Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

Its heartbreaking, but if Cousins plays well I don't think you can automatically give RG3 the job back when he returns.

If its 4-5 weeks, which was the most optimistic timeline I've seen then maybe RG3 gets the start immediately.

Otherwise I think Kirk is in command the rest of the season and there's and open competition next year.

I hate to say it but I am worried that RG3's career will be summed up as one magical season in 2012 that ended in heartbreak. I hate it. Such a great guy with such high aspirations.

In which case, you have to blame Shanahan for leaving him in against Seattle when the whole world was yelling at the TV to take him out (and possibly preserve his leg.)  Instead, we're far away from where we want to be and instead of this being a "freak" accident now it's an injury history.

The most important thing is that we set ourselves to be in first place in the division after next week regardless of what Philly does tomorrow night. That is huge. 

There are things that RGIII is better at than Cousins. There are things that, at least right now, Cousins is better at than RGIII. Gruden has clearly shown in Cincinnati and now here that he can cater to different quarterbacks. Personally I think Cousins has at least as good a skill set as Dalton just a slightly weaker arm. I think catering to Cousins should actually be much more familiar to Jay Gruden and I would not be surprised to see this offense continue to roll. I think this year is going to be an exciting ride. Cousins' biggest problem is that he seems to throw a "wild pitch" every so often. I think he makes very good decisions and reads the defense/progresses through his reads very well. But sometimes he'll throw to the right receiver but just have a ball that is way off. He had a series like that today but fortunately the balls were nowhere near defenders. But he played extremely well today and hopefully he can keep that going. I'm pumped for next week. 

Today was a mix of a good game plan already set up for a bad defense, and a unprepared Cousins being better than an unprepared Jaguars. Griffin was looking like his 2012 self prior to the injury as well, explosive in the run game while also making some very nice passes. I think it's a credit to Cousins that he came in without missing a beat, but I also don't think it would've been much different of a result if Griffin had remained healthy.

Realistic thought for the season:

Kirk is a good QB that's a capable starter in this league who's going to have a number of very good offensive weapons around him and a coach that knows how to call a good game plan for a player of his type and talent. We have a pretty good year and possibly challenge for the division due to how poor it is. He ends up looking good, not great. Essentially, Andy Dalton in Cinci.

Griffin rehabs mostly during the season leading to a more normal off season comparative to the year before. We go into training camp next year with a bit of an open competition, with Griffin being the favorite if Cousin looks good and we miss the playoffs and Cousins possibly being the favorite if we make the playoffs or Cousins looks great. If Cousin ends up just looking a bit above average over the course of the whole season and we miss the playoffs then we go into the off season with Griffin simply assumed to be coming back as the starter.

Wishful Thought for the Season:

Cousins looks more Tom Brady / Kurt Warner this year than he looks Andy Dalton, and we actually make a deep playoff run. Griffin rehabs and seems to bounce back without much of an issue, while taking advantage of the year on the sideline learning the Gruden offense.

They go into camp with a competition and both are tearing is up and look great. At the same time, a young QB we take somewhat early in the draft looks extremely solid as well. The Front Office trusts that Griffin's injury problem is more flukey than symptomatic (IE more Stafford than Bradford) and go with him, able to flip Cousins coming off a great year for a 1st and 3rd. Griffin remains rather healthy moving forward, and the new young QB becomes the new "Cousins" as the injury insurance policy. We take those 1st and 3rd the next year, draft some play makers, and win 4 straight Super Bowls

I did say it was Wishful ;)

RG3 is the starter for the Washington Redskins. However, it is hard to forget how easy it is for a starter to lose his spot after an injury.

I'll say it now and hope it bears repeating in December: If Kirk leads the Skins to the playoffs RG3 is done in Washington. See the career of Bledsoe for examples: Injuries launched the careers of Brady and Romo.

This is where the business side of the game sucks. Robert reignited a fire in D.C. in '12, but since his growing pains have been... frustrating. This is a 'right now' business... and Robert, due a contract next offseason, Kirk due a new contract next offseason, Rak due a contract now, Trent probably needing to be locked up soon, and AlMo due a new contract after next offseason... notbto mention the flurry of new OLine and Safety signings sure to be coming...it's not good news for RG3 in Washington.

I hooe there's a miraculous recovery and story coming for Robert. My money is on one of the QBs being in new duds next year.

I only mention this because RG3 got slammed for his yards per attempt last week.......well check out Cousins vs Jacksonville. 

I completely understand the turnovers last week, lack of running last week, run effectiveness and TD passes this week by Cousins, but food for thought.

I do appreciate having Cousins on his roster and hope RG3 a speedy recovery, I'm just trying to keep everything in perspective. 

HTTR

post-116452-0-70381300-1410747902_thumb.jpg

In my mind, I think Robert doesn't play for the remainder of this season, which has my mind on next season and off-season.

Like GHH first said above, we will now definitively answer the KC question.

I think the next Q we will bicker about then is who gets the 2nd contract, and who does not. Both guys enter the final years of their rookie deals next year, but I believe Robert has a team-option for a 5th year since he was a 1st rounder.

