Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Trent Murphy (OLB Stanford)

PCS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131105/trent-murphy-stanford-cardinal/

Murphy plays with a deadly serious scowl wedged between his bald head and lightly grown beard. His expression doesn't change until after the final whistle -- and sometimes not even then. Fellow fifth-year Stanford linebacker and Butkus Award semifinalist Shayne Skov is a more recognizable player nationally, but head coach David Shaw didn't hesitate earlier this season when asked to name his team's "nastiest" defender.

"Trent's in his own category," said Shaw, "because there's really no off switch. It's just always on."

Added senior linebacker A.J. Tarpley this week: "[Murphy is] no different on the field than off the field. He's an aggressive guy. He's got that badass mentality. He's not mean in the sense that he's going to wrong you, but I wouldn't want to be on his bad side."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/05/11/redskins-draft-jay-gruden-on-his-teams-selections/

“We saw in Trent Murphy another guy that can rush a passer. He’s a proven pass rusher – 14-and-a-half sacks this year. He led the country in sacks. He works his tail off. He’s first on the field every day and the last to leave. He studies the game. He’s big, he’s long. He may not have the explosion right now off the line of scrimmage, which might have knocked him down to the second round, but I look for production, I look for intensity, I look for toughness and accountability. He’s got all those traits and if he has all those traits, I know he is going to work hard in the weight room to get stronger and provide another pass rusher and some depth at the position. We felt like he was a very good fit for our team.”

Welcome to the Redskins Mr. Murphy, though not entirely satisfied with where you were taken, I have high hopes for you on the Redskins!!!

As far as bashing "armchair GM's" for "thinking they know better than our highly paid...yadda, yadda," I think it would be remiss to neglect how spot on our highly paid "experts" have been over the years; let me count the ways:

1) Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly

2) Josh LeRibust

3) Jason Campbell

4) Lavar Arrington

5) Taylor Jacobs

6) Orakpo? (1st rd pick we are replacing with Murphy, right?)

7) Danny Weurfull

8) Heath Shuler

9) Bacari Rambo

10) Phillip Thomas? (Too soon?)

11) Perry Riley? (Make or break year, no?)

12) Keenan Robinson (see: 11)

13) Rod Gardner

14) Sage Rosenfels

15) Patrick Ramsey

16) Rashaud Bauman

17) Cliff Russell - (our best pick in the entire '02 Draft outside of Ladell Betts may have been 7th rounder Rock Cartwright)

18) Chad Rinehart

19) Kevin Barnes

20) Jeremy Jarmon...(wasted)2009 3rd Rd supplemental pick

21) Leonard Hankerson?

22) Jervis Jenkins? (Whom I like...but slants to the bust side of the scale at this juncture)

If you want to give some slight credit to the last regime for not completely tanking on early to mid round picks, then fine. But also note they are no longer here.

The unflinching reality is that this organization deserves no benefit of any doubt when it comes to making questionable picks.

I.e. If SF, or Sea, or Pitt, or Baltimore make a head scratcher of a pick (which is next to never...but for the sake of argument) in the earlier rounds, experts/analysts, & fans alike, go: "well, they've earned the right to give the benefit of the doubt." You might even catch people saying how genius they are for sticking to their board.

When we do it, it's: "same ol' Redskins...thinking they can rewrite the book."

So to give people grief for recognizing that our track record affords absolutely zero benefits of any doubt, no matter how infinitesimal, is asinine. This FO deserves no tips of any hats whatsoever when discussing their penchant for finding hidden gems. We posses 1 on our roster...Alfred Morris...period. and he was drafted by arguably the greatest RB evaluator of all time.

As far as bashing "armchair GM's" for "thinking they know better than our highly paid...yadda, yadda," I think it would be remiss to neglect how spot on our highly paid "experts" have been over the years; let me count the ways:

It's fair to question our front office I suppose although you also have to remember that the people who were really pulling the trigger on a lot of those picks / signings aren't here anymore and that many of those failures may have to do with the lack of ability to develop talent. I suspect that many players who flamed out here would have done far better in a different situation.

That being said, you also need to remember that there were 256 players drafted and another 400-500 picked up as undrafted free agents. There are 340 Division I college football teams and around 2500 games played every season. To watch every player on every snap just once, you'd have to watch each play 22 times. It takes teams of professionals with no other job working long hours to effectively scout and prep for the draft. So yes, any one person with a full-time job, family, etc coming on here claiming to know better is being silly and most of the people expressing their opinions about players are just pulling crap out of their rear end and haven't watched a snap on them. Even if they had, they wouldn't know what to look for and wouldn't have access to the ridiculous amounts of other intelligence that these pro scouts gather.

