Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

Can people stop with the "haters" thing? It's really dumb.

I'm still pretty amazed how much of a huge shift this is for the team and the franchise, but it doesn't totally feel that way at the moment because of the win. Really weird to think about. This is an injury that could shape the way the team goes about things this season and, if things go badly, I'd estimate at least the next two seasons afterwards. Pretty crazy.

I personally do not think I will be seeing RG3 start a game for the Redskins again if Kirk plays well the rest of the season, which for me would be finishing the season at least 7-9. 6-10, maybe, but anything below 5 wins and I think you'd still have to give RG3 one more shot on the last year of his contract.

I've always been 100% in support of RG3. I wanted us to draft him and did not care about the draft pick price tag. I even drafted him in my fantasy league this year as my starter! That's real love. I've dismissed any talk of Kirk becoming the starter, except for when I linked that article about the Pats people thinking Kirk looked like the better QB at the joint practices. That being said, honestly, I hope Kirk plays excellent and he becomes our new QB. I'd be totally okay with that. I'm beginning to think RG3 just does not have it in his body to stay healthy playing in the NFL, which is so unfortunate because of how supremely talented he is as an athlete and as a QB. Some of the throws he made in 2012 were just plain gorgeous, some of the best I've seen.

It's just so frustrating to watch a guy consistently get injured like this. You can't keep waiting around for a guy to rehab an injury and come back to save the team. It isn't fair to the other guys on the team. I hope we move on from him because I don't see him lasting much longer in the NFL. So sad to say, but it's beginning to look like the harsh reality of "that athletic Heisman guy from Baylor who kept getting hurt and was picked after Andrew Luck" being RG3's legacy as an NFL player.

Eventually you just have to move on. If Kirk stinks though, then this is all moot. But these kinds of questions and discussions have to be brought up.

I think that Kirk Cousins has the tools to be a good starting quarterback in this league. He has some tough games ahead of him, but this is a little different from playing with a team which has given up and for coaches who have given up at the end of a horrible losing season. He has taken over an 0-1 team and so far, led them to 1-1.

Early reports say Griffin could be back withing 4-6 weeks. As a completely untrained non-medical professional who has hurt his ankle before this sounds absolutely improbable. He'll likely be out something more like 10 weeks, but let's just say he's back in 6 weeks.

If we have a winning record and are in a playoff chase, would we go back to the guy who is coming off an injury, or stick with the hot hand? If Cousins blows his chance, there is no question which way we should go here, but if he's been orchestrating some wins and putting up good numbers I don't think we'll be able to justify letting RG3 back on the field. This will be the Sonny vs. Billy crap all over again. If we make it to the superbowl like we did back then, I doubt we'll really care.

I think our long term questions are a little less in focus right now. I must say I'm highly concerned about committing long term to RG3, a guy who we're still waiting to see if he progressed, who has now had 3 major injuries in 5 years (ACL at Baylor, ACL 2012, Ankle 2014).

All I can think of is a guy playing Texas Hold-Em' who was dealt a K and A and bet 3/4 of his chips pre-flop. 3 other people called and the flop was 3, 4, 5. He figures..."well I'm in for so much already, I better stay in for the turn and river..." the turn is a 6 and he goes all-in just because. 3 guys still in, nobody afraid of his bluff.

Just because we sunk a bunch of money/draft picks into RG3 and have such high hopes and expectations for him, that doesn't mean we should stick with him over someone who is healthy and performing well just because we paid a lot for him a long time ago. Sometimes you have to cut your losses, and as a fan of the Washington Redskins...I hope we win our next 4 games. If we do however, it will mean that Kirk Cousins will likely take over RG3's position and we'll have to cut our losses. I feel bad cutting losses because I like RG3 a lot. Quite the difficult situation. Ultimately, we have to go with whoever delivers the best results and gives us the best chance to win.

Im not buying this its just the Jags and RG3 would have made those same plays comments. I honestly can say i think the game would have been alot closer with RG3 in there againist the Jags. I also can say that I am not sure that RG3 could have made those same plays.Listen I love RG3 and I wish him all the luck in the world.I hate it that he is hurt again.You have to give Kirk credit.. the guy came in and played a great game.

This was the first time in a long time that I got to lay back and enjoy a redskins offense that could do anything they wanted to.This was the first time in a long time that I felt safe with the redskins QB in the game today. Kirks was calm in the pocket and looked at every wr before he found the open man.He found the open man every play!!  He stayed strong in the pocket even when being blitzed he did'nt run he steped up into the pocket and threw the ball.

