Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

Yeh that is basically what I meant. As far as physical tools go, Brady isn't off the charts compared to Cousins. Not saying that Cousins is comparable to Brady as a QB, but physically he is.

And yeh, Cousins has an NFL arm.

I would definitely say Rodgers is up there with arm strength, not Elway or Favre, but they were on another level. Rodgers is exceptional in the fact that he doesnt seem to lose velocity when off balance or on the run.

I remember watching the SB against the Broncos, and I gotta tell you, the velocity difference between Williams and Elway was unbelievable. In an ironic twist of fate, Williams goes on to set the SB Single-game passing record, wins the MVP, and goes to Disney land. 

But Elways was an incredible thrower of the football, and had just ridiculous physical talent.  Was really the prototypical QB from an athletic perspective.  I'm not sure ANYBODY has come close.  His arm strength, size, quickness and speed I think are unmatched.  

He is definitely in the conversation for GOAT, though you've got to give votes to a few other guys as well. But physically, for my money, he's the best ever. 

The good thing for Cousins is he's a middle of the road kinda guy. Whatever happens, I don't see people turning on his personality and him getting on people's nerves for one reason or another.  The discussion will just be either he can or can't play.  Not all the extra stuff that comes with Griffin.

From UnWise Mike column this morning

"The dirty little secret in Ashburn is that Coach Jay Gruden actually thought Kirk Cousins was better suited to his offense, that Robert Griffin III wasn’t getting it and there was no way to delicately make a change at any point this season without causing major problems throughout the organization. "

This is the main problem with this Franchise. HC can't even put in the player he wants to. SMH.

This is a very strange situation. When have you ever heard of a team go from having their starting QB injured who was in a developmental process, to the second stringer coming in and all of a sudden the team is ready to win right now. This is absolutely the best thing that could have happened to the Redskins for this moment in time. For this year. We will now know if Kirk can be our starter, or if not RGIII can get healthy again, come back and get his job back. There will be no second guessing who should be playing. So basically what I'm saying is if Cousins keeps the offense rolling like yesterday then even if RGIII comes back ready to roll he stays on the bench. 

"The dirty little secret in Ashburn is that Coach Jay Gruden actually thought Kirk Cousins was better suited to his offense, that [/size]Robert Griffin III wasn’t getting it and there was no way to delicately make a change at any point this season without causing major problems throughout the organization. "[/size]

This is the main problem with this Franchise. HC can't even put in the player he wants to. SMH.

there's nothing I trust out of UnWise Mike when it comes to the Redskins.

He is the single most unprofessional sportswriter I've ever seen, and he lets his personal dislike for the name get in the way of any objectivity he could have pretended to have ever had.

Gruden says this out loud, I'll believe it.

UnWise Mike says it, i assume he's trying to trip up the team.

~Bang

He is the single most unprofessional sportswriter I've ever seen, and he lets his personal dislike for the name get in the way of any objectivity he could have pretended to have ever had.

~Bang

Agreed Bang. I don't beleve anything that comes out of his mouth.

I'm sure Gruden took the job because he liked the backup QB. Now maybe he does like Cousins, but I'm not sure he likes him more than Griffin. Everyone loves to talk up Cousins, yet no one was willing to part with anything significant to get him this offseason. If he were that widely liked, you'd think a few teams would've been willing to part with a 2nd rounder to grab him.

So if Cousins has a bad game we shouldn't be critical. Wish people had this attitude when RG3 was playing.

Big difference in a 3rd year starter and a 3rd year rookie, which is essentially what Cousins is. Much more is expected from the former. I expect Cousins to have many rookie moments, just like I did with Griffin his first starting year.

Big difference in a 3rd year starter and a 3rd year rookie, which is essentially what Cousins is. Much more is expected from the former. I expect Cousins to have many rookie moments, just like I did with Griffin his first starting year.

So we going to wait 3 more years to see if Cousins can play.

Everyone forgets that it used to be that QB's were "Developed" as opposed to being thrown right into the fire.

Would you rather have a Cam Newton who took the league by storm and has been a 2nd/3rd tier QB since, or a Aaron Rodgers who sat behind Favre for so long before taking the helm and being a consistantly top tier QB?

I think we are in a pretty good QB situation either way, and can't wait to see the rats jump back on the RGIII  bandwagon the first interception that KC throws!

The QB is a key part of the passing game, the passing game is a key part of the offense.

