no platitudes being made by anyone. No one else in the NFL wastes time considering him as a starter and they haven't since he showed everyone why he's not.

If Colt had the ability to be even a marginal starter, he would be. Talent at the QB is scarce, rarest in pro sports. No one who can play at a starting NFL level sits at #2 for as long as he has, especially given that he was drafted to be an NFL starter. There is meaningful film on him and every single team in the league who has needed a QB have removed him from their list of candidates. No trade offers, no wooing from anyone.

QB is not only the hardest position to fill, it is also the one teams will reach for the most, the one they will overspend for. 

So to point out the obvious, Kirk has a line of suitors in front of him getting ready to make him their franchise. .. and Colt has nobody calling his name except fans.

We can do the smart thing, or we can worry about our feelings and practically  guarantee staying losers who will once again blow it all up and start over in another year.

~Bang

As true as most of that is, you could make the claim a year ago the same applied for Case Keenum. He may have only one solid year under his belt, but his team is likely going to be playing in a Superbowl soon and we haven't sniffed one since I was 11. 

I also don't think Kirk wants to be here. I still think they should offer Kirk a long term deal that is the equal of what Stafford got or better. Regardless, I don't think he'll sign it. I guess we'll see how this all plays out. 

35 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Baby steps man.  Do you not remember how bad this team was before KC took the helm?  We were perrenial bottom of the bucket with 3-5 wins being the norm with the exception of the fluke ass season with RG3 and a 7 game win streak to get us from 3-6 to 10-6 to make the playoffs, and some of the Gibbs 2.0 years.  Being mediocre is a huge step in the right direction.  We're not going to go from a 3-13 team to a 13-3 team in one season.  It takes time, and we're slowly but surely going in the right direction.

And sure I know we were 7-9 this season and that's not 9-7 that we were 2 years ago, but as you said, an average sample size with him here is 8-8 and before that, the average sample size is closer to 5-11 (guestimating, not factually correct).  You gotta look big picture (3 years) and not just the last 1 year.  Just like with Cousins you can't cherry pick the few bad games he has and ignore all of the good games he has.  

I'll take that any day and continue to build on that.  Consistency in this league is what builds teams that are constantly at the top and competing.  I'm all for keeping the same core group of guys around, including KC, and seeing what we can do with some added pieces.  While it doesn't matter, I truly think if we didn't have so many people on IR this season that we would have made the playoffs and could have made some sort of run.  And that's even with a lack of talent at WR and RB.

And if it fails, in 2-3 years we'll then start over and KC can part ways and we'll get a new QB.  But to do it this soon, when we've seen quite a bit of progress in the 3 years he's been at the helm compared to the previous decades, I am a fan of where it's going.

So it's worth giving a record breaking contract to someone who has gotten us to "mediocre" for 3 years? Also, how exactly are we going to keep improving if we sink a bunch of our cap space into Kirk? We'll be strapped for cash when it comes to getting decent FAs. That means we would HAVE to hit on lots of draft picks in the next year or two and with the current FO I have some doubts about that. I guess I just don't see Kirk as a guy who is going to be able to go all the way unless he has a dominant cast around him and I don't see us being able to build that if we're giving him 20% of our cap.

The middle tier QB is growing in number and the market hasn’t caught up to it yet. 

The elite class is the true scarcity. It seems many blur these two. 

Its simply easier to be QB in today’s game and old football heads with archaic schemes are being cycled out with new innovative coaches who are more willing to coach to a players skill set or comfort zones. 

Regarding the 2018 Free Agent QBs a site I frequent did a breakdown of the top 10 available free agents. The site is overthecap.com and they really know the salary cap well, so it's fairly timely for use as fans. 

Overall they have Kirk rated the #1 QB out there with an estimated contract between $27.5-$29M/year, $65M fully guaranteed. 

I'd say with Brees and Garoppolo probably being locked up by their respective teams there's a huge gap between Cousins and the next available options being Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater, McCown, Cutler, Fitzpatrick then Stanton. If you check the 'expected contracts' of each write up there's a significant contract downturn at that point. 

Go one step further and look at how many teams need a QB and how much cap space is out there Kirk's is in a great spot to cash in. Good for him. He bet on himself and it's paid off. Probably bad for us, but then again the Skins created this issue by not wanting to commit 2 years ago and continuing down that road last season. Ughhhhhhh.....

5 hours ago, bobandweave said:

QBs drafted since 2012

2012: Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Case Keenum

2013: No one

2014: Jimmy G, Teddy B, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles

2015: Jamies Winston, Marcus Mariota, 

2016: Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott

2017: for the sake of arguement won’t list anyone yet but certainly could like Deshaun Watson and others

Kirk is better than most of those guys.  Some of them don't even belong in the conversation.

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

As true as most of that is, you could make the claim a year ago the same applied for Case Keenum. He may have only one solid year under his belt, but his team is likely going to be playing in a Superbowl soon and we haven't sniffed one since I was 11. 

