Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With the second pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, Washington selects ... ?

Spearfeather

Washington will pick ... ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who will we take with the second pick ?

• Caleb Williams
    • Drake Maye
    • Jayden Daniels
    • J.J. McCarthy
    • Some other player

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 01:00 PM

Assuming Washington stays with the second pick which I think most of us believe is a safe assumption, who will it be ?

This is just a poll.  Maybe a post stating who the pick will be and what you think that players' biggest selling point has been, but try to keep the back and forth to a minimum, as those debates should be saved for the QB thread that already exist.

Let's get it on the record. 

image.png.adcb6505976c05fb045123a71b4cece6.png

image.png.27490e9eaf72e9ff18eff6c12f8d7f88.png

image.png.fa81a38e34554a6e97326b749f19f633.png

image.png.54ce22cf333755baadd5a92d06dd4c57.png

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

• Spearfeather changed the title to With the second pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, Washington selects ... ?

So this is the thread we can all go back to if/when things fall apart after we draft one of these guys and start getting in some good "I told ya so's."

Great idea!

Then in my self dialogue...

Evil CITR thought bubble: "So the smart move would be to let everyone else make their choices and never make a pick yourself. That way no matter what happens you can openly criticize the losing faction. Heh...heh...heh..."

Good CITR thought bubble: "No, evil one! That would lack honor, and thou shall put honor above all earthly things!"

(Immediately goes to make poll selection).

Evil CITR thought bubble: "Sucker! You used to be a cool dude, but nowadays you never let me out to have fun!"

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

So this is the thread we can all go back to if/when things fall apart after we draft one of these guys and start getting in some good "I told ya so's."

I would say, yes, but with the question being who will we take ...

Someone could think we should take Daniel's or McCarthy, but thinks we will take Maye.

If so, they could specify that in their post.

• Thumb up 1

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/coaches_scouts_and_executives_say_who_commanders_should_draft_at_no_2/s1_13132_40223128

I went with Daniels. He will need a better OL than what we have had.

Most coaches, scouts and executives still believe that the Washington Commanders shouldn't think twice about making LSU Tigers quarterback Jayden Daniels the second pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, assuming the Chicago Bears take USC Trojans star Caleb Williams first overall. 

"The Commanders have been tight-lipped, so it's hard to say if they have a true lean," team reporter John Keim writes. "But what is clear is that most of the coaches I've spoken with, as well as ex-coaches who still study prospects, say it should be LSU's Jayden Daniels." 

Keim added that no coaches said Washington should select North Carolina Tar Heels quarterback Drake Maye over Daniels. Interestingly, he didn't even mention Michigan Wolverines signal-caller J.J. McCarthy as an option for the Commanders. 

Edited by RVAskins
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea who the best pick would be - honestly I have a feeling it will end up being a 2nd day pick.  My gut tells me Kingsbury will be the loudest voice in the room, which is why I think it will be Daniels (not necessarily who it should be).

I'm sticking with JJ.

Outside chance we orchestrate a trade down and nab him at 4/5.

I think he is the most polished "Quarterback" in this draft and being the youngest provides a great opportunity to mold a kid who already has a high "floor". 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, illone said:

I'm sticking with JJ.

Outside chance we orchestrate a trade down and nab him at 4/5.

I think he is the most polished "Quarterback" in this draft and being the youngest provides a great opportunity to mold a kid who already has a high "floor". 

If he's taken it will be at #2.  :)  

They'll run the clock all the way down and select Drake Maye.

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

If he's taken it will be at #2.  :)  

They'll run the clock all the way down and select Drake Maye.

Which would be like getting a lump of coal for Xmas for most fans of the team.  

Outside of Extremeskins, most people think Daniels is a clear choice for the #2 spot.

• Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

Which would be like getting a lump of coal for Xmas for most fans of the team.  

Outside of Extremeskins, most people think Daniels is a clear choice for the #2 spot.

No offense but I’d put the knowledge level of most of the ES crew ahead of most other groups of our fans, taken holistically. We make fun of the circular nature of discussion leading up to the draft, but the reality is that we’re still achieving a depth of conversation and debate here that a message board almost uniquely allows. A long form, ongoing discussion among members with decades of posting history just one click away. It’s rare on the modern internet. Subreddits can sometimes achieve a similar depth, but eventually grow too unwieldy to fully vet the most prolific posters. Twitter and Facebook are a poor vehicle for the sort of thing I’m talking about. Your average fan in the real meatspace is a relative dumbass with sports bar/ESPN level knowledge, on the whole.