I'm old school and believe that all told that's still only 1/3 of what it takes to win a game.

Even though the narrative from last year was all about the QB and the offense the truth of the matter the offense was the best part of the team and we still went 3-13. Meanwhile Eli and the Giants offense while much worse still won more games.

I have faith in Kirk and in the offense. We have the horses and with good play calling that mitigates the OL we should be good enough on offense to win.

But that will only bring us 1/3 of the way.

Defense and Special teams killed us last year and they will decide whether we win going forward or not.

So we going to wait 3 more years to see if Cousins can play.

There will be no patience for that. Nope, he will have to show something very quickly or he is just the

4th rounder. We gave nothing for him, so its no loss if he doesn't light the league up. Much easier to move on from him. He won't be offered that time to learn and grow unless there is no better option available.

~Bang

Coming from a RG3 fan.  When he struggles - it was due to playing a tough defense.

When Cousins comes in and blows everyone away with a great performance - they were playing a lousy team.

Cousins has zero time to prep, and he ran the offense the way it was meant to be run.  He was able to step up into the pocket, the very same one that RG3 can't seem to ever get because the offensive line is just so awful, and deliver.

I think RG3 would have had a good performance against the Jags as well.  One that would have silenced the critics.  They officials took away an obvious completion because of the way the new rule was written.  But the offense is handcuffed by what he doesn't do well.  It's also electric by how he can turn nothing into something.  I think Kirk gives the play callers a much easier time.  I'm very interested to see how they script the offense to Kirks strengths.

I dunno, there is some sarcasm that should be picked up.  When I commented that Mike Jones was reporting that (somebody, Hatcher maybe?) needed a full spine replacement, that's sarcasm that should be picked up.  And it STILL got somebody. :)

Stafford for sure.  I think when a healthy Cam Newton steps into a throw, it can leave a vapor trail. 

Rodgers also has a gun, though his gun will always be compared to Favre because they played for the same team, and he'll never win that comparison.  

Vick also threw a laser. 

I find it sad that people are still trying to make excuses for RG3.  Do you realize he's even more brittle than Sam Bradford?  Seriously.  Atleast RG3 has a better o-line than Bradford does.  RG3 (who is a mobile QB) isn't MOBILE!  He's a time bomb.

But if Cousins goes up against Denver or Seattle and gets manhandled then people will say "look Cousins sucks! told you so! bring RG3 back".

"The dirty little secret in Ashburn is that Coach Jay Gruden actually thought Kirk Cousins was better suited to his offense, that [/size]Robert Griffin III wasn’t getting it and there was no way to delicately make a change at any point this season without causing major problems throughout the organization. "[/size]

I highly doubt anyone in the organization is funneling info to Wise. His career is going down the tubes and he's alienating himself by acting like a turd towards anyone and everyone. Basically what I'm saying is if there are dirty little secrets in the organization our insiders would've known about it long before Wise.

I find it sad that people are still trying to make excuses for RG3.  Do you realize he's even more brittle than Sam Bradford?  Seriously.  Atleast RG3 has a better o-line than Bradford does.  RG3 (who is a mobile QB) isn't MOBILE!  He's a time bomb.

But if Cousins goes up against Denver or Seattle and gets manhandled then people will say "look Cousins sucks! told you so! bring RG3 back".

And yet most people came away impressed with Cousins yesterday. There's simply no need for you to bash Griffin to make your point about Kirk. We all hope Kirk plays well and I think we all hope Griffin makes a speedy recovery.

Already starting the excuses for Cousins?

No excuses, but I know the ES community who are behind RG3 no matter what will put Cousins on tightwire and any slip up at all and they'll point fingers.

Sure people have their bias, but if Cousins play poorly he will get the same criticism as RG3.

Of course I hope he's next Tom Brady, just like I hoped RG3 will return and play like Steve Young.

I think that Kirk Cousins has the tools to be a good starting quarterback in this league. He has some tough games ahead of him, but this is a little different from playing with a team which has given up and for coaches who have given up at the end of a horrible losing season. He has taken over an 0-1 team and so far, led them to 1-1.

Early reports say Griffin could be back withing 4-6 weeks. As a completely untrained non-medical professional who has hurt his ankle before this sounds absolutely improbable. He'll likely be out something more like 10 weeks, but let's just say he's back in 6 weeks.

