Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Performing Our Patriotic Duty

KDawg

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

One main problem with our win yesterday was Rivera survives for at least 1 more week as HC, I think defeat yesterday and at the Seahawks could have been the end. 

Outside of another Bears type embarrassment, I think the only real window for Ron to get sacked is week 14 during the bye. If not it will be at seasons end.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s not even so much the sacks I’m missing from those two, there’s also just a lack of chaos created.  Every QB we face is way too comfortable back there.  Our best plays on defense tend to be unforced errors.

I think that teams could now double team both Allen and Payne, knowing that we have reserves starting at DE. I'm glad both Sweat and Young are gone and looking forward to the draft more than any time during Statue Rivera's time as HC,  but I think for rest of season we won't see many sacks from our DL.

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s not even so much the sacks I’m missing from those two, there’s also just a lack of chaos created.  Every QB we face is way too comfortable back there.  Our best plays on defense tend to be unforced errors.

Agreed. Wondering Holcomb leaving had anything to do with this. It is like they are there to just eat blocks, frustrating

Just now, markmills67 said:

I think that teams could now double team both Allen and Payne, knowing that we have reserves starting at DE. I'm glad both Sweat and Young are gone and looking forward to the draft more than any time during Statue Rivera's time as HC,  but I think for rest of season we won't see many sacks from our DL.

Would love to see more blitzes to off set that, 4 man rush is just not cutting it. Thinking as bad as the back 7 looks in coverage though we wont see many blitzes.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

they are facing doubles, but not as often as you’d think.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, method man said:

You are not beating the Seahawks if the plan is to bring 4. Geno will kill you from a clean pocket if he has all day. They need to send their athletes like Davis and Quan on blitzes

And for the love of God, don't put Forbes on DK Metcalf. He'll get tossed around worse than a 2 year old vs a pitbull!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

And for the love of God, don't put Forbes on DK Metcalf. He'll get tossed around worse than a 2 year old vs a pitbull!

That too. Let him stay on Lockett and let Fuller or BSJ take Metcalf. Think it was Fuller who did a good job on him in 2021

• Like 1

I noticed Larsen giving up a pressure yesterday but i didn't zero is on him.  Bullock rewatches games.  So it sounds like his take is Larsen has improved the protections but hasn't been great as a pure blocker.  Regardless, changing the protections alone clearly is a big help along with the play calling.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

This season for me is all about Sam Howell. And each week he looks more and more like the real deal  If they can ever find him a way to get him a clean pocket, like we give virtually every opposing QB, he can do real damage.  The deep sideline throw under pressure to Terry on yet another 3rd and long conversion, was a special throw and we don't see too many special throws.

Very happy and somewhat relieved that Forbes stepped up, but you gotta catch that pick because turnovers was why he was drafted.

I've seen enough of D Brown.  Dotson had more drops, what is up with guys who are supposed to be playmakers?

The changes on the OL have resulted in noticeable improvement. Some of it was play calling but the protection was clearly better.

Fuller has been by far the best CB this year and is having a good season.

I'm in the camp that wants to lose out and give the new group the most draft capital.  But I can't root for BB and we won't be picking top 5 anyway so if this win dropped them from 8 to 11 I'm OK with that.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Replacing Gates with Larsen and adding Crowder as a returner and stealing play time at WR has produced big differences.

Wish there was other similar moves to improve play...

Paul over Charles, too. I think Larson and Paul coming in at the same time was a boon. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Thinking on it overnight, this win shows exactly what the Commanders are this year--yet another one of those "lower middle" teams that Ron specializes in. Not actually bad, but not actually good, either.

Howell has the potential to be the real deal, I think. I'm hoping next year's administration will help make it happen.

The DL was noticeably worse without Young and Sweat, but I also noticed that the Pats often focused on quick-developing plays. Not that it helped them much with Mac's atrocious throws all day.

25 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Replacing Gates with Larsen and adding Crowder as a returner and stealing play time at WR has produced big differences.

Would be nice if there was a defensive equivalent. 

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Thinking on it overnight, this win shows exactly what the Commanders are this year--yet another one of those "lower middle" teams that Ron specializes in. Not actually bad, but not actually good, either.

Howell has the potential to be the real deal, I think. I'm hoping next year's administration will help make it happen.

The DL was noticeably worse without Young and Sweat, but I also noticed that the Pats often focused on quick-developing plays. Not that it helped them much with Mac's atrocious throws all day.

As bad as the D played at times yesterday, with just middling QB play and middling receiver play it could have been much worse. Though their receiver's did make a couple of really nice catches among the drops.

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Would be nice if there was a defensive equivalent. 

As bad as the D played at times yesterday, with just middling QB play and middling receiver play it could have been much worse. Though their receiver's did make a couple of really nice catches among the drops.

Seeing LBers like Van Noy and Cunningham who were signable after TC, go on to have good seasons is annoying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Seeing LBers like Van Noy and Cunningham who were signable after TC, go on to have good seasons is annoying.

LB continues to be the glaring weakness on this team. Davis has his moments but overall he is not good (not 1st round good for sure). I also don't think the way he is used is to his strengths and puts him in bad situations. Was the big run yesterday his gap responsibility?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

LB continues to be the glaring weakness on this team. Davis has his moments but overall he is not good (not 1st round good for sure). I also don't think the way he is used is to his strengths and puts him in bad situations. Was the big run yesterday his gap responsibility?

Yeah, he should have been in that hole, but he over-delayed on a crosser.

46 minutes ago, method man said:

Seattle is not a very good team - bit of a fraud. Look at who they have beat and who they have lost to. Their one impressive win is vs the Lions. They have lost to the Packers and Rams. They got exposed vs the Ravens yesterday

I don’t think Seattle is a very good team but I’d put them a notch above this team and they have a major home field advantage, from a travel and crowd standpoint.  Geno is a better QB than Jones and doesn’t leave that many plays on the field.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think we have a sleeper in Pringle.....he seems to be clutch at times. 

• Like 1

My observations:

• Our defense is still bad but looked more active today.  Except for the big TD run, they seemed to be running until the whistle.  There were some energy on the stunts and blitzes as well. 
  • Forbes looked like a professional football player.  I liked how Fuller stopped him from over celebrating after one pass breakup. 
  • Offense has tremendous potential, but the wideouts HAVE to work on their hands.  They can't count on Howell to deliver prefect balls.
  • Howell is a good QB.  It's incredible that are a subset of fans are trashing him. 
  • The running game looked like it was about to turn the corner but EB went pass happy (while productive).  It would have been cool to see Rodriguez get some.
  • I've never seem a Patriots team make so many unforced errors. 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Outside of another Bears type embarrassment, I think the only real window for Ron to get sacked is week 14 during the bye. If not it will be at seasons end.

I cant see any moves being made until the end of the season. It would take something major for that to change. 

• Thumb up 1