Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Performing Our Patriotic Duty

KDawg

11 minutes ago, illone said:

I'm not mad at Chase Young at ALL.  In fact, I'm happy for the guy and I'll be cheering for him to have a great career, just hope he has a bad game against us 😆.

Most players if given the choice would not want to be on a mediocre team that makes the playoffs every 5-10 years. The 49ers are a wagon that contends every year, so not sure why Nicki thinks this is newsworthy lol.

yeah we are still in the snyder wake and we havent turned that corner yet. He didnt throw anyone under the bus. What hes saying is true. Its why our guys are going off in the locker room a couple weeks ago about losing.

Glad we were smart enough to get a pick for him though

Edited by dunfer

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It could be they're winners but this is funny to me considering this....

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-49ers-players-havent-bought-into-steve-wilks

Why the 49ers Players Haven't Bought Into Steve Wilks

First, he doesn't stand on the sideline -- he sits in the booth, far away from his players.

Steve Wilks might be a great defensive coordinator, but he hasn't convinced his players yet.

You can tell by how the 49ers defense plays. It's flat. Emotionless. Stale. Which is incredible, because the past four seasons it was an elite defense defined by energy and effort under Robert Saleh and DeMeco Ryans. 

Those two created the 49ers' culture. They didn't call lots of complicated plays, although the things they called worked quite well. But the main thing they brought to the team was passion, because head coach Kyle Shanahan doesn't provide that. He's lost in his play sheet. Which means the 49ers need their defensive coordinator to stand on the sideline and function as a pseudo head coach who burts with confidence.

That's not Wilks. First, he doesn't stand on the sideline -- he sits in the booth, far away from his players. He can't contact them directly. In addition, he's not upbeat and enthusiastic like Saleh and Ryans. No, Wilks is removed and critical like Shanahan. They don't complement each other.

And there's something else. Wilks hasn't coached for a winning team since 2017. Hasn't dealt with the expectations of winning. Which means he has grown accustomed to losing. That's not to say he expects to lose, but he's used to it. That's all he's known the past few seasons.

The 49ers are not accustomed to losing. So when they hit a three-game losing streak, it's easy for the players to single out the new defensive coordinator who comes from all those bad teams.

For Wilks, the answer isn't finding the right play to call. It's finding a way to win over his players and make them buy into him. Easier said than done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I love me some Jamison Crowder, but at the same time, I'm kind of disappointed that he's shining for us at WR where others aren't. What happened to the rest of our depth? Was Crowder always this good and teams just mismanaged him, or are our WRs playing noticeably bad enough that they're letting a 30 year old player the entire state of New York gave up on steal their thunder?

He's had a very consistent career.

Perfect fit in the slot for us right now. Tough guy. Not as lanky as the other WRs.

30 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

He's had a very consistent career.

Perfect fit in the slot for us right now. Tough guy. Not as lanky as the other WRs.

Lanky? Terry is 6’ dead. Dotson is 5’ 11”.

Samuels is 5’ 11”.

If anything they lack a 6’+ lanky guy.

• Like 4

I was away visiting fam over the weekend. I airplane mode'd all my devices to watch the game spoiler free this afternoon. I'm managed to get thru w/o ruining the surprise.

I thought this was our most complete game of the season. The O was good and the D was good.

Yeah, I acknowledge we were kinda playing a creampuff opponent so there is some salt to take with it.

I thought the Oline still got thrown around the previous week, but the quick passing game made it much less relevant. The Oline this week however performed very well against NE's anemic pass rush. Much better

D line was not good tho. 5.6 YPC, no pressure no sacks... Our D was carried by the back end which is... amazing. Forbes had a great game, even with that dropped INT

Cheeseman is scaring me again. Way caught 2 errant snaps.

Howell was great. I will call out his across the field throw tho. Cardinal sin of QB'ing. I don't care that it worked, it is easily one of Howell's worst plays of the year to date. Not too bummed about the bad INT however, I expect some mistakes, especially with that many attempts. Good Oline play allowed us to dial up a bunch of shots. we hit a couple which aint too bad.

Dot is an enigma wrapped in a mystery at this point. I'll take that over his previous astral existence however.

Quan was the only player on D who didn't record a tackle yet somehow impacted the game.

So overall, that is the kinda performance I'd like to see vs such a weak opponent. I could nitpick it more, but the stat disparity was alarming enough to brush a lot aside.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Lanky? Terry is 6’ dead. Dotson is 5’ 11”.

Samuels is 5’ 11”.

If anything they lack a 6’+ lanky guy.