If we have a winning record and are in a playoff chase, would we go back to the guy who is coming off an injury, or stick with the hot hand? If Cousins blows his chance, there is no question which way we should go here, but if he's been orchestrating some wins and putting up good numbers I don't think we'll be able to justify letting RG3 back on the field. This will be the Sonny vs. Billy crap all over again. If we make it to the superbowl like we did back then, I doubt we'll really care.

I think our long term questions are a little less in focus right now. I must say I'm highly concerned about committing long term to RG3, a guy who we're still waiting to see if he progressed, who has now had 3 major injuries in 5 years (ACL at Baylor, ACL 2012, Ankle 2014).

All I can think of is a guy playing Texas Hold-Em' who was dealt a K and A and bet 3/4 of his chips pre-flop. 3 other people called and the flop was 3, 4, 5. He figures..."well I'm in for so much already, I better stay in for the turn and river..." the turn is a 6 and he goes all-in just because. 3 guys still in, nobody afraid of his bluff.

Just because we sunk a bunch of money/draft picks into RG3 and have such high hopes and expectations for him, that doesn't mean we should stick with him over someone who is healthy and performing well just because we paid a lot for him a long time ago. Sometimes you have to cut your losses, and as a fan of the Washington Redskins...I hope we win our next 4 games. If we do however, it will mean that Kirk Cousins will likely take over RG3's position and we'll have to cut our losses. I feel bad cutting losses because I like RG3 a lot. Quite the difficult situation. Ultimately, we have to go with whoever delivers the best results and gives us the best chance to win.

I agree with this in every single way. I want to win. I dont give a flying **** at this point who the qb is, as long as we win. I want a winner. If it is RG3, awesome. If Kirk, awesome. Lets just win! 

I hope Griffin can come back healthy sooner rather than later. I am a huge Griffin fan and think he will be great, but if Kirk winds up being the guy, so be it. Right now, lets get behind Kirk as a fan base and show total support, the same way we should for Griffin if he comes back.

I think Cousins is going to surprise. As much as a lot of people bring up last season and going 0-3, think about it. The team was crap. The defense and special teams were atrocious. There was a flame war with Griffin and Shanahan going on. The team checked out. It is hard to judge Cousins in that sense. I think he is going to surprise (if you can all it a surprise, i think he is a starter in this league hands down) and take the Redskins on a ride this year. He just reads a defense so quickly and makes a decision and flicks the ball out with conviction. In Gruden's offense, I think he is above and beyond what Dalton is and will prove to be a great player in this league.

Honestly, what is the difference between Brady and Cousins? (not saying Cousins is Brady). Quick decisions, fiery leaders, decent arms (Brady doesnt have a cannon or anything, he just makes the right plays at the right times). The tools are there, lets hope he can put them together consistently and get the ball in the hands of all of these playmakers 

Honestly, what is the difference between Brady and Cousins? (not saying Cousins is Brady). Quick decisions, fiery leaders, decent arms (Brady doesnt have a cannon or anything, he just makes the right plays at the right times). The tools are there, lets hope he can put them together consistently and get the ball in the hands of all of these playmakers 

I don't know that KC is the fiery leader. Yes, he looks decisive with the ball and makes up his mind and goes with it quickly, but he still looks unsure of himself from the leadership standpoint. maybe with a few weeks and some wins that will change, he will take the reins and run with it and make it HIS team.

It will be an interesting season, that's for sure.

I wonder what the reaction will be if he goes out next week and hangs 30+ on the fecals, throwing for another 250 and 2 td's.

Gruden's offense so far seems to be a good fit for him

I don't know that KC is the fiery leader. Yes, he looks decisive with the ball and makes up his mind and goes with it quickly, but he still looks unsure of himself from the leadership standpoint. maybe with a few weeks and some wins that will change, he will take the reins and run with it and make it HIS team.

It will be an interesting season, that's for sure.

I wonder what the reaction will be if he goes out next week and hangs 30+ on the fecals, throwing for another 250 and 2 td's.

Gruden's offense so far seems to be a good fit for him

I think he is, just hasn't had the opportunity to really show it yet. This is his chance to show what he is going to be like as the unquestioned leader of the team. 

Do you really wonder what the reaction will be? It will be pure elation all around. No one here wants to see Cousins fail. The more he succeeds, the better position we are in all around. 

IDK why, but i have a feeling we go into Philly next week and smack the Eagles around. Just a gut feeling, one that i havent had in a long long time.

Archived