Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daniel Snyder pulls Maryland mansion from market, donates it to charity

From the WaPo...the good news is he's no longer living in it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/21/daniel-snyder-house/

Eight months after selling the Washington Commanders, Daniel Snyder donated his mansion overlooking the Potomac River in Maryland to the American Cancer Society, reaping what could be a significant tax deduction on a property that had been on the market for more than a year.

Snyder purchased part of the property from the estate of King Hussein and Queen Noor of Jordan in 2001 for $8.64 million. He went on to acquire additional parcels, amassing 15 total acres, according to property records. The 30,000-square-foot estate, which he named River House, was completed in 2004.

The home, which served as Snyder’s primary residence for close to two decades, went on the market in February 2023 with an asking price of $49 million. Snyder reduced the price to $34.9 million after it sat on the market for six months.

The listing was removed on Monday, according to Zillow.

Property records show that on March 7, ACS Development Company I Inc., which owns and operates real estate for the American Cancer Society, purchased the home for $0. A spokesperson for the American Cancer Society said the organization intends to sell the property and use the proceeds “to advance our mission of improving the lives of cancer patients and their families.”

Snyder’s wife, Tanya Snyder, the former co-CEO of the Commanders, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008 and, after undergoing surgical treatment, was a noted advocate for cancer awareness. She helped launch the NFL’s “Think Pink” campaign, and ACS recognized her as its “Mother of the Year” in 2013.

“We are incredibly grateful for the gift, and the generosity cannot be overstated,” Karen Knudsen, CEO of the American Cancer Society, wrote in a release by the organization.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

One less connection to the DMV. 

When he passes, I hope he's buried at sea. 

Burn that house to the ground and put a park there.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Apparently they haven’t lived there for years and have been trying to sell it starting in 2018. Reducing the price by $14million last summer didn’t bring any buyers.

With property taxes and upkeep I expect he’s very glad to be rid of it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

As much as I hated the guy as an owner, he did have a reputation for generosity to charities.

Yeah, the problem was he believed that donating to charities should make him above reproach and immune to criticism. John Feinstein has spoken a lot about that time Snyder cornered him to complain about what Feinstein was writing about him, saying that since he donates so much to charities he shouldn't be criticized at all. Feinstein basically told him the donations had nothing to do with his constant meddling in the team, which was what he had written about.

Snyder also tried to imply that Feinstein shouldn't criticize him since they were both Jewish...and that didn't go over well with Feinstein either.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

He didn’t do it for the tax break. He could have sold it at half of market value quickly and still made more $$$ than the tax break.

Nobody wants to buy a house that reeks of the Stench of Snyder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Yeah, the problem was he believed that donating to charities should make him above reproach and immune to criticism. John Feinstein has spoken a lot about that time Snyder cornered him to complain about what Feinstein was writing about him, saying that since he donates so much to charities he shouldn't be criticized at all. Feinstein basically told him the donations had nothing to do with his constant meddling in the team, which was what he had written about.

Snyder also tried to imply that Feinstein shouldn't criticize him since they were both Jewish...and that didn't go over well with Feinstein either.

Nobody wants to buy a house that reeks of the Stench of Snyder.

Of all the things there are to not like Snyder over... having issues with Feinstein is not high, or even on, my list. In fact, having an issue with Feinstein humanizes him if anything

Edited by Redskins Diehard

19 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Burn that house to the ground and put a park there.

17 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Did he replant the trees he illegally cut down before donating it?

this was my first thought. 

im curious what the American cancer society does with a 30k sq for mansion. I imagine just sell it (which is what they suggest they’ll do in the article)

i am glad he wasn’t able to sell it. **** that guy. I hope his yacht sinks.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

The guy just got $6 billion for selling the team. For him, the delta between the tax break and what he could have gotten for selling the house on the open market, it’s like any of us donating $25. Let’s not go overboard with praise. 

• Like 2

Yeah and any time you feel slightly inclined to give a little praise, recall he was part of filming cheerleaders naked without the knowledge (much less permission) and circulating it around his little crew of frat boy jerkoffs. 

or any of the other ways in which he humiliated, demeaned, or outright went after another person simply because he thought he could  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

recall he was part of filming cheerleaders naked without the knowledge (much less permission) and circulating it around his little crew of frat boy jerkoffs.

For me, this was the breaking point. I was done with the team. The name change and retiring to another state just made for an easy exit path. I'm still shocked how little coverage this got.

• Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The guy just got $6 billion for selling the team. For him, the delta between the tax break and what he could have gotten for selling the house on the open market, it’s like any of us donating $25. Let’s not go overboard with praise. 

“Like any of us.” 🤣

Look at this Alexandria Elite acting like he’s one of us plebes, as if that will prevent us from eating him during the Great Class War.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

“Like any of us.” 🤣

Look at this Alexandria Elite acting like he’s one of us plebes, as if that will prevent us from eating him during the Great Class War.

Nah, I hear lawyers are a little too chewy.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

“Like any of us.” 🤣

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Nah, I hear lawyers are a little too chewy.

Let’s tax the **** out of him and put a big-ass hockey rink in his backyard!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

For me, this was the breaking point. I was done with the team. The name change and retiring to another state just made for an easy exit path. I'm still shocked how little coverage this got.

That is exactly how I felt and feel. 

It still shocks me when people write a list of issues with Snyder, and it’s not even on the list… I cannot understand why that never got traction. My assumption is that as much as people are on the “me too” movement, most people still look at cheerleaders in a way that allows them to write this off as nothing or something they deserved or something inherent to the life they chose…

• Like 1