Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Performing Our Patriotic Duty

KDawg

Offense

Howell is legit. Each week his pocket presence improves. A lot of that has to do with the shift in gameplan and play calling. Instead of calling intermediate routes with a poor OL just for the sake of it, we've adjusted to more quick hitters for two weeks in a row. That takes the pressure off of a porous offensive line and a "rookie in starts" Sam Howell. 

Howell is fearless, has ice in his veins, has a short memory and is quite frankly fearless. However... He is also still a little reckless. I feel we as fans sometimes don't realize quarterbacks all over the League, including the best ones, make poor throws on a routine basis. But Howell's have been in bad spots and he has to continue to learn from them. That interception to end the half was horrendous. No hiding it. 

I also struggle to get a good feel for our pass catchers. Terry has dropped more balls the last two weeks than he did in his entire career with much worse quarterbacks throwing him the ball. It's almost like Terry can't believe the ball is in a catchable radius.

Dotson has dropped some easy ones. 

Brown had one sail directly through his hands in the end zone for six. 

But then they show up in big moments, too. So it's hard to get too frustrated with most of them but at the same time you get frustrated.

Shoutout to Jamison Crowder and Byron Pringle who have stepped up the last few weeks.

Furthermore, on the topic of Bienemy, sometimes I think he out thinks himself. 3rd and 1? Let's run an outside zone read. Clock winding, we ran the ball early in downs and took the conservative approach? Let's call a 5 step drop on 3rd down and throw a pass downfield instead of continuing to be conservative... Pick one. Don't out think yourself. Your schemes work. You are your own worst enemy, but EB... He can get it done as long as he steps outsmarting himself. I think he can. He's improved from week one until now. We just have to see that continually... and I'm not sure it's going to matter much for landing a job in Washington. If Rivera is gone and they hire an offensive minded HC, Bienemy is gone no matter what.

Defense

I, uhh... Don't really know what to say.

We didn't miss Sweat or Young. Bears fans are already frustrated with their investment in Sweat. He had two tackles and a PD. At some point he'll have a big game and they'll come around. And then he'll go back and forth, just like here. Good player, not worth $100M. 

But anyways, he's not here anymore. Do you know who is? KJ Henry. I don't care that the NFL took it away, that was a beautiful sack. He got around the edge, got skinny came downhill and had a picture perfect sack. He then braced himself on the ground in order to avoid landing on Mac Jones. Shouldn't have been called and I'm pretending it wasn't. Andre Jones had a PD as well, and I didn't even know he was out there. So nice that both rookies did something. 

Speaking of rookies... Forbes had a really good day. Yes, he dropped the pick, but he was in excellent position all game. Yes, he was covering Jaelen Raegor... But again, he could have gotten roasted and didn't. Quan Martin also contributed with the game sealing interception. Nice to see our rookies in the game. 

Other than that... our defense is a sieve and it makes me uneasy. Too many gash plays for my liking. But they buckled down when they needed to and got it done.

Jon Allen and Daron Payne had 1 and 2 tackles respectively. Defensive tackles aren't always about getting tackles but these guys have been in the past and haven't been playing to their standard this year. 

Specs

Yup.

Other

N/A

Studs and Duds:

** - Sam Howell (I wanted to give him three... but that interception was just so bad)

** - Terry McLaurin

* - Brian Robinson

* - Byron Pringle

* - KJ Henry

* - Emmanuel Forbes

* - Quan Martin

Not going to give any frowns. I have a suspicion that is going to change in the coming weeks and just wanted to enjoy an adequate performance.

Season Studs/Duds

11x* - Kam Curl

11x* - Terry McLaurin

9x* - Sam Howell

6x* - Brian Robinson

5x* - Daron Payne

5x*- Montez Sweat

5x* - Jamison Crowder

4x* - Curtis Samuel

3x* - Chase Young

3x* - Casey Toohill

3x* - Jahan Dotson

3x* - Tyler Larsen

3x* - Joey Slye

2x* - Logan Thomas

2x* - Kendall Fuller

2x* - Jon Allen

1x* - Byron Pringle

1x* - KJ Henry

1x* - Quan Martin

1x* - Ben St Juste

1x* - Darrick Forrest

1x* - Logan Thomas

1x* - Antonio Gibson

1x* - Jamin Davis

1x :( - Percy Butler

1x :( - Emmanuel Forbes

2x :( - Danny Johnson

3x :( - Cody Barton

3x :( - Nick Gates

4x :( - Saadhiq Charles

4x :( - Cheeseman 

11x :( - Andrew Wylie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Howell also missed Docson over the middle to ice the game and inexplicably went deep instead. But overall, he's showing out.

I partially blamed his INT on Rivera for a complete mind-numbing decision to not use one of your THREE time outs there.

Yes, he missed Jahan… however…

Had we rolled Sam out and told him “only throw if it’s wide open otherwise just go down in bounds” we avoid the whole

scenario. Again, EB outsmarting himself. 

• Like 5

Second week in a row that the OL played better. Not that Chris Paul was particularly good, but clearly they have turned a corner with this lineup.

RB's played better and Gibson had one of his better games. 

Pringle and Crowder impressed today. Love Jamison as a PR and hope they re-sign him. Jahan and Terry are still only at 80% of where they should be. 