There is vast difference between the Vikings and what the Redskins had to trot out this year.  Case has done a good job, but the Vikings are stacked and healthy on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

There was a discussion on one of the morning sports shows surrounding the unprecedented number of veteran UFA QB's this year.  Obviously, not all will hit the market, maybe even KC but the number is pretty amazing.  This list is minus a few more that wouldn't fit on the page.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Brees, Keenum and Garapollo are going to be resigned and will not be available.

The rest of list is worthless save for Cousins and Bridgewater.  Bradford is too injury prone.

Alex Smith, Andy Dalton and maybe AJ Mccarron are QBs you may trade for.  Chance AJ gets declared a free agent on Feb. 15.

One thing if we decide to move on from Kirk. Does anyone really think the quality QBs, that will be available in free agency or can be traded for; will want to come here?   The Redskins would probably be the last or next to last team, those QBs I mentioned; would want to sign with or be traded to.  

Teams that can use a new QB: Buffalo, New York Jets, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Arizona & Denver .

Other than the Cleveland Browns, the rest of them aren't rebuilding.  Cleveland is the only team that maybe a worse option than us to play for. You know, the head coach is probably going to be fired after 2018. So, why go there.   I just think those QBs have better options than Washington.  Even Kirk, it's better for him to not even consider Washington and just come out and say he will not resign with us. He has better options.

The Redskins may just end up with Colt Mccoy starting by default until the rookie QB is ready to come in. You may sign one of those lesser QBs on that list to be Colt's backup for now.

We decide to move on, then expect a 2-3 years at least before we can become competitive again.

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The middle tier QB is growing in number and the market hasn’t caught up to it yet. 

The elite class is the true scarcity. It seems many blur these two. 

Its simply easier to be QB in today’s game and old football heads with archaic schemes are being cycled out with new innovative coaches who are more willing to coach to a players skill set or comfort zones. 

It's not a 3 tier system being upper, middle and bottom. The names are debatable, but I'd say it looks something like this: 

#1 (proven franchise guys) = Brady/Wilson/Rodgers/Brees - These guys absolutely make everyone around them better. 

#2 (have or could do it) = Ben/Wentz/Luck/Stafford/Cousins/Newton/Ryan/Rivers

#3 (could string together big wins) = Eli/Mariota/Flacco/Prescott/Keenum/Winston/Goff/A.Smith/Carr/Tannehill/Winston/Garoppolo/Watson

#4 (It's not happening) = Dalton/Cutler/Bortles/Taylor/Bradford/McCown

#5 (the unknowns) = Kizer/Bridgewater/Mahones/Trubisky

There would be a 6th tier for garbage. RG3 is there. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

So it's worth giving a record breaking contract to someone who has gotten us to "mediocre" for 3 years? Also, how exactly are we going to keep improving if we sink a bunch of our cap space into Kirk? We'll be strapped for cash when it comes to getting decent FAs. That means we would HAVE to hit on lots of draft picks in the next year or two and with the current FO I have some doubts about that. I guess I just don't see Kirk as a guy who is going to be able to go all the way unless he has a dominant cast around him and I don't see us being able to build that if we're giving him 20% of our cap.

Again, considering where we were, that's a huge improvement.

Also I'm no CAP expert but I am a math expert.  The CAP for 2017 was $167m.  20% of that is $33.4m.  Nobody on here is saying to pay KC that much money AAV for a contract so I'm not sure where you got that number from.  If he were to get $1m more than Stafford, that would be $28m per year and that is 16.7%.  Additionally, the CAP is expected $174m-$178m, which would make that $28m per year be 15.7% - 16.1%.  

And in a year or two he won't even be the highest paid player, the next big contract will out do that one.  

This is also that everyone is just ASSUMING that he wants to be the highest paid quarterback in the league, which is all speculation.  We don't even know what he would accept since the Redskins haven't even made him any kind of realistic offer yet.  

EDIT:

Sorry forgot to really give my opinion.  But yes, I'd be super fine and happy if they signed him to an LTD for $28m/year with like 3 years guaranteed.  You NEED stability and continuity to do anything in this league.  There really aren't just lucky one off teams that do anything in this league.

And if it doesn't work out and he is garbage, after 3 years move on.  I'm more than willing to continue with what we're building here rather than go back into the QB carousel that we've been going through for decades.  I'm tired of it.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Great post per usual speaking with you I appreciate it

To me your pointing out how aspects of the team over the past three seasons has gotten better certainly has validity and I agree. Football is 11 on 11. It’s not a game where the best QB gets you titles

What you quoted though was missed I think. Maybe it’s the stained way that the season ended with Kirk playing his worst career game to close another season has tainted me somewhat. Maybe it’s all of the end of season crushing defeats by the Giants that lead me to believe they have him figured out which make me ask this. Whatever the case I’m wondering why we have backed into this corner and thinking that it’s Cousins or no one

So I’m asking it anyway and simply saying “maybe it works this time” doesn’t address the point I was making earlier. 

Knowing that a capable replacement is cheaper and available leaving more cap room on the table to sign another piece of the puzzle why stick with the more expensive option?

we all like Cousins and we all appreciate what he’s done here. In no way am I some sort of hater of him. I like him just fine just like you and everyone else. Liking someone doesn’t mean that they are the right puzzle piece though

What I’m saying is that the team needs more then just Cousins to take the next step so what has Kirk done that makes you believe he’s the only guy who can lift the team up to the promised land?