I seen today that this offense can be runed and executed!! I seen that our OL can keep the QB on his feet and give him time to throw the ball.I found out that the WR's can get and are open for the QB to get them the ball.Now to be honest we all know that we haven't seen that all year!! Today has me thinking that it may have been the QB that was keeping this offense from working.Think about what Kirk done today.. He ran the offense to perfection with out the two best Skins Wr's in Jackson and Garcon.Yes Garcon played but only had one or two catch's. People what Kirk done today has and did open alot of peoples eyes and they will be alot of talk on if Kirk should be our franchise QB.They said it today that this offense is perfect for him and from what I seen today I believe it.

Now if Kirk stays hot and wins some games while playing good like he did then I strongly believe that he will stay as the starting QB and probably for good.You can't take him out when RG3 comes back b/c you have to go with the the QB that will give you the best chance to win.Its going to be very interesting to see what happens.Kirk may just take this starting QB position and keep it.

While the Jags aren't world beaters by any stretch. Cousins didn't exactly get carried to a win. He consistently he made some real nice, tough throws. The players around him were good but he himself was also very good. A few plays guys were wide open, but he also delivered some beautiful balls into tight spaces and threw guys like Grant open consistently.

People may harp on the 10-21 after starting 12-12 but I think that was more just regression to the mean than anything else. Most of the elite QBs usually end up with around 65 ish % completion when throwing the ball mainly downfield in the intermediate range which is where Cousins was going most of the time. Can't expect him to stay perfect doing that.

As I've said before, Cousins can be a solid starter in this league. Will he be a star? Probably not(but hey you never know), but I think he can easily be a Flacco/Eli type where he's good enough to win and can make some real good throws to keep drives alive but also occasionally make some boneheaded throws trying to squeeze balls into tight coverage. With Cousins and the way our D/ST look improved we could be a sleeper 8-9 win team and the NFC looks pretty bad this year, that could be enough for the 2nd Wild Card.

He played well today. That said, anyone probably would've had a good game against that Jags team. Philly will be a big test and they're not gonna sit back and let Kirk pick them apart. I feel our O-line is still a problem. My other concern is that sometimes Cousins will get erratic and start throwing picks. He can't make costly mistakes like that. Hopefully he manages the games well and we'll see where this season goes. And I'll just say this, I support ALL of our QB's. The "fans" that I saw on Twitter and FB cheering when RG3 went down are an embarrassment and make me sick.

I like Griffin and hated to see him crying as he was carted off but the reality is that the best case scenario is that Kirk keeps playing well and proves he is ready to be a franchise QB. It's obvious that he runs this offense far better than Griffin. In addition, Griffin is so injury prone that you cannot sink a huge contract into him. Best of luck to him with his new team.

As I've said before, Cousins can be a solid starter in this league. Will he be a star? Probably not(but hey you never know), but I think he can easily be a Flacco/Eli type where he's good enough to win and can make some real good throws to keep drives alive but also occasionally make some boneheaded throws trying to squeeze balls into tight coverage. With Cousins and the way our D/ST look improved we could be a sleeper 8-9 win team and the NFC looks pretty bad this year, that could be enough for the 2nd Wild Card.

This is also something that is very important. Our defense has looked very good so far. They'll surely be tested next week, but at the moment this defense is good enough to be the defense of an 8-9 win-just-sneaked-into-the-playoffs team. And if Kirk makes the playoffs, then RG3 is not returning as the starter. It would be over at that point, imo.

Next game (really the whole week since we play the Giants that Thursday too, but the Eagles are clearly better) against the Eagles is huge. If we win that game with Kirk playing well, then you have to start thinking about the playoffs and things begin to get a lot more serious.

Well....I just found this:

The epitome of NSFV.  Really feel sorry for RG3.  The guy has been through so much **** going back to Baylor.  Hopefully, they don't rush him back and this isn't a repeat of 2013.  That said, the show must go on and I hope that Cousins excels in Gruden's offense which I think suits him better than RG3.

This season is really going to decide our future, I'll say that.  I'm going with the thought process that Griffin is done for the season. If Kirk doesn't play well this year, RG III gets the job back heading into both of their Year 4s. If Cousins plays decent, team goes lets say 8-8, we most certainly have a QB Competition heading into next year. If Cousins takes the team to the playoffs, he will probably be given the job. Now with both of them heading into year 4, We can only keep 1. Cousins play this season may decide who our QB of the future is

Reading some of the half-ass light claps from some of the Cousins haters out there is amusing.

We know next week Philly will be throwing every exotic defensive look they can to try and confuse Cousins, which can be expected because they're a divisional opponent and want to win just like we do. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me to see Cousins struggle against them some, afterall, this will be Cousins first week getting full reps all week, but I'm still hoping he does great, just as I would with any other Redskin QB behind center. I don't put a player as being more favorable than the team, I want to see winning just like everyone else.

But have no doubt, if he does struggle against the Eagles, we will all see the Cousins haters out in droves, saying I told you so, and its really sad to see how some are so drawn to an individual instead of a team.