Teams are focusing on the DTs, so they need more pressure from DE - I like that we saw Henry and Jones get time as the game went on. 

Fuller and Curl continue to impress.

Forbes and Quan had their best games against a weakened receiving corps. Butler probably did too. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Is Terry injured?? I thought I read a week or so back on here that he's been a little banged up. Definitely doesn't seem like himself 

I believe Sam was only sacked once?? Is that correct? I did miss most of the 3rd quarter so maybe I missed one??

Three times. One was him running and going down before the LoS… so technically a sack but theoretically not.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Is Terry injured?? I thought I read a week or so back on here that he's been a little banged up. Definitely doesn't seem like himself 

He was dealing with turf toe from preseason. I know it's a lingering nagging injury. Not sure for how long though....

Also, for the record, Forbes didn't exactly drop that int., it was offensive pass interference :)

Edited by Skins24
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I believe Sam was only sacked once?? Is that correct? I did miss most of the 3rd quarter so maybe I missed one??

I think hes feeling that toe still. There was a play when he broke clear on a slant and picked up 36 yards. But he was caught from behind - if he's full healthy he would have still been running. No one catches him from behind.

30 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Saw the highlights... at least the D held them to 17 and didn't allow them to score in the last quarter and a half. Looks like having Mac Jones as the QB to defend helped lol

Next week will be tough against Geno though. 

Geno Smith has reverted to more to who he is this season - a decent but not great starter. Seahawks is a winnable game.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

I just want this on record. 

Some of Beinemy’s play designs are horrendous. 

The double-fake left/right screen pass to Bates is so bad. Draw the defenders to an area… and then go back to the area that’s swarming with defenders you drew there?

Even Dotson’s TD catch. Jahan clearly had his man beat by yards and it was still a contested catch because the defender on McLaurin running the same route 5-yards deeper was right there able to give over-the-top coverage.

Or the 3rd and long pass to Pringle were Howell turned and lobbed. He had 2 receivers in the same exact area that one of the receivers dove for the pass because he thought it was for him and Pringle caught it like he anticipated his teammate was a defender.

These are just a few of what I’ve seen today, let alone previous games.

I think there’s some stuff I like about EB’s offence….. but there’s been a lot of growing pains to suggest he’s not a finished product as an OC (by far).

Jury is still out for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

6 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Even Dotson’s TD catch. Jahan clearly had his man beat by yards and it was still a contested catch because the defender on McLaurin running the same route 5-yards deeper was right there able to give over-the-top coverage.

I assume Terry ran the wrong route versus the coverage there. I can’t believe it was drawn up to end up with two receivers that close.

I think the running game design is where I have the bigger concerns about the offensive scheme. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Yes, he missed Jahan… however…

Had we rolled Sam out and told him “only throw if it’s wide open otherwise just go down in bounds” we avoid the whole

scenario. Again, EB outsmarting himself. 

I would expect the QB to bail out his OC there though and make sure the ball is either complete or takes a sack. Have to make them use a TO there at a minimum. 

I assume it was a called shot to Brown - an experienced QB would have thought “screw that” and looked off that to one of the underneath routes. Awful call from EB though.

Howell can ball and you can legitimately argue hes the best player on this team. He was carrying us today with some of those throws and that run on 3rd and 23 was awesome. But the pick was awful and the offense went completely cold after taking the lead. Some of thats on him but a lot is on EB.

Defense is basically the same without Young and Sweat. Good to see Forbes play better though. 

Howell and the pass game will give us a chance against almost every opponent, but its on the coaches to not F things up.

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

I would have given Crowder a smilie, what a great addition he has been

I thought we would have seen more blitzing with Chase and Montez gone...

Our best LB today was Antonio Pierce 

How many frowns have the refs earned this year? Ugh

Can't wait until we draft some OL for our really good QB

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I assume Terry ran the wrong route versus the coverage there. I can’t believe it was drawn up to end up with two receivers that close.

I think the running game design is where I have the bigger concerns about the offensive scheme. 

It’s possible. But when you watch the multiple route breakdowns, it happens more often than it should. Which belies it’s systemic.

And you won’t get any argument from me about the running game. Anything between the tackles is just a slog of humanity… which causes the backs to run into their own linemen or trip over them trying to bust out.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Howell can ball and you can legitimately argue hes the best player on this team. He was carrying us today with some of those throws and that run on 3rd and 23 was awesome. But the pick was awful and the offense went completely cold after taking the lead. Some of thats on him but a lot is on EB.

Defense is basically the same without Young and Sweat.

Disagree about Sweat/Young. I have no problem with trading them…. but they’ll give you a few splash plays a game. 

But our dline got no pressure on Jones. And while they held up on rush defense most of the time… they were also getting gashed at times.

I don’t think our defense is as good without them with the backups we have there for the moment. That was a bad Patriots offence that softened the blow.

But the team needs to upgrade there this off-season. Without fail or it’ll be disastrous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Or the 3rd and long pass to Pringle were Howell turned and lobbed. He had 2 receivers in the same exact area that one of the receivers dove for the pass because he thought it was for him and Pringle caught it like he anticipated his teammate was a defender.

I’m not a big EB fan but to me it seemed like Pringle went off-schedule once he saw Sam scrambling and just tried to make himself available. I don’t think the play was schemed up that way.

• Like 5