If he’s not the only guy to do that why not explore cheaper options? Paying Kirk 28 million this offseason is going to hurt our chances to compete in free agency. All of the other 31 teams have cap money as well.

As much as I say things like we should use the first pick on a stud franchise RB truth is you can’t draft for need alone. Doing that is a bad way to build the team. So saying what you did there and say we can use picks 1 to 4 on this or that position isn’t the way teams should draft to me

But if he is the only guy to take them further next year and you believe that can you sell me on why you feel that way? I don’t see it that way. Your right that the two sides probably aren’t open to thinking differently but from my heart I just want what’s best for the team that’s going to produce the most wins. So my ears are always open

Right on, good post man.  Appreciate you taking such a measured tone.  I know I haven't as this topic has really gotten to me after so much time feeling like I'm banging my head against the wall.  

Kirk has put up a lot of elite stats.  In other areas he's been up and down (but at least shown he can do it).  He's managed plenty of 4th quarter comebacks, rallied the team from behind, shown an ability to hit all the throws (maybe not the fade, lol), to scramble, he's been able to play it safe when needed.  

He's a competitor that takes his job very seriously, is always looking to improve, is a good teammate and very coachable.  

All of that, and more, and he's done it without a ton of support around him.  This year kind of cinched it for me - he lost the oline and weapons and still performed.  Yes, he had more clunkers than I'd like, but he also showed quite well against some top teams, and this time did it with virtually no help at all.  

Doesn't mean I think he's on par with Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and Rodgers, but you could make the argument he's not all that far off.  Honestly, I think the best argument against him is that he's lacking the mojo those guys (and some others) have.  Quite frankly, I think his humility doesn't leave enough room for the arrogance needed to have that same type confidence.  I think it probably manifests itself in other ways too - how hard he works, how he schedules his days, his dorkiness, etc.  I'm certainly not saying that to impugn the guy (I can relate and I think humility is an undervalued commodity).  

So, again, it's not much that I'm sold on Cousins as a stud of a qb, but I really want to see him given a chance with a decent team around him.  

As to to the draft bit, you're absolutely correct, we can't go into the draft that way.  I was just making the point that filling several key spots wouldn't be hard to do, especially if you're weighting need into things.  Maybe instead we wind up with a safety in the 1st, then a dlineman, OLB and .   Maybe those picks don't advance us as much in the short term, but we can still find upgrades that way.  Still believe that this roster has a good amount of talent, we just need to fill/upgrade certain positions to take that next step.  

Now, you can make the argument that other teams will improve in the draft as well.  Fair point.  However, imagine the Giants adding a  dlineman vs us taking one.  Who improves more?  If Dallas gets a 3rd round back and we do the same, who improves more?  Now I do have some concerns here.  Does our FO believe that Reed and Davis are so talented that we don't need to add anything more than a developmental TE?  Do they like Perine and Kelley enough to avoid a back in the 1st-3rd?  Do they stay pat at receiver because they love our group?  Wish I knew the answer.  If we do wind up with a few starters at some of these spots - NT, back, TE, LG, ILB and receiver (through draft and FA) - plus get our guys back healthy, I think we'll look like a much improved team next year.  We'll still have some question marks, perhaps some replacement level contributors, and probably some depth concerns... but we'd continue on the track of building through the draft around a good quarterback.  That's all I'm really asking for.  

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Laconfora talking about it today on the radio saying the Redskins letting Kirk hit FA to get a late third round 2019 pick is idiotic/lunacy -- even by Cleveland Brown standards.   He thinks they will tag him and figure things out.

He thinks there will be a trade, but where does any trade come into this? X and Non- X? I doubt anyone will trade a couple of picks or any players for (and along with) a high dollar deal. Besides, that's $34M that the KC team will just sit on for a year. Trans tag? Evidently, Jason thinks the KC team will get their best offer and maybe our FO will not match it, and he still thinks that we can get a player trade out of it. He still thinks we have a right to hold on to KC if we don't match any offer in a week. So yeah, play that game and say goodbye to a 3rd rounder.

14 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

He thinks there will be a trade, but where does any trade come into this? X and Non- X? I doubt anyone will trade a couple of picks or any players for (and along with) a high dollar deal. Besides, that's $34M that the KC team will just sit on for a year. Trans tag? Evidently, Jason thinks the KC team will get their best offer and maybe our FO will not match it, and he still thinks that we can get a player trade out of it. He still thinks we have a right to hold on to KC if we don't match any offer in a week. So yeah, play that game and say goodbye to a 3rd rounder.

I just re-listened to it.  His thought was letting him FA is "utterly ludicrous."  He goes Kirk's numbers put him in the top 7 in the last 3 years, he's a top 10 Qb.  There are no sure things in the draft.  You don't let him walk out of the building, that has to be the first step.  He wasn't saying they should trade him but if you can't work out a deal, then that's what you do.   They should put one of the tags on him.

Archived