Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

I really can't believe that THIS is our QB controversy. It makes me yearn for the Brunell-Ramsey days.

Explain to me how anyone can be truly excited about any of these dudes right now. Remember that Kent Graham-Dave Brown quarterback battle in New York in the 90s?

That was better than this.

Well when you have people thinking we have the next Manning on our team because, well, you know he had an int. problem as well early in his career...how can you not get excited...

I really can't believe that THIS is our QB controversy. It makes me yearn for the Brunell-Ramsey days.

Explain to me how anyone can be truly excited about any of these dudes right now. Remember that Kent Graham-Dave Brown quarterback battle in New York in the 90s?

i disagree, the rex/beck arguments were 10x funnier.

remember people thought beck was the next kurt warner.  and they werent trying to be funny either.

I think 40% of the posters here only watch Redskins games.  So when Cousins/McCoy/RG3 throws a TD, it's an impressive football play that the NFL is ignoring.  

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 6 TD's in a game this season.  Six!!  If any of our QBs did that 1) this board would explode, and 2) that QB would have a pinned "Let's start him for the rest of the season" thread for the next 3 years.  

I think 40% of the posters here only watch Redskins games.  So when Cousins/McCoy/RG3 throws a TD, it's an impressive football play that the NFL is ignoring.  

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 6 TD's in a game this season.  Six!!  If any of our QBs did that 1) this board would explode, and 2) that QB would have a pinned "Let's start him for the rest of the season" thread for the next 3 years.  

I'm still amazed that Ryan Fitzpatrick has never been a Skins QB.

How is that possible?

How is that possible?

There's always next year!

i disagree, the rex/beck arguments were 10x funnier.

remember people thought beck was the next kurt warner.  and they werent trying to be funny either.

I agree. How anyone found anything positive to argue about Rex/Beck was impressive, yet sad at the same time.

How is that possible?

Funny aside...a couple years ago I got an Xbox and one game (Madden) for Christmas. Before I got sick of playing video games (I'm old), I played a season with the Redskins and it simulated off-season moves for me. The QB that we signed was Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Why can't you believe it?  Look at the advanced stats thread and see for yourself who seems to have the potential to be an actual QB.

So the explanation for you is: look at advanced stats.

What statistics measure a mans heart and he is desire to improve? What statistics show a good leader?

How about receivers... were they not thrown to because they could not get open, because the QB favored a different target, or because he was double teamed. Show me the stat for how well a Corner back swivels his hips to turn and run. 

I could go on and on. And if I cared enough to put in the research time I'll bet I could show any number of players who's stats said they would be great in the NFL and flopped. 

Bottom line. Coaches have a TON of stats that they look at. But putting up big numbers in college or in the combine does not guarantee NFL success.

I'm sure you think you have some brilliant insight but if you put your ego aside you will realize that you aren't the first to think along these lines. Coaches and GMs have been trying to use stats for a long time. But the reality is that stats have limitations, and they are not the magic bullet you think they are.

I agree about the stats.  In sports like baseball, tennis, or golf stats have much more relevance than a sport like football.  While they have their place, they need a lot of context.

Cousins compiled better stats than the rest of them, but didn't sniff the field after being benched and wasn't even active until McCoy got hurt.  My thought is that there's something behind the Kirk stats that was worse than the other 2 guys' lesser stats.  Maybe Kirk is just a basket case when he's doing poorly.  We have no way of knowing, but there was something that kept him inactive after being benched, despite his "superior statistics."

That being said, if he proves to be the best QB option next year, I'll be rooting for him.

You guys are hilarious.  I've been wondering why all the bickering myself and what's really funny is people thinking we are still capable of getting a 2nd round pick for Cousins or RG3 "developing" into a pocket passer.

I still think Colt Brennan deserves a shot. 

I'm thinking your joking about Colt Brennan.  That being said, he has some sort of brain injury and has pretty much retired.  He had a tryout with the L.A. Kiss in the AFL and the brain injury was discovered or something like that.   He had a good interview with Cooley yesterday. 