So yes, any one person with a full-time job, family, etc coming on here CLAIMING TO KNOW BETTER is being silly and most of the people expressing their opinions about players are just PULLING CAP OUT OF THEIR REAR END AND HAVEN'T WATCHED A SNAP ON THEM. Even if they had, they wouldn't know what to look for and wouldn't have access to the ridiculous amounts of other intelligence that these pro scouts gather.

Which goes back to my favorite point....use a qualifier or disclaimer...a necessary tool in English. To make such wide-sweeping, & ignominious judgements on people who are already spending unreasonable, & irrational hours on a fan message board is irresponsible, offensive, & unnecessary.

If you truly mean everyone who dares to question the wisdom of the Holiest of Holies in our FO, & step forward to defend them as a zealot would their deity, then man....you certainly fit the definition of "fanatic."

With this FO's track record, I would say the scale swings heavily in favor of irrationality when it comes to defending their personnel decisions. Conversely, one would be forgiven for thinking a Redskins fan as sane, when presenting their apprehension with our draft.

The thing is...your (& various other posters) flippant dismission of any valid, or educated concerns by lumping them in with the other Martians you describe is indicative of one's blind faith in the unquestioned glory of the word thy Allen. I would argue that this is a much more irrational, & irresponsible angle than simply stating your fact-based counter analysis, & moving on.

1 1 Miami Dolphins Jake Long† OT

1 2 St. Louis Rams Chris Long DE

1 3 Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan† QB

1 4 Oakland Raiders Darren McFadden RB

1 5 Kansas City Chiefs Glenn Dorsey DT

1 6 New York Jets Vernon Gholston DE

1 7 New Orleans Saints Sedrick Ellis DT

1 8 Jacksonville Jaguars Derrick Harvey DE

1 9 Cincinnati Bengals Keith Rivers LB

1 10 New England Patriots Jerod Mayo† LB

1 1 Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford QB

1 2 St. Louis Rams J ason Smith OT

1 3 Kansas City Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE

1 4 Seattle Seahawks Aaron Curry LB

1 5 New York Jets Mark Sanchez QB

1 6 Cincinnati Bengals Andre Smith OT

1 7 Oakland Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey WR

1 8 Jacksonville Jaguars Eugene Monroe OT

1 9 Green Bay Packers B. J. Raji† DT

1 10 San Francisco 49ers Michael Crabtree WR

1 1 St. Louis Rams Sam Bradford QB

1 2 Detroit Lions Ndamukong Suh† DT

1 3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gerald McCoy† DT

1 4 Washington Redskins Trent Williams† OT

1 5 Kansas City Chiefs Eric Berry† S

1 6 Seattle Seahawks Russell Okung† OT

1 7 Cleveland Browns Joe Haden† CB

1 8 Oakland Raiders Rolando McClain LB

1 9 Buffalo Bills C. J. Spiller† RB

1 10 Jacksonville Jaguars Tyson Alualu DT

Those are the most important draft choices those teams had the entire year, and I'm pretty sure a majority of those names aren't worthy of those picks now. 

The draft is subjective and a crap shoot. Washington isn't the only team with its fair share of mistakes, and even The Patriots, Steelers and Ravens have had plenty of reaches, head scratches and picks that turned out to be a total miss. Not trying to give a free pass to GM's who make mistakes, but I think too many times fans don't really look at all the teams who make weird decisions that don't work out that happen to play outside of Washington. Look at the NFC East in the 1st round this year, everyone was happy they all seemed to make some weird reaches, yet some fans act as if they're the worst at drafting.

The thing is...your (& various other posters) flippant dismission of any valid, or educated concerns by lumping them in with the other Martians you describe is indicative of one's blind faith in the unquestioned glory of the word thy Allen. I would argue that this is a much more irrational, & irresponsible angle than simply stating your fact-based counter analysis, & moving on.

Break out the thesaurus for this one, did ya? It's not enough just to use big words when trying to sound intelligent. You actually have to know how to write. This post reads about as smooth as a pair of Hessian undies.

I remember the opposite.  I remember a lot of fans cheering very loudly, saying that they would have picked him with the first rounder had we not traded down.  Some said they were worried about the knee, but most were very hyped about this guy's production and potential.