Someone had to lose today, and it was the Jaguars, but how they lost was the story.  If it had been Griffin, I would have been just as happy as I am for Cousins winning, and it sure would be nice to see all of us fans actually backing the team, hoping griffin gets better, and hoping we continue to win, because that's the bottom line, winning.

But I gotta ask, only because I do not know the answer;  is Cousins familiar with Pistol and how is he/can he be running it?

He has good pocket awareness, so that is a plus; I'm sure we don't want to see him running the ball and risking injury, but would the threat of him running lined up in that formation pose a threat to defenses?

You mean like the RG III haters out in droves after one game against a Stout Texans defense?

Sure smells like Bledsoe-Brady situation here. Second game - QB gets hurt and is replaced by an All-Pro type QB named Brady.

Can this really happen to the Redskins? Sure makes your mouth water a little. No? :D

Except Bledsoe was at the end of his career and RG III's just started 

Sure smells like Bledsoe-Brady situation here. Second game - QB gets hurt and is replaced by an All-Pro type QB named Brady.

Can this really happen to the Redskins? Sure makes your mouth water a little. No? :D

Definitely. I always relish in the fact that a 24-year olds career could potentially be ending right before our eyes. Makes me feel all giddy and stuff ugh.

If Cousins tears it up for the next few weeks, Bob shouldn't get his job back. I'm sorry, you should be scared of the idea of committing 80-100 million to Bob in a year or two when you're just going to live in fear of his next injury and your highest paid player is just collecting game checks on the bench nursing something long term. This is hard for me to say because Bob is one of the most popular players we've ever had.

I love Bob and I would never put him in the Shuler category in terms of top pick QB disappointments but he'll never learn how to protect himself. As long as he's back there I'm gonna wonder if it could be his last snap, cause it's getting to that level now..

First things first.  I want to remind everyone saying "just the Jaguars" or anything along those lines that the Jaguars won four games last year.  The significance being that the Redskins, our beloved football team, won three.  3-13 teams and their fans really shouldn't be laughing off any team as being nothing special.  We could have laughed at the lowly 2-14 Texans... but they beat us already.  

As for Cousins  I think he'll turn the ball over.  Maybe a lot.  He's the kind of QB that throws the ball very early, unlike Robert who tends to hit open players.  In order for his style to work he needs to be extremely familiar with his recievers and his offense.  He's not.  He's going to make quick decisions and a few are going to go into the opponents hands.  We'll see but I don't have the highest hopes against the Eagles.  I think out best shot at having the QB issue finally solved in DC was RG3 and that is looking more and more like it isn't happening.  It's like this team is cursed or something.  

I'm left to hope that Cousins defies the odds and shines despite a tough schedule and little prep or that RG3 will magically gain the ability to stay healthy and slide around in the pocket when he finally gets healthy.  The football Gods are cruel.   

People may harp on the 10-21 after starting 12-12 but I think that was more just regression to the mean than anything else. Most of the elite QBs usually end up with around 65 ish % completion when throwing the ball mainly downfield in the intermediate range which is where Cousins was going most of the time. Can't expect him to stay perfect doing that.

If you rewatch the game and count them you'd see that most of those incompletions were drops. Cousins was on the money except for 3-4 passes.

I agree that the play calling was definitely a refreshing change of pace.

Am I the only one that sees a similar connection in andy dalton and Kirk cousins?

IMO, jay took a mediocre talent and made it work game after game in Cindy. I believe that Kirk has more talent than dalton does and our receiving core is possibly more deep.

I guess in my opinion it comes down to if the o-line is going to be able to provide time for #8.

I'm a Cousins fan, but he isn't more talented than Dalton. That's absurd.

@ Philly

NYG

Seattle

@Arizona

With the exception of the Giants, that's a pretty tough gauntlet the next four.

It is, and I do believe IF (because contrary to what some act like, no one knows either way) Kirk does well then it will be a hard sell to keep him as the backup. I love me some RGIII, and I do have my questions but I want what's best for the team (as most should).

I see Kirk's game getting blown up with a bad pre-snap read. A quick enough defense can mask their coverages and bait him into easy INT's. I do like his quick decision making, as well as how quick he gets the ball out... But against a good defense, we may be in for a long day.

I like Griffin and hated to see him crying as he was carted off but the reality is that the best case scenario is that Kirk keeps playing well and proves he is ready to be a franchise QB. It's obvious that he runs this offense far better than Griffin. In addition, Griffin is so injury prone that you cannot sink a huge contract into him. Best of luck to him with his new team.

I'm telling you, fans are going to rue the day if we let Griffin get out of DC. I have a feeling it's going to be reminiscent of Tampa giving up on Steve young. He's going to be great and I pray we don't give up on him and it happens here.

Archived