Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

So practice is going to stop him from throwing to the other team after three years in the NFL? It's hilarious that all of the same guys trashing Robert in the RGIII thread are in here singing Kirks praises. If he was good he wouldn't have been made inactive by a coach who for all intent and purposes liked him more than the guy he chose to start over him.

Edit--- Nothing to see here

How about neither Griffin or Cousins are any good, and shouldn't be demanding anything? So we can forget this Griffin/Cousins debate and realize that neither QB will ever be really productive unless they're throwing behind the Cowboys OL. 

All he wants is a competition. Maybe he should've worded it differently, but that's in effect what he said.

Ok so let's look at 2013 and 2014 then:

2013:

Griffin - 12 INTs and 2.6% INT percentage

Cousins - 7 INTs and a 4.5% INT percentage

2014:

Griffin - 6 INTs and a 2.8% INT percentage

Cousins - 9 INTs and a 4.4% INT percentage

Those stats are cool, really.  I wonder though how many points the teams averaged with both playing.  Who scored more points?  Who threw more TDs.  I am quite sure the team with the fewest TOs doesn't always win the game, I thought it was the team that scored the most points.  KC teams avg 24 points per game, RG teams avg 17.  I will take the higher points w/TOs every time.

Ok so let's look at 2013 and 2014 then:

2013:

Griffin - 12 INTs and 2.6% INT percentage

Cousins - 7 INTs and a 4.5% INT percentage

2014:

Griffin - 6 INTs and a 2.8% INT percentage

Cousins - 9 INTs and a 4.4% INT percentage

Let's look at TDs, ratings, and even fumbles too.

2014 Cousins- 10 TDs,9 INTs, 46.8 QBR, 86.4 Rating, and 2 fumbles

2014 Griffin- 4 TDs, 6 INTs, 30.8 QBR, 86.9 Rating, and 9 fumbles

Plus, you have to factor in that Kirk doesn't dink and dunk the whole game like Robert has been doing.  Robert has been playing very conservative this year in his starts, which limit INTs, but the offense isn't very explosive.

All he wants is a competition. Maybe he should've worded it differently, but that's in effect what he said.

That's fine but let's not sit here and act like he wasn't given a golden opportunity here twice and blew it both times. The first time it was explained away because the team quit and then this season it's because he didn't get the reps. Heres something that might shock some of you "He's just not any ****ing good". There's a pretty good chance that we don't have a good QB on this roster. Why the **** is Cousins sorry ass making demands?

Go work your ass off and win the compeition than Kirk. Don't sit here and **** and moan as soon as the season is over.

THAT'S WHAT HE WANTS TO DO lol

He's just not sure if there will actually be a competition 

That's fine but let's not sit here and act like he wasn't given a golden opportunity here twice and blew it both times. The first time it was explained away because the team quit and then this season it's because he didn't get the reps. Heres something that might shock some of you "He's just not any ****ing good". There's a pretty good chance that we don't have a good QB on this roster. Why the **** is Cousins sorry ass making demands?

I mean when you look at how bad his competition played, I can understand how he feels how he feel.

"Sure, I had my struggles but those other 2 guys sure do suck as well"

What Cousins is asking for is fair..have an open competition or trade. Cousins has had relative success but projects to be a career backup. 

Same stuff, different year - Now that he has been exposed to be a high interception machine, what can we realistically get for him....maybe a 4th or worse.

He should have been traded 2 yrs ago but this FO is always late to their own funeral.

A fourth was the best that was offered last year.  No one is trading more than a 6th for him next year - guys with his talent level will be available for the asking, just as McCoy was last year.  Who would give up a pick?  Plus, its more than likely if someone does part with a sixth rounder for Kirk, they'd want him for a backup too.  No GM is going to tell their fans that they just acquired their franchise QB with a 6th rounder.

If he had even the slightest bit of common sense, he'd just wait until someone official actually stated that Robert was the starter before opening his mouth.  Now he looks like someone that will be a problem on the bench if he loses out.  Teams looking for QB help would much rather have a McCoy who will be a team player first.