That's how I remember it, too...he and Thomas were said to have made Moss and Randle El unnecessary.

I remember a lot of fans questioning why the Skins drafted two WRs and TE while passing on Calais Campbell.  I also remember Vinny was asked a fan question on the radio during the season about passing up Campbell when DL was a need and his snide response was how many sacks does Campbell have?  

I was one of people calling for DL/OL in the draft because the Skins were getting old on the lines.  I understood drafting the WRs since I was also thinking the Skins needed bigger/physical WRs.  I thought if they draft two it increases the chance one will pan out.  My issue was with Fred Davis who I thought was a luxury pick at the time when Cooley was still playing at a high level and that pick should of been used on Campbell.  Turns out Davis was the best of the 3 and Cooley started getting injured so it opened the door.  

Break out the thesaurus for this one, did ya? It's not enough just to use big words when trying to sound intelligent. You actually have to know how to write. This post reads about as smooth as a pair of Hessian undies.

Actually, I write, & speak like this all the time. Funny thing is it seems that many YOU might assume to be incapable of following, have absolutely no problem doing so. I'd say something about intelligence, but I've learned that reading comprehension is not beholden to intelligent thought. I often do find; however, that those who complain or can't follow, typically fall in line with a lacking ability in one, the other, or both.

Sorry...I don't try to burden myself with a lack of willing effort on that of the reader. If you're unwilling to look up a few words, or simply incapable of keeping up, then let's leave our conversation to the adults.

Don't punch up....The leverage doesn't appreciate.

Actually, I write, & speak like this all the time. Funny thing is it seems that many YOU might assume to be incapable of following, have absolutely no problem doing so. I'd say something about intelligence, but I've learned that reading comprehension is not beholden to intelligent thought. I often do find; however, that those who complain or can't follow, typically fall in line with a lacking ability in one, the other, or both.

Sorry man, I can't understand what you're trying to say and it's not because I don't know the definition of the words or that it's over my head. It's just not well-written dude. Take a look at some of the posts from that cat Jumbo who is a mod on here. You can tell he's an academic of some sort. He uses big words when appropriate and sounds intelligent but it doesn't seem forced and I don't have to stop and re-read his posts four times trying to decipher what he's trying to say.

I think it's more accurate to say lots of people said "What?" when Kerrigan was picked lol...That was the year 95% of Skins fans were absolutely certain we were finally drafting our next franchise QB in the 1st round.

You seriously have no idea what you're taking about, don't you?

Sorry man, I can't understand what you're trying to say and it's not because I don't know the definition of the words or that it's over my head. It's just not well-written dude. Take a look at some of the posts from that cat Jumbo who is a mod on here. You can tell he's an academic of some sort. He uses big words when appropriate and sounds intelligent but it doesn't seem forced and I don't have to stop and re-read his posts four times trying to decipher what he's trying to say.

Word..well I get along famously being the way that I am. Not sure what you mean by forced, if that's the way that I write.

I guess, whatever...don't read my posts then. just do me a solid & keep my name out of your mouth going forward, & I'll be sure to continue to not give 2 sniffs what you think about them.

Or I suppose you can come up with another insufferably clever backhanded critique, which will undoubtedly show me the error of my ways, & force me to acquiesce to your superior wisdoms. Forgive me father for I have sinned....yadda, yadda...n' all that jazz.

(insert wall of text, or similarly dismissive "constructive criticism" here X)

I'm scratching my head about that myself. Totally different positions as well.

The more I hear, see and read about Murphy though the more I think we got a good football player.

Me too.  He's got talent, he's smart, he's nasty as hell, he's got size, he's got power, and he never quits.

The only knock against him that I have seen is that he does not have the quickness of a prototypical pass rusher. 

I remember a lot of fans questioning why the Skins drafted two WRs and TE while passing on Calais Campbell.  I also remember Vinny was asked a fan question on the radio during the season about passing up Campbell when DL was a need and his snide response was how many sacks does Campbell have?

