Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

I agree, which is why I'm not at all sure why anyone, anywhere, is reaching the conclusion that Cousins is better than RG3.

As for Aikman, his first 200+ throws all came during his rookie season. Contrary to conventional wisdom, if a QB's "200th"+ throw occurs during his 3rd year in the league it's most likely going to be far more successful than if it's during his 6th game of his rookie season. Cousins right now has the advantage of three offseasons under his belt that Aikman didn't have during his first 200+ throws. You can start to get a feel for the player after they've gone through 3 offseason programs and 3 offseasons worth of reps, practice, preseason games and film study. Right now, Cousins hasn't give any indication that he could turn into another Aikman, Brady, etc...I think, right now, giving him a ceiling of Dalton or Hasselbeck is pretty accurate.

Yup ... pretty much a subjective game at this time ... I'd like to hope better than Dalton or Hasselbeck but I also hope for Superbowl wins.

We played a poor opponent at home. That being said for the first time in forever we beat a poor opponent at home like we should of and didn't let them hang around enough to drive down at the end to beat us at the last minute like we have seen 100 times. That cannot be discredited here. As sad as I am about Griffin, I'm anxious and sort of excited to see what Cousins can do.

here's the thing: the skins have been notorious for losing to bad teams and playing very well against the better teams... the upcoming schedule doesn't scare me... i welcome it actually... think about the skins winning a bunch of these games and how everything will change if they beat some of the better teams and NFCE foes.... BRING IT ON!

Pretty well - a handful of passes from last year were just that and you can also ask Garcon if he should have caught that ball that couldn't have been placed any better yesterday.

Those weren't exactly deep balls though. It's hard to blow the top off a defense at 35 yards downfield. I'm sure I've seen Cousins do better, the Garçon pass against Atl last year if I recall correctly, but it is a limitation in his game at this point

I'm an RG3 apologist, but I'm confident Kirk will get the job done.

Two things about Kirk:

1)  I really like the way he operates the bootleg game....definitely better then Robert.

2)  Kirk has started two games that matter...Browns & Jags...he's played great in both games......completely unfair to judge him on the 3 games he started last year...he played pretty well against the Falcons...decent against the Cowboys....played in a rain storm against the Giants.....only had one good receiving option.

It's not at all "unfair" to use last year's games to judge where he's at as a QB. That's ludicrous.

You said this:

YOU: "...if you want to take KC's true numbers then take them when he's not being sent in when the game is already out of reach (Denver, Atl, Seattle, KC)"

I pointed out that there was NEVER a game agaisnt Atlanta where Cousins was sent in when it was "out of reach".

Either that's true or it's not.

That's why I included the below in my response to your which Atl game question.

'I'm not including games where he made a temporary or relief appearance.' -- so a quarter, to me, would fit into that category.

Those weren't exactly deep balls though. It's hard to blow the top off a defense at 35 yards downfield. I'm sure I've seen Cousins do better, the Garçon pass against Atl last year if I recall correctly, but it is a limitation in his game at this point

True - I feel like things are a lot more open in the middle so there hasn't been a need to throw way downfield if the guy isn't wide open.  There have been limited opportunities and you don't want to take a shot unless the guys wide open if you can still complete a 20 yarder.

Does RG3? Outside of the DJax pass yesterday, I don't recall many, if any, more

Hankerson - Rams TD, Robinson Dallas TD, Robinson Eagles TD, Moss Eagles TD, Robinson Lions Drop TD, Robinson Bears TD, Roberts Browns preseason game, DJax Jags.

Griffin has thrown the ball 50+ in the air with great success. He has a cannon and very good deep ball accuracy.

True - I feel like things are a lot more open in the middle so there hasn't been a need to throw way downfield if the guy isn't wide open. There have been limited opportunities and you don't want to take a shot unless the guys wide open if you can still complete a 20 yarder.

True, and I'm hoping it won't be a problem as long as we can work it down the field. We just need to be able to take shots from time to time, especially with burners like Roberts and DJax. But it's not like Cousins is noodle arm Pennington

Califan-RE:Kirk deep ball

From a physical point he's decent. But it's not his strength. Kirk skillset is very similar to Dalton. Good release, plays within the scheme, best on short and intermediate throws. He's like a Dalton-lite.

At today's presser, Gruden said as much re: Kirk's game being short and intermediate.

Yep, and not only that, DCs will notice if Cousins tends to overthrow or underthrow when the WR isn't wide open, and plan accordingly (or whatever tendencies Cousins may have). Whatever fans may think, I'm positive opposing defenses respected Griffin's deep ball and saw a Griffin/Jackson combo as scary.