I'm thinking your joking about Colt Brennan.  That being said, he has some sort of brain injury and has pretty much retired.  He had a tryout with the L.A. Kiss in the AFL and the brain injury was discovered or something like that.   He had a good interview with Cooley yesterday. 

Sorry to hear that.  Well, there goes that idea.  Now, we're officially screwed. 

27 completions for 336 yards. That's not possible.

Yes it is, not 1 throw traveled in air more than 5 yards downfield. the yards came off of screens which were turned into big gains. Yes, QB gets credit for yards, but reality is it was a short pass with big plays by WR.

I still believe John Beck could save this franchise. The next time there is a guaranteed franchise QB who will be coming out after the season, sign Beck and start him every game. Boom! First overall baby!

Nope. We'll end up winning some meaningless late season game and instead of having a top 2-3 pick, we'll end up with #6 and have to trade a bunch of 1sts.

I think Kirk is the best QB on the roster all things considered.  Understand about the INTs but remembering Peyton Manning's first season (their INT vs TD are similar).  Prefer a QB who puts points on the board as opposed to one who is too conservative with the ball.  Posted this in another thread ...

Points per Game*

Cousins:  24.37

McCoy:  17.03

Griffin:  15.39

Cummulative Points Above or Below Competitions' Defense Avg Points per Game (+/-)*

Cousins:  +1.86

McCoy:  -7.04

Griffin:  -7.34

Points Above or Below Competitions' Defense Avg Points against per Game by Ranking (+/-)*

#1 SEA:  Cousins +1.1

#5 ARI:  Cousins +1.3

#7 HOU:  Griffin -13.2

#10 SF:  Griffin -8.3

#11 MIN:  Griffin +4.6

#15 DAL: Griffin -7

#15 DAL:  McCoy -5

#16 STL:  McCoy -22.1 (Griffin a few snaps 0 pts)

#19 IND:  McCoy +3.9

#22 NYG:  Griffin/McCoy:  -12

#22 NYG:  Cousins -9

#22 PHI:  Cousins +19

#22 PHI:  Griffin +2

#25 TB:  Griffin -18.6

#26 JAX:  Cousins +17.2 (Griffin a few snaps 0 pts)

#29 TEN:  Cousins/McCoy -7.4

* Note for Points per game calculations when percent of game played <100%

- JAX:  11/12 Cousins; 1/12 Griffin

- TEN:  1/2 Cousins; 1/2 McCoy

- STL:  19/20 McCoy; 1/20 Griffin

- NYG: 3/4 Griffin; 1/4 McCoy

I have mentioned multiple times that while, yes, Cousins has been an int machine, he has also been a TD machine.  Not just that, he also didn't take many sacks.  

Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt (takes into account sacks as well as ints, not to mentioned TD's).  

Cousins: 6.77 ANY/A (13/34)

McCoy:6.10 ANY/A (20/34)

RG3:4.93 ANY/A (31/34)

ESPN QBR:  

Cousins:46.8 (23rd)

McCoy: 46.1 (23rd)

RG3:28.2 (29th)

(One issue with QBR is that it doesn't take into account strength of schedule, because if you look at the defenses Kirk faced, he played the best for us by a mile).

Football Outsiders DVOA:

Cousins ranked 14/43 QB's

McCoy: 30th

RG3: 41st

These stats are from the "Advanced Stats" thread.

Have you taken a look at the advanced stats broken down by half and down and distance? Interesting reading ...

That's the thing with stats you have to really break them down and ask the right questions to get anything from them - overall numbers can give a very different impression from isolating numbers which reflect performance in key situations which Impact games. 3rd down conversions for example.

I kept calling Beck "Jeff Beck" and it wasn't a joke. I just became my dad every time I talked about him.

My dad could out-dad your dad any day.  The Hall of Fame Cowboys quarterback was Roger Starbucks.  The singer of "Take Me Home Country Road" was Bob Colorado.  He thought Pink Floyd was some guy named Pink Floyd. 

Archived