I only remember that in connection to drafting Davis...we already had Cooley, fans were irritated that we drafted an unnecessary TE instead of Campbell. But as far as Thomas went, he had "1st round talent" and the majority here were over the moon that we got him by trading back into the 2nd round. Kelly?...Most were positive on him being drafted, with those who weren't questioning the health of his knees. But definitely BOTH had threads started on ES about how Moss and ARE were "expendable" now. I got into many debates back then about how stupid it was to assume anything about any of the four players (Moss, ARE, Kelly and Thomas). Then again, if you go by some ES pearls of wisdom, Rob Jackson was supposed to have made Orakpo expendable, Ladell Betts was supposed to have made Clinton Portis expendable, and Colt Brennan was supposed to have made half the roster experdable.

You seriously have no idea what you're taking about, don't you?

Easiest thing in the world would be to post links to draft threads back then and post numerous comments at the time.

I take that back...the easiest thing in the world would apparently be to offer up a weak insult instead of any facts to back up your stance.

Will say...at the time of the pick i was a little disappointed b/c i thought we reached for a guy that could of been had a bit latter and wasn't happy we didn't address the OL.

However after doing a lot of reading on the guy and watching his interview and vids im really excited what he can bring to our team. He's a hard nose tough SOB....something that i feel like we dont have a lot of on the D. Feel like he can bring that "attitude" we have been missing for so long. I dont know where they will play him but im excited to see how it turns out.

For the record, here is ES back during the 2011 draft, leading up to our #10 pick:

"Gabbert is still alive!"

"SF is our biggest obstacle between us and Gabbert."

"Gabbert or Patrick Peterson please."

"C'mon Gabbert!"

"I have a feeling Gabbert is this years QB who drops far. If so, I still think we trade down and get him later."

"Cincy better not take Gabbert."

"C'mon Bungals, pass on Gabbert!"

"keep falling gabbert....."

"Yeehaw baby! Gabbert's still there."

"I say we have to trade if we want Gabbert."

"so im guessing everybody wants gabbert? but why?"

"Bc it's been leaked that the Shannys think he is the best prospect."

"Mallet is still available!"

"we will need to trade up for Gabbert, but Locker will be there at 10."

"Locker has far more bust potential. Gabbert may never turn into a star, but he won't be a total washout."

"Keep on falling Locker & Gabbert!!!"

"Gabbert still there!!!!"

"Bring on Gabbert and his photographic memory. He sounds like the ultimate coachable kid and a guy Shanahan could mold."

There is tons more like that...you get the picture.

After the trade and our pick finally arrived. The initial reactions? Many were like this:

"Ewww Ryan Kerrigan?"

"Kerrigan?......."

"Don't know anything about Kerrigan"

"what oh god Kerrigan ..what ohHell No."

"ryan kerrigan to the skins??"

"Haha. What the hell is even going on? Kerrigan at 16? Sounds like we were desperate after everyone took the other guys. SMH"

"Who's this Kerrigan guy?"

"Don't like the Kerrigan pick.. Don't hate it either.. but it's meh"

"That's our first rounder???? Kerrigan???"

"I think the Titans screwed us from the start taking Locker. Our Gabbert smokescreen was hosed. Then the Vikings double screwed us and took Ponder and made McNabb worthless..we got stuck with Kerrigan."

"Not sure how I feel about Kerrigan as the guy at 16"

"we fail...."

"...all of a sudden we have to waste a pick on a linebacker/end to generate pass rush....and now we had gabbert a franchise qb in our hands and we let him go.....so we have 2nd round picks that will not turn our francise around....maybe now we are ranked 25 as a defense with otogwe and kerrigan.....but we have no qb...what a joke shanahan is.....so far he has done nothing right."

"Kerrigan? DE? Look like this is shaping up to be another worthless draft."

"I am going out on a limb and saying this draft is being punted away."

"We picked up a guy who wasn't really even slated by most to be a 1st rounder. But lets say he is good. We get a few more sacks and hurries. Awesome. So tell me then, how do we fix our horrible QB situation?"

"Kerrigan doesnt even fit in on a 34 defense. Hes not a speed rusher. Hes a natural DE. This pick makes no sense to me"

"I was confused by this pick at first, because he wasn't a sexy pick or just din't have enoughe publicity."

"I'm not that impressed with this pick"

"I don't know.....I like trading down but to take a 4-3 DE? Seems like everybody BUT the Redskins know that they play a 3-4 defense....Not crazy about this. Hope I'm wrong."

So, yeah, Binton...tell me again that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Relentless player. High energy, high motor. impressive production. high character guy. intelligent player, studies the game hard then goes out and plays tough.

Stick your mock drafts up your ass....Very good selection, welcome to the Redskins.

Archived