Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Jim Vance, WRC news anchor

LadySkinsFan

Oh no!! Absolutely horrible news. If any "celebrity" death can can feel like losing a family member, it's this. He was the face of local news for literally every second of my life and I'm sure for many others on here as well. More than just that though, Jim Vance was the epitome of DC. I think if one person defined and represented this area, really this area, not the politicians that you never see outside of their safe spaces, he was it. The wit, the humor, the intelligence, the coolness and the openess; being one of the very first Black anchors in the entire country, and doing it in Chocolate City. He was truly a legend. RIP. Never forget you. 

Sad, sad day.  Great guy, great anchor.  Had overcome his personal demons in the 70s and 80s to become such a well respected part of the community.  I loved when him and George Michael would banter back and forth at the end of the 6pm news, that was required tv watching for me.  

I am 99% positive I saw that his portrait was included in the alleyway at Ben's Chili Bowl when I was there a few weeks ago.  And if not, he absolutely should be.

RIP, Jim Vance.  The measuring stick of all DC broadcasters past, present and future.

(I wrote this and shared it on Facebook when I heard the news. Wanted to share it with you all since this is a more local audience)

As a boy, Jim Vance was one of the first faces I connected with concepts like "news" and "journalism." It was not unusual for me to see faces that looked more like mine on the 6 p.m. (or if I was really feeling froggy, 11 p.m.) newscast. Perhaps that's why it didn't feel unusual for me to go into that field as a teenager and still have a foot in that field right now.

Vance had a delivery that was ideal: professional while still natural. He said what needed to be said on the air but he did it as himself.

Jim Vance is not only one of the reasons why I do what I do but he's one of the reasons why I do what I do the way I do it - because it's okay to be yourself while going about your business. In the case of the late Mr. Vance: it's part of what made him a beloved presence on WRC 4 and in Washington, D.C. for nearly 50 years.

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sad, sad day.  Great guy, great anchor.  Had overcome his personal demons in the 70s and 80s to become such a well respected part of the community.  I loved when him and George Michael would banter back and forth at the end of the 6pm news, that was required tv watching for me.  

I am 99% positive I saw that his portrait was included in the alleyway at Ben's Chili Bowl when I was there a few weeks ago.  And if not, he absolutely should be.

RIP, Jim Vance.  The measuring stick of all DC broadcasters past, present and future.

His portrait was included.  As it should have been.  He's an icon in the city. 

http://www.nbcwashington.com/entertainment/the-scene/Restaurant-Unveiled-Mural-Showcasing-14-Legends-of-DC-Music-Politics-and-Media-429727283.html

I saw him give a speech to commemorate the new mural at Ben's Chili Bowl. He was clearly very sick but he was also clearly very proud to be on that wall. I am glad he got to see himself memorialized in such a way. RIP Jim Vance.

Jim Vance was a great local news host. Delivered the news warmly, with humor, or with the gravitas it deserved. He certainly is a part of my experience in understanding how to do news gracefully. He also was willing to insert his opinions in a clear way that didn't sully the news, but enriched the conversation.

RIP.

WoW.  Honestly, there's not much more to add to what's already been said.  

Vance was indeed an icon.  And I learned to appreciate him all the more once I began to live in different locales.  We were fortunate enough to be spoiled by such top notch local reporting here in the area.  Not everyone is so fortunate.

RIP.

Archived