Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

This seems to be a common theme.  "He had his chance, but didn't take it."

...what does that mean?  Specifically, what is the minimum that he could have done to "take it"?

Is it winning games?  Kirk destroyed the Jaguars and then faced the following teams (keep in mind he was playing for a team that is 7-25 over the past 32 games):

1. Philly (who started 6-2, then their starting QB got injured, finished the season 4-4 with Mark Sanchez at QB) - Cousins lost by 3 points despite a missed 30 yard chipshot field goal by his kicker as well as a kick return TD allowed by special teams

2. NYG (who were up 24-7 at halftime due to defensive ineptitude similar to what we saw yesterday against Dallas)

3. Seattle (12-4 record, defending Super Bowl champions)

4. Arizona (11-5 record)

...what was he expected to do?  He had 1 stinker, 1 below average game, 1 good game, and 1 outstanding game.  Again, he's on a 4-12 team, facing 4 teams that finished a combined 37-27, with 2 of them going to the playoffs and one of them only missing the playoffs because their starting QB got hurt halfway through the season.

1. Kirk threw an untimely INT at the end of the Philly game that sealed it. 

2. He threw 4 INTs in the Giants game which guaranteed, regardless of how bad the defense was, that we had no chance of winning that game. 

3. He was decent against Seattle. 

4. He also threw 3 INTs against the Cardinals, and was on pace to do even worse than he did against the Giants. 

What was he expected to do? Not throw directly to players on the defense. Is this a serious question? He was also expected to not sulk like a little girl when he couldn't figure out how the defense kept fooling him. 

Of course that's not what i want. But you have to take risk downfield. This is the why he threw those INTs. That doesn't mean this will be a constant for the rest of his career. He just needs the reps and not a fear of always being benched when throwing the INT. Kirk's record with a competent team during his starts this year (including the Jags game) would've been 3 or 4 wins.

Kirk throws it downfield on 1st down when the defense is playing run and the coverages are simple to see and we can use a lot of play action. On 3rd and passing downs when it's on his shoulders and the defense is playing pass with extra DBs, trap coverages and blitzes Kirk averages 5 yards per attempt and had zero TDs. On 3rd and more than 9 he averaged 2 yards per attempt. TWO.

Kirk throws it downfield on 1st down when the defense is playing run and the coverages are simple to see and we can use a lot of play action. On 3rd and passing downs when it's on his shoulders and the defense is playing pass with extra DBs, trap coverages and blitzes Kirk averages 5 yards per attempt and had zero TDs. On 3rd and more than 9 he averaged 2 yards per attempt. TWO.

Mmmmm....that's good nerding.

2. He threw 4 INTs in the Giants game which guaranteed, regardless of how bad the defense was, that we had no chance of winning that game. 

4. He also threw 3 INTs against the Cardinals, and was on pace to do even worse than he did against the Giants. 

What was he expected to do? Not throw directly to players on the defense. Is this a serious question? He was also expected to not sulk like a little girl when he couldn't figure out how the defense kept fooling him. 

Well, he did not throw an untimely INT vs the Eagles. He might have missed an open Garcon. However, he kept us in the game until the very end. No other QB on our team could move the ball as well as he did. Even in the Giants game he did play well in the first half. I remember a fumble by Logan Paulsen at the Giants 20 or 30 when the game was not out of reach.

He might tend to start to panic and to force plays that are not there. But I do not blame him. He has 10 starts under his belt. How many starts did Pyeton Maning have before he fixed his INT issues? A whole season. Kirk will iron out his INT problems. There is no need to be concerned though. The Redskins will make the wrong move. As so many times before. They will trade him and he will have a good career where ever he might end up. 

I really can't believe that THIS is our QB controversy. It makes me yearn for the Brunell-Ramsey days.

Explain to me how anyone can be truly excited about any of these dudes right now. Remember that Kent Graham-Dave Brown quarterback battle in New York in the 90s?

That was better than this.

Did any of those guys ever throw for 400 yards?

He might tend to start to panic and to force plays that are not there. But I do not blame him. He has 10 starts under his belt. How many starts did Pyeton Maning have before he fixed his INT issues? A whole season. Kirk will iron out his INT problems. There is no need to be concerned though. The Redskins will make the wrong move. As so many times before. They will trade him and he will have a good career where ever he might end up. 

I'm high on Kirk..I don't know for sure that he'll iron out the INT issues, but that's certainly my hope. I also think he deserves 16-20 starts under his belt so that he has a shot. 

As I've said, I believe it's much more likely he can reduce his INTs than Griffin can suddenly go through progressions and read defenses better. 

sho-nuf ... throwing 28 INTs in his first season ought to be enough to damn him to the bench.  Oh ... wait did I say 28 INTs? ... what am I thinking!?  That's Manning ... the good one ... not Kirk.  Manning threw 28 INTs in his first 16 games.  Kirk is no where near that ... course he still has only played 14 games ... I guess he could throw a dozen or so in his next two games and be right up there with Manning.  My bad.

When comparing RG and Cousins, there are now winners, they both were dreadful. But the obvious case for bringing back Cousins is that actually had our offense perform like a competent NFL unit at times. RG never did. In fact, take away those 2 deep balls to Jackson against the Eagles and it might have been the worst stretch of QB play I've ever seen.

If you saw the Cardinals game today -- that lack of offense is what you expect from a 3rd string QB.  Cousins might not have been enough for them to win, but they would have moved the ball and it would have been a closer game.

Right now we have one of the better backup QB situations in the league - the problem is we don't have one of the 3 who has made the starters role his own or shown enough in that role to have faith they can be the answer long term. Robert has shown the most of all of them as a starter but that was a while ago now.

• 2 weeks later...

Theismann said on the sports fix today that Kirk is gone in his opinion.

Wonder what we get for him.

Kirk had his share of problems last season.  But he still has some good tape out there (Eagles and Seahawks games).  I think we could still get a 4th or 5th from a team that might miss out on one of the first two QBs and are still needy (i.e. Jets, Texans, Titans, maybe Cardinals with Palmer's injury history). 

Archived