As an ardent RG3 fan I will not be a Landon Donovan and root for a Cousins mishap at any time. The division is there for the taking. Still, it's very sad to contemplate the real possibility that Robert just started his last game for the Redskins.

Reading some of the half-ass light claps from some of the Cousins haters out there is amusing.

We know next week Philly will be throwing every exotic defensive look they can to try and confuse Cousins, which can be expected because they're a divisional opponent and want to win just like we do. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me to see Cousins struggle against them some, afterall, this will be Cousins first week getting full reps all week, but I'm still hoping he does great, just as I would with any other Redskin QB behind center. I don't put a player as being more favorable than the team, I want to see winning just like everyone else.

But have no doubt, if he does struggle against the Eagles, we will all see the Cousins haters out in droves, saying I told you so, and its really sad to see how some are so drawn to an individual instead of a team.

Someone had to lose today, and it was the Jaguars, but how they lost was the story.  If it had been Griffin, I would have been just as happy as I am for Cousins winning, and it sure would be nice to see all of us fans actually backing the team, hoping griffin gets better, and hoping we continue to win, because that's the bottom line, winning.

But I gotta ask, only because I do not know the answer;  is Cousins familiar with Pistol and how is he/can he be running it?

He has good pocket awareness, so that is a plus; I'm sure we don't want to see him running the ball and risking injury, but would the threat of him running lined up in that formation pose a threat to defenses?

UnWise Mike has a new article up saying Gruden always preferred Cousins but felt powerless to do anything but hope RG3 turned into the QB he wanted.

And that the locker room seemed bizarrely happy.

Even if this is all true... I mean, what a douche. RG3 just suffered his second bad injury in two years and Wise's first instinct was to stir the pot.

Gruden didn't seem to be phased during the press conference.  Usually when you lose your starting QB the coaches look nauseous during the postgame pressers, Jay was laughing at times.

I've been one of the biggest supporters of RG3, through all the bad times and good times. I've been a diehard Redskins fan since I was 7 years old (23 years) and I have always supported them through the good and bad times (which have been mostly bad). I followed Griffin back in college his sophomore year at Baylor and immediately like him. When the Redskins drafted him I couldn't have been more happier as a Redskins fan, disregarding the Superbowl win and playoff appearances before. My favorite college player going to my favorite team.

However, first and foremost I'm a Redskins fan and I want what's best for the team. A dislocated ankle is going to sideline him for at least 2 months. We don't want to rush him back again for a 2nd time. If there was ever a time for Cousins to prove he belongs as a starter in this league, then it is NOW. I know some will say it was just the Jaguars, but you can't take away from his performance. I'm rooting for Cousins just as much as I would for RG3. These next few weeks will be very telling, but I fully believe he can lead us to a division title race. I'm not saying we will win the division, but I think we will definitely compete.

If Cousins can lead us to the playoffs or put up impressive numbers, then our front office will have some tough decisions to make going into next season. They are both under contract for another season but believe me they will not want the QB controversy going into next season. If Cousins plays well, then one of them will be let go or traded. That will ultimately be Allen and Snyder's decision. If all plays out to what us Redskins fans want to see this season, then I would not want to be in their shoes.

Reading some of the half-ass light claps from some of the Cousins haters out there is amusing.

We know next week Philly will be throwing every exotic defensive look they can to try and confuse Cousins, which can be expected because they're a divisional opponent and want to win just like we do. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me to see Cousins struggle against them some, afterall, this will be Cousins first week getting full reps all week, but I'm still hoping he does great, just as I would with any other Redskin QB behind center. I don't put a player as being more favorable than the team, I want to see winning just like everyone else.

But have no doubt, if he does struggle against the Eagles, we will all see the Cousins haters out in droves, saying I told you so, and its really sad to see how some are so drawn to an individual instead of a team.

Someone had to lose today, and it was the Jaguars, but how they lost was the story. If it had been Griffin, I would have been just as happy as I am for Cousins winning, and it sure would be nice to see all of us fans actually backing the team, hoping griffin gets better, and hoping we continue to win, because that's the bottom line, winning.

But I gotta ask, only because I do not know the answer; is Cousins familiar with Pistol and how is he/can he be running it?

He has good pocket awareness, so that is a plus; I'm sure we don't want to see him running the ball and risking injury, but would the threat of him running lined up in that formation pose a threat to defenses?

2 quick things:

1) he lined up in the pistol formation several times today. But he didn't run any read option plays out of it. Gruden said it would still be in the game plan, but he wouldn't be as effective running it. Said that with a big smile, as if to indicate "obviously..."

2) I really don't think there are many Cousins haters out there. I think there are a lot of Griffin haters, and that some of the folks who support Griffin go a little far in defending him by tearing down Kirk. Most of what I've read about Kirk on the board is that folks think he's ok to good and has a "good" ceiling. And hasn't done anything yet to justify the undying love some give him.

I think he could be a guy in the Chad Pennington mold. Smart guy, can play real well, a little physically limited. I'd like to be wrong. But there are some questions about his arm strength.

Griffin, on the other hand, if he still has his speed, has a much higher ceiling. But availability and durability now have to be a concern.

Archived