From a physical point he's decent. But it's not his strength. Kirk skillset is very similar to Dalton. Good release, plays within the scheme, best on short and intermediate throws. He's like a Dalton-lite.

Thank you for not taking my question as some sort of indirect dig at Cousins lol...(and for the actual info)

Hankerson - Rams TD, Robinson Dallas TD, Robinson Eagles TD, Moss Eagles TD, Robinson Lions Drop TD, Robinson Bears TD, Roberts Browns preseason game, DJax Jags.

Griffin has thrown the ball 50+ in the air with great success. He has a cannon and very good deep ball accuracy.

I didn't recall that many where he dropped them in where the receiver wasn't wide open.  I feel like most deep passes are with guys running free.  Or the receiver making a play but a couple of the ones listed fit into the category that Cali referenced. 

What's funny is the back up phenomenon.

Everyone loves the back up, but the moment he becomes the starter than the starter starts getting some love and the back up's love is blended with criticism.

I've always felt that the Redskins (that includes the team and us) are a family.  We are brothers and sisters, but for the next several weeks we're all cousins too.

I actually think his ceiling is Andy Dalton with slightly better physical tools. He definitely has a better arm. The QBs polled in that ESPN article today said the same thing so I can't be totally wrong as usual.

Also, he may not have the arm RG3 has, but he's far more aggressive in the passing game. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. Would not be shocked to see him throw for a ton of this year and a good amount of picks. Won't be boring.

I actually think his ceiling is Andy Dalton with slightly better physical tools. He definitely has a better arm. The QBs polled in that ESPN article today said the same thing so I can't be totally wrong as usual.

I think his ceiling is Joe Theismann and maybe that's why Joey T. was gushing over during the preseason.  I think he sees it too.  Cousins is pretty mobile like Joe was (not a Kaepernick, but not a Manning either), has a good, but not great arm, seems to have good command of the huddle and the field.  The danger is that Cousins also has a bit of Brett Farve/Rex Grossman in him.  He wants to be that playmaker and zip it in there, but doesn't have Farve's arm and so can't get away with it as often.

I think his ceiling is Joe Theismann and maybe that's why Joey T. was gushing over during the preseason.  I think he sees it too.  Cousins is pretty mobile like Joe was, has a good, but not great arm, seems to have good command of the huddle and the field.  The danger is that Cousins also has a bit of Brett Farve/Rex Grossman in him.  He wants to be that playmaker and zip it in there, but doesn't have Farve's arm and so can't get away with it as often.

Yep. But to be fair to KC, he really hasn't played that much. As much as I love RG3, it's not like he is the only QB who will get better with experience. 

What's funny is the back up phenomenon.

Everyone loves the back up, but the moment he becomes the starter than the starter starts getting some love and the back up's love is blended with criticism.

I've always felt that the Redskins (that includes the team and us) are a family.  We are brothers and sisters, but for the next several weeks we're all cousins too.

wouldnt cousins be a type of family member? so we are still a family :P

i know, i know...horrible joke.

Yep. But to be fair to KC, he really hasn't played that much. As much as I love RG3, it's not like he is the only QB who will get better with experience. 

Absolutely.  Cousins has room to grow.  Better yet, I think this is a teaching coaching staff and we are already seeing it with some players.  Orakpo has gained a second move, Paul has learned to catch, etc.  For too many years a player was what he was and we'd see very little improvement.  It could be a mirage, but I see players improving under these coaches and that bodes well now and more importantly for the future (knocks on wood)

I'm an RG3 apologist, but I'm confident Kirk will get the job done.

Two things about Kirk:

1)  I really like the way he operates the bootleg game....definitely better then Robert.

2)  Kirk has started two games that matter...Browns & Jags...he's played great in both games......completely unfair to judge him on the 3 games he started last year...he played pretty well against the Falcons...decent against the Cowboys....played in a rain storm against the Giants.....only had one good receiving option.

I am a team first guy, but I also think that Robert is a better QB than Kirk.  My current hope is that in 5 - 8 weeks, we have a full blown QB controversy.  That can only happen if we are winning games.

However, 1 thing I have noticed before and noticed yesterday is that Robert has better ball placement.  Kirk was getting the ball to the WRs, but Robert seems to lead them a little better.  This may go away as Kirk plays more with the 1s, or it may not.  If it doesn't than it may only cost us some YAC, but it could also set a WR up for a big hit.....

HTTR!!!

funny reading how people say Griffin would have done X and if we let him go we will regret it.  Other than his rookie year, what has he shown to make people think that he is a great QB ?

Great QB's stand in the pocket and take a hit to complete the pass, not duck and dash.

Archived