The advantage is that we have seen taller receivers fall down the draft and still have success. 

But my wildcard for round 1 in '24 is TE or WR. Think the height will continue to come from TE. Jahan might work more out of the slot in time, so I can see room for an outside guy. 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Caleb's diva attitude in NY could be a disaster. I don't want them getting Maye though. He'd be Eli 2.0 for em but with more raw talent.

The Giants getting Maye or Williams is a nightmare outcome to me.  It'd be like Trevor Lawrence or Pat Mahomes winding up in the division and pushing us firmly into fourth for the forseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The Giants getting Maye or Williams is a nightmare outcome to me.  It'd be like Trevor Lawrence or Pat Mahomes winding up in the division and pushing us firmly into fourth for the forseeable future.

Yup.  I don't want Maye or Williams anywhere near NYG.  With Murray coming back, Zona could win some games.  Carolina should start playing better with Bryce getting more experience.  With all the injuries, NYG could be in the driver's lane for the #1 pick.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm out on Caleb. I mean he could ball out in NY but I don't know, dude just screams diva to me. He could wilt and lash out playing in the hotpot that is NY. 

Maye would be a nightmare though. He would kill it in that market. Like I said, he has that Eli-esque unflappability.

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm out on Caleb. I mean he could ball out in NY but I don't know, dude just screams diva to me. He could wilt and lash out playing in the hotpot that is NY. 

Maye would be a nightmare though. He would kill it in that market. Like I said, he has that Eli-esque unflappability.

Fan bases love elite QBs, and Williams has the talent to be one of the best in the NFL early in his career.  That fan base talked themselves into Daniel Jones, they would be over the moon with Williams.  They supposedly have good coaches, and they're much more talented than their record indicates, suggesting this is a temporary down season.  That dude could come into NY and compete for the division immediately.

There is just no chance that the Giants landing a super blue chip QB would be a good thing.  That kind of acquisition tends to put minimally competent franchises into contention for a decade.  It'd be so impactful in the NFC too, since all of the best QBs are in the AFC now.

We want Williams to end up in Las Vegas or somewhere far away from direct competition with us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Fan bases love elite QBs, and Williams has the talent to be one of the best in the NFL early in his career.  That fan base talked themselves into Daniel Jones, they would be over the moon with Williams.  They supposedly have good coaches, and they're much more talented than their record indicates, suggesting this is a temporary down season.  That dude could come into NY and compete for the division immediately.

There is just no chance that the Giants landing a super blue chip QB would be a good thing.  That kind of acquisition tends to put minimally competent franchises into contention for a decade.  It'd be so impactful in the NFC too, since all of the best QBs are in the AFC now.

We want Williams to end up in Las Vegas or somewhere far away from direct competition with us.

Very well could be correct. However, being afraid of rookie quarterbacks is not a reality based fear. There are so many variables. And there are almost no guarantees.

He (or any rookie) may turn out to be phenomenal. Or not. Take it as it goes.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The only winnable games they have left are against us, home against NE, home against GB, and home against LAR.  They'll probably be favored to lose every one of those games.  They have a real shot at getting the #1 pick.  It would be awful if they did.  We need to root for the Giants.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

The only winnable games they have left are against us, home against NE, home against GB, and home against LAR.  They'll probably be favored to lose every one of those games.  They have a real shot at getting the #1 pick.  It would be awful if they did.  We need to root for the Giants.

On a positive note, they did just sign Dimes to a 4 year deal so they wouldn't completely be able to enjoy having that cap relief from a rookie deal. 

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

On a positive note, they did just sign Dimes to a 4 year deal so they wouldn't completely be able to enjoy having that cap relief from a rookie deal. 

It looks like there is a big out in Jones's contract after the 2024 season though, where his dead cap number drops far below his cap hit.  So basically they can pick a rookie and take their medicine for one season and then basically be free of the Jones contract after his rookie year.  It seems that they front loaded a ton of cash into the first two years of his extension

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It looks like there is a big out in Jones's contract after the 2024 season though, where his dead cap number drops far below his cap hit.  So basically they can pick a rookie and take their medicine for one season and then basically be free of the Jones contract after his rookie year.  It seems that they front loaded a ton of cash into the first two years of his extension

I just looked at the contract, you are correct. Looks like it amount mainly to a two year deal, very front loaded

46 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I just dont think chasing unicorns is the panacea it’s perceived to be. 

Still, you don’t want one going to a division rival (especially in a scenario where they don’t need to spend significant resources to draft them). That is a nightmare scenario. 

• Like 1