Because he's a professional and loves his craft. It reads to me that he is biting at the bit to get back out there and prove himself. 

That's great. But to me, that's like an employee who got a poor performance review demanding he get a promotion next year or he's leaving. What pull do you have to demand something like that?

Just shut up and get to work.

You would have a different reaction if Robert said the same thing

Agreed 100%. If Robert said something like that, this board would be showing up in Ashburn with torches and pitchforks.

Your eloquence exceeded anything I could have expressed.

You would have a different reaction if Robert said the same thing

No I wouldn't. I'm sure RG3 would do the same the thing. In fact, I'm sure of it because he works hard in the offseason with teammates and his QB coach.

Also, I had no issue with him talking in the 2013 offseason unlike everyone else because dude just wanted to play...this is always why I don't buy the injury excuse for his performance that year but that's irrelevant 

Unfortunately, he just sucks but I love his attitude

Mike Jones@MikeJonesWaPo 16m16 minutes ago

So we're clear, Kirk Cousins never demanded a trade. Stance the same it's been since last Jan. Said today he wants chance to compete.

Go read Diana's first tweet where she asked Kirk if she could report it.

No I wouldn't. I'm sure RG3 would do the same the thing. In fact, I'm sure of it because he works hard in the offseason with teammates and his QB coach.

Also, I had no issue with him talking in the 2013 offseason unlike everyone else because dude just wanted to play...this is always why I don't buy the injury excuse for his performance that year but that's irrelevant

Unfortunately, he just sucks but I love his attitude

There's a pretty good chance they all just suck. None of them should be demanding anything.

I think Kirk gets an unfair rep from some...couple of meltdown moments leading to multiple INT games, the 4 against the Giants being a good example. Plus some of those INTs racked up in games in late relief and not as a starter.

I don't think overall he's no better or worse than the other 2 QB's we have. I'd be happy if he stuck around and got the chance to compete.

I think Kirk gets an unfair rep from some...couple of meltdown moments leading to multiple INT games, the 4 against the Giants being a good example. Plus some of those INTs racked up in games in late relief and not as a starter.

I don't think overall he's no better or worse than the other 2 QB's we have. I'd be happy if he stuck around and got the chance to compete.

UK - he looks and acts so defeated when he gets  hit with adversity, its hard to say anything said about him is unfair. 

that being said, if we let Robert go and went with Kirk, I would be real bummed out, but optimistic, cause I think Kirk just might have what it takes, despite his meltdowns. 

Why wouldn't we have a competition?  Why would Kirk Cousins back down from saying that?  It shows passion.  

I mean none of these guys have secured anything so why not go for a "I am all in for a competition" showdown?  He has to know McCoy is thinking that way. 

Hell if there is a QB available in the 6th round pick him up and throw him into the competition.  

Lets have a real competition.  None of this guys have earned squat.

There needs to be competition. No one took control of the job.  All he wants is a chance to beat out check down Bob. I have no problem with that after watching Griffin's performance this year. All Redskin fans should want a QB competition and we should all want the best guy playing QB.

Wish that Cousins would show the type of confidence he apparently has when going through in game struggles.  If he had shown the ability to fight through adversity instead of staring into space with a forlorn look then things could have gone vastly different for his this season.  Still think Cousins has the chance to be a solid NFL starting quarterback if he can overcome his mental hurdles but it's doubtful he will get another sustained chance with the Skins.

Some need to keep in mind though that the level of expectations for Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy should be drastically lower than for RG III.  Far too many try to put those 3 on equal footing when evaluating performance and creating expectations.

Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th round to be RG III's backup and likely trade bait in the future.  

Colt McCoy was signed as a 3rd QB with zero expectation of starting any games for this team.

RG III was obtained after giving away multiple 1st round picks.  Despite the numerous other holes on the roster this organization decided to swing for the fences and take the chance that they were about to acquire a franchise changing QB who would helm a successful team for the next decade plus.

Shows how poorly this has turned out that there is even a discussion about other quarterbacks as a valid option considering that the Skins mortgaged the future to acquire RG III and need him to be an elite long-term QB for the move to have any chance of being deemed successful in the end...

Archived