Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With the second pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, Washington selects ... ?

Spearfeather

Washington will pick ... ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who will we take with the second pick ?

• Caleb Williams
    • Drake Maye
    • Jayden Daniels
    • J.J. McCarthy
    • Some other player

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 01:00 PM

2 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Daniels was the better college player and is likely a better player right now.

Maye will be the better NFL player and will stay at that level for a much longer period of time.

It really is that simple to me. 

But, I suppose we'll see.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

But what if McCarthy is really the next Tom Brady?

Nobody knows. It's actually slightly possible. I'd give it a 10% chance that he's even 50% as clutch as Tom Brady.

I think that is more likely than Daniels being a clutch Lamar Jackson.

So I'm going with Maye 1, McCarthy 2 and if they believe he's a better leader and more of a clutch player then it would be better to take McCarthy. Especially if they don't see Maye being clutch at all.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

But what if McCarthy is really the next Tom Brady?

Nobody knows. It's actually slightly possible. I'd give it a 10% chance that he's even 50% as clutch as Tom Brady.

I think that is more likely than Daniels being a clutch Lamar Jackson.

So I'm going with Maye 1, McCarthy 2 and if they believe he's a better leader and more of a clutch player then it would be better to take McCarthy. Especially if they don't see Maye being clutch at all.

McCarthy is my pick also. He looks legit in every phase, maybe not spectacular in any one in particular, but just very solid all around.

Daniels looks like RGIII Part Deux. I'll pass.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I want it to be Maye but I expect it to be Daniels. Either way I'll be happy with either. And in the end I think both will have better careers then Williams. 

On 4/16/2024 at 11:56 AM, PlayAction said:

Will this be the first year that the NFL does not break for a commercial before we pick? 

Is that a bet?

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

People have to have dreams, but wanting a raw product from an ACC school is nightmare.

His rawness is extremely overstated by people looking for a way to differentiate multiple hyped prospects. It’s not actually a downside he has. He has things to work on like every other incoming rookie QB, it would be a work in progress for all of them, just in different ways. 

His footwork needs work, so what. Daniels has never called his own protections, while Maye has. They each have things that will make their lives easier and harder early on in the league. It’s the coaches’ jobs to put them each in positions for them to succeed, working on where they need to grow in the meantime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

His rawness is extremely overstated by people looking for a way to differentiate multiple hyped prospects. It’s not actually a downside he has. He has things to work on like every other incoming rookie QB, it would be a work in progress for all of them, just in different ways. 

His footwork needs work, so what. Daniels has never called his own protections, while Maye has. They each have things that will make their lives easier and harder early on in the league. It’s the coaches’ jobs to put them each in positions for them to succeed, working on where they need to grow in the meantime. 

Maye's "issues" are pretty much all related to his youth and relative inexperience. Just about all of them can be coached up. You should always take the young guy with elite traits if you trust your coaching.

• Like 6

I voted Maye just based on upside, Daniel’s is more explosive and ready to play now but I just don’t see the guy staying on the field much. Personally I like McCarthy but don’t see it happening. The more I read about these guys the more conflicted I get lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

The more I read about these guys the more conflicted I get lol

It's understandable. 

All the QBs we have a chance at this Thursday are all great prospects, but also all of them have their issues as well.

There is no "sure thing" for Washington to select at the #2 spot.

For me, I'm just waiting to see and trusting the process of our new brain trust to use all of the information they have in hand to make a wise decision. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:46 PM, Probos said:

I hope that a team is drooling over Jayden Daniels (the Raiders?) and trades up to #2 -- the Ders make them pay a lot and they end up with Penix.  

It sure would be nice to be the team doing the fleecing instead of the one getting fleeced for a change. 

• Like 1

The pundits have knit-picked the QBs to death.  Now they are trying to match up their last-minute projections with the soon-to-be reality.  The top 3 QBs all have the potential to be very good.  I don't care which one is best able to hit the ground running - I want a franchise QB who will be with the team for ten years (so we never pick #2 again).  If Klingsbury is any good, he will develop an offense that matches the skill set of whichever QB is selected.  I'm not going to lie though - JD will give me heartburn if he's tossed around like a ragdoll (RG3 flashbacks).    

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I'm not going to lie though - JD will give me heartburn if he's tossed around like a ragdoll (RG3 flashbacks).    

Yeah, I think there are a number of Washington fans who see Daniels and his lean, lanky frame and get nightmares of RG3 splaying and tumbling in the pocket like a crash test dummy when a 280lb defensive player hit him.

I don't know a whole lot about Daniels, so I don't know if he is as dumb in the pocket as RG3 was. RG3 seemed to literally run into pressure instead of away from it.

Daniels might not be that way. 

• Like 1

I have been on team Maye since we secured #2, but I will feel good about whomever GMAP takes.  He is privy to a lot more info, not to mention much more qualified than I am, so I trust his decision.  I'm excited to have an answer in 4 days.  

Another reason to like the DQ hire over Ben Johnson: I think his presence helps lessen the concern over JD and his mother's personality if that's the guy they want.  DQ is a people person, and I am confident he would navigate JDs experience here successfully.  Being a rookie coach, Ben Johnson could've let the personalities lead to drama / discord.  I don't have those concerns with DQ in charge, unless JD is a world class prima Donna.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:37 PM, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

I voted Maye just based on upside, Daniel’s is more explosive and ready to play now but I just don’t see the guy staying on the field much. Personally I like McCarthy but don’t see it happening. The more I read about these guys the more conflicted I get lol

Maye is the least exciting for me. Daniel's is exciting but makes me nervous because of RG3 PTSD. McCarthy looks good on tape and I can get behind it.

• Thumb up 1

I am not confident in Jayden, Drake, or JJ.  For whatever reason, my heart wants Jayden over Maye and JJ.  Again, I don't like any of them.  Jayden is simply the lesser of three evils.

Whoever they pick will leave me feeling "meh."  But I hope he makes a complete fool of me by becoming a franchise-changing QB.

Added:  I think they will take Jayden.  OTOH, I would not be upset at all with a trade down for multiple high picks while still selecting a QB in the first round.

Edited by cakmoney61
Added.
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

I am not confident in Jayden, Drake, or JJ.  For whatever reason, my heart wants Jayden over Maye and JJ.  Again, I don't like any of them.  Jayden is simply the lesser of three evils.

Whoever they pick will leave me feeling "meh."  But I hope he makes a complete fool of me by becoming a franchise-changing QB.

Added:  I think they will take Jayden.  OTOH, I would not be upset at all with a trade down for multiple high picks while still selecting a QB in the first round.

If you can't get excited over these QBs I have to wonder if you ever like any QB prospect.  You may be the only person I've read who has this take on the 3 QBs you mentioned.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1