Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

Just curious but what does game planning for RG3 entail? Were they trying to stop his 2 carries for 3 yards that he had last week?

How many yards did he have on 2 drives today?

Just because he had 2 yards last week. Doesn't mean you don't prepare for him running. 

I am making reversible jerseys for all future QB controversy's, dammit. 

True fans support both QBs through good times and bad. In the bad, the backup always seems to get his chance. Patience, greenhorn.

Forced into a game without practice, it sure seems like Jacksonville was the perfect remedy. It was time for Cousins to do his thing, and he did great. 

All aboard the Kirk Cousins Express! 

Feel awful for Robert, he would have made all the plays today....it woulda silenced the doubters...that being said, he is hurt again, and Captn Kirk stepped up. Loved his presser, gotta get behind him now. Hope the 10 car has a speedy recovery. He still ads an element to the game not many Qbs can. Really feel bad for him, but let's go Skins, we got some birds to pluck!!!!

Kirk Cousins will be just fine. I don't grade him on 3 games from a team that was finished last season, I see a bright kid who only needs playing experience to be a damn good QB in this league. Sure DC's will have tape on Cousins, but Cousins will also have tape on that DC's Defense, and with more playing experience, he will expose the weaknesses in those Defenses. I like this kid and I am expecting good things from him.

From what I'm hearing expect Griff to be out for the year. Saddle up & get ready to ride or die with Kirk. Philly looks be some trash but maybe not the hot garbage the Giants are. Even with game planning, I think we beat Philly next week. But as the sample size on film gets bigger on Kirk look for DCs to bait & confuse him.

Is that "expect" as in "it looks like" or "expect" as in "we should be prepared for"?

@ Philly

NYG

Seattle

@Arizona

With the exception of the Giants, that's a pretty tough gauntlet the next four.

And unlike Jax, these opponents will be expecting to play him.

Good news, though? Kirk will have a week with the first team, before he walks in, too.

Still, he's gonna be measuring himself against some much larger yardsticks.

We played a poor opponent at home. That being said for the first time in forever we beat a poor opponent at home like we should of and didn't let them hang around enough to drive down at the end to beat us at the last minute like we have seen 100 times. That cannot be discredited here. As sad as I am about Griffin, I'm anxious and sort of excited to see what Cousins can do.

A lot of that had to do with Gruden and his way of thinking (ie: a younger/newer way of thinking).

Gibbs, Shanny, even Zorn to an extent (as an extension of Holmgren) all loved to bleed the clock out.

I had a lot of respect for Grudes after he went for the TD when DY got hit late.  That'll fire up your team quick.  "Oh you want to hit our guy late?  Well **** it men, lets get out there and dump on them some more". 

But I agree, lets support Cousins and see what he's got.  And lets keep microphones away from Griffin if he isn't coming back.  No need to hear from someone who isn't playing.  We should've learned that from last year.

A lot of that had to do with Gruden and his way of thinking (ie: a younger/newer way of thinking).

Gibbs, Shanny, even Zorn to an extent (as an extension of Holmgren) all loved to bleed the clock out.

I had a lot of respect for Grudes after he went for the TD when DY got hit late.  That'll fire up your team quick.  "Oh you want to hit our guy late?  Well **** it men, lets get out there and dump on them some more". 

But I agree, lets support Cousins and see what he's got.  And lets keep microphones away from Griffin if he isn't coming back.  No need to hear from someone who isn't playing.  We should've learned that from last year.

I felt like there was a "There Will Be Blood" type of feeling out there today. Unfortunately our guys were the ones getting injured, but the Jags seemed to be taking cheap shots left and right. I felt like we let them play undisciplined and just kept scoring. I loved the Redd touchdown.

I agree that the play calling was definitely a refreshing change of pace.

Am I the only one that sees a similar connection in andy dalton and Kirk cousins?

IMO, jay took a mediocre talent and made it work game after game in Cindy. I believe that Kirk has more talent than dalton does and our receiving core is possibly more deep.

I guess in my opinion it comes down to if the o-line is going to be able to provide time for #8.

I believe Cousins will continue to play well as long as he's in there. I'm in the camp of thinking his three games started last year should be viewed with an asterisk, as the team was in shambles by that time and had for all intents and purposes quit. Our defense appears to be very solid after two games and aside from two Rambo flub ups, our D hasn't given up a td. The Skins are a pretty good TEAM with a lot of depth and I expect we are going to compete at a high level the rest of the way.

UnWise Mike has a new article up saying Gruden always preferred Cousins but felt powerless to do anything but hope RG3 turned into the QB he wanted.

And that the locker room seemed bizarrely happy.

Even if this is all true... I mean, what a douche. RG3 just suffered his second bad injury in two years and Wise's first instinct was to stir the pot.

I felt like there was a "There Will Be Blood" type of feeling out there today. Unfortunately our guys were the ones getting injured, but the Jags seemed to be taking cheap shots left and right. I felt like we let them play undisciplined and just kept scoring. I loved the Redd touchdown.

We ended up kicking the field goal on the drive I was talking about, but we were throwing for the TD it just wasn't there.

Yeah, Silas was really good in mop up.  Good vision is just something you can't coach, and that cutback??? lord have mercy.

I have been one of the fans who look back to last season when evaluating how far he can take the team. This means I was not optimistic that he could win games consistently.

Today I found out why I may have been wrong- Gruden's scheme.

Kirk went 1-3 last season in Shanny's scheme. I don't know if he'll make the playoffs this season but Captain Kirk will shine under Jay Gruden... maybe brighter each year for the next 3-4 seasons. 

Archived