That doesn’t mean people here are always more likely to be right, don’t misread me—it means I think on average people here have interrogated their own beliefs more deeply than most fans, and come out the other side with a generally more informed perspective, on average. 

I think you should be asking yourself why our little corner of the internet is bucking the general trend you’re seeing, and what that means—I expect some glib remark next about it being an echo chamber which is funny—and why. Rather than just dismissing it as a minority position. 

We had hit an era in the fairly recent past where good, vetted information was freely digestible enough, and widely dispersed enough, that there was a certain deserved romanticism about “the wisdom of the crowd”, sure. That was supposed to be the promise of the internet. Knowledge for anyone, anywhere, on anything. That isn’t where we are now. Because unfortunately, for many reasons, your average group of fans (to keep this football-related) is not always absorbing good information these days. This is larger than sports but respect for the concept of expertise has declined, respect for being educated in any particular way has declined, misinformation and empty AI-generated word salad is being consumed at a dangerous rate. Instead of a cornucopia of free knowledge to graze, the internet has turned into a machine optimized for confirming people’s biases—and the monetization of the internet’s precious clicks via ad sales encourages just that. Being loud and controversial and taking up space is worth more on this internet than being well-informed and trying to be systematically correct. 

Your average fan has access to more information than ever. Your average fan, however, is not smarter or more correct than ever (imo)—information alone doesn’t do the trick. And I think we’ve evolved a fairly unique ecosystem here, in regards to sharing, vetting, and breaking down information from many angles. The opinions derived from that information are, as ever, subject to human bias. But I think we have an environment here that leads to a generally more well-informed population, with a better idea of why they feel the way they do, and why they don’t feel the way they don’t, than most places on the internet, in a relative sense. Which Maye or Maye not matter in this case, as we are still just as prone to general dumbassery as anyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I have no idea who the best pick would be - honestly I have a feeling it will end up being a 2nd day pick.  My gut tells me Kingsbury will be the loudest voice in the room, which is why I think it will be Daniels (not necessarily who it should be).

"My gut tells me Kingsbury will be the loudest voice in the room..."

Kingsbury could well be the loudest voice, but this won't be a Spartan debate, where the one who yells loudest drowns out the others and wins without consideration given to the legitimacy of their argument.

In the room, where the final decision is made, all will have a voice among equals, but one man is more equal, charismatic, and  persuasive than all the others-- and that man is Dan Quinn.

He will get the qb and leader of the team that he wants.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"My gut tells me Kingsbury will be the loudest voice in the room..."

Kingsbury could well be the loudest voice, but this won't be a Spartan debate, where the one who yells loudest drowns out the others and wins without consideration given to the legitimacy of their argument.

In the room, where the final decision is made, all will have a voice among equals, but one man is more equal, charismatic, and  persuasive than all the others-- and that man is Dan Quinn.

He will get the qb and leader of the team that he wants.

That's my fear as well. Quinn is gonna pound the table HARD for Daniels because he's the exact type of QB that gives defensive coaches like him nightmares. He just got lit up by one in the playoffs and I'm sure that memory is fresh in his head. 

I hope Peters nuts up and says "No Dan. We're taking Maye and you're building around him. You'll thank me in 3 years."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

That's my fear as well. Quinn is gonna pound the table HARD for Daniels because he's the exact type of QB that gives defensive coaches like him nightmares. He just got lit up by one in the playoffs and I'm sure that memory is fresh in his head. 

I hope Peters nuts up and says "No Dan. We're taking Maye and you're building around him. You'll thank me in 3 years."

"Quinn is gonna pound the table HARD for Daniels because he's the exact type of QB that gives defensive coaches like him nightmares. "

I'm coming from the pro Daniels side of the fence, but I concur with your basic rationale. Just respectfully disagree that Daniels is the lesser option. 🙂

I'd also add that Quinn, in a recent interview,  said the most important quality a modern qb can possess is "post-snap processing", then he went on to specifically complinent JD for having that attribute.

• Like 2

I believe it's going to be Maye not because he has the highest ceiling but because he has the best floor of the prospects mentioned...

They CANNOT get this pick wrong, fine with playing it safe, they should given how painful picking a bust here will be.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

^^^Lowest Floor is now a preference? That definitely a unique perspective.

I'm serious, I'd rather have a bridge QB until we find the next guy then a bust, no telling when we pick #2 again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

^^^Lowest Floor is now a preference? That definitely a unique perspective.

Highest ceiling is the preference. Go for the guy that can elevate your franchise for the next decade. Even if that means taking a low floor higher than normal bust possibility.

Always take the home run swing or you'll be stuck in perpetual mediocrity.