Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

What the F does that even mean really? 😂

I go back to St. Juste saying how hard the defense was to pick up and how they seemed to do more thinking than attacking under old man Jack. It was great to hear Whitt talk about moving guys around, creating disguises and mismatches. I always think about how the Eagles moved Reggie White around and how the NYG moved LT around at any time. As Joe Gibbs would say, there was really no game planning against them because they'd line up at different places throughout the game. When Whitt said you have to prove yourself in practice to be a focal point guy on gameday that's putting guys in position to make plays which equals $$$$$ for them. Isn't it two years in a row now where Dallas had a guy have like 9 picks? Diggs and Bland? That likely isn't by accident.....hopefully that's Forbes next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

But the blind optimism is obnoxious. Nobody in this front office or coaching staff has earned that.

There is no such thing as blind optimism. Blind faith yes, but not optimism. Optimism is hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something. We haven't had that around here for a very long time.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RVAskins said:

Optimism is hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something. 

Hopefulness and confidence stems from a certain level of ‘certainty’ (knowing). Which is derived by the quality and quantity of references. And if anyone here has any level of knowing…. which can only have derived from previous history/past… then the only way anyone could derive any high degree of optimism based would require denial/ignoring (ie. blindness) their previous coaching history. Because they’ve all failed many times and have been fired repeatedly. 

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Hopefulness and confidence stems from a certain level of ‘certainty’ (knowing). Which is derived by the quality and quantity of references. And if anyone here has any level of knowing…. which can only have derived from previous history/past… then the only way anyone could derive any high degree of optimism based would require denial/ignoring (ie. blindness) their previous coaching history. Because they’ve all failed many times and have been fired repeatedly. 

Yes, we have certainty that Snyder is gone and Harris knows how to run sports franchises. And we finally have a real FO structure with top talent. So optimistic for the future and these hirings. 

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Almost this entire board picked the team to win 9-13 games LAST YEAR!!! :rofl89:

😂😂😂 Delulu. 

I mean we were starting basically a rookie so that optimism never made much sense to me. I didn't think we would be 2nd pick bad but I didn't think we'd win more thab 6 or 7 games.

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

😂😂😂 Delulu. 

I mean we were starting basically a rookie so that optimism never made much sense to me. I didn't think we would be 2nd pick bad but I didn't think we'd win more thab 6 or 7 games.

Yeah, same here. I was still high with my 6-7 wins prediction and really the only reason I was that high was because that's what Ron Rivera is all about.

I even mentioned it on that thread how I couldn't believe that after all these years the vast majority of posters had this bad team with a winning record.

4 hours ago, Conn said:

Wonder if they’ve already talked to Reaves about re-signing with a new contract, since he’s a FA

It's a no brainer. He is not going to be expensive coming off a partially torn ACL. Need to keep our first team All Pro / special teams leader

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I go back to St. Juste saying how hard the defense was to pick up and how they seemed to do more thinking than attacking under old man Jack. It was great to hear Whitt talk about moving guys around, creating disguises and mismatches. I always think about how the Eagles moved Reggie White around and how the NYG moved LT around at any time. As Joe Gibbs would say, there was really no game planning against them because they'd line up at different places throughout the game. When Whitt said you have to prove yourself in practice to be a focal point guy on gameday that's putting guys in position to make plays which equals $$$$$ for them. Isn't it two years in a row now where Dallas had a guy have like 9 picks? Diggs and Bland? That likely isn't by accident.....hopefully that's Forbes next year.

Just to play devils advocate… you think more when schemes are more complicated. A constant movement of personnel adds to the complication levels. Different coverage roles, gap responsible, reads/keys, alignments and overall roles… and leads to more thinking… not less. 

Of course, moving guys around and creating positive match ups is a great plan. 

But none of this in no way means they won’t be thinking more. Hopefully the thinking will be more streamlined and less chaotic, which is the usual pitfall for a defense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just to play devils advocate… you think more when schemes are more complicated. A constant movement of personnel adds to the complication levels. Different coverage roles, gap responsible, reads/keys, alignments and overall roles… and leads to more thinking… not less. 

Of course, moving guys around and creating positive match ups is a great plan. 

But none of this in no way means they won’t be thinking more. Hopefully the thinking will be more streamlined and less chaotic, which is the usual pitfall for a defense.

Moving around more will cause more thinking pre-snap. The hope is that post-snap, none of the players have to think anymore, because they simply react to the training and the stimuli in front of them.

9 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Moving around more will cause more thinking pre-snap. The hope is that post-snap, none of the players have to think anymore, because they simply react to the training and the stimuli in front of them.

They still have to do a ton of thinking post snap, too. When you move your responsibility changes. And with modern day motion offenses the majority of the thinking happens post snap. Offenses are designed to make you think post snap. Cloud your reads. 

The hope is that they get enough reps against every situation in each coverage and from their various alignments that it becomes a quick process. But the best are always thinking. 

Ray Lewis analyzed every single play he saw. He watched film and prepped so that his post snap and pre snap recognition was almost instantaneous. That was his work ethic that made that happen.

• Like 4

Yeah- we'll likely lose Whitt within a few years. That, however, will mean that he was very good and would more than likely mean that we were very good. So, I'll take that should that end up being the case. Unfortunately, getting your coaching staff raided is part of being a good football team, but Quinn appears to be very well connected and respected throughout the league, so if and when we're a good team that other teams poach coaches from, I'm confident Quinn can replace them with quality coaches.

And yes- Whitt gets you fired up! Seems like a smart guy and a great communicator- guys are going to play like their hairs on fire for this guy! Has a little Mike Tomlin edge to him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Whitt might be able to save the last draft, Martin was coming on at the end but Forbes clearly had a bad rookie season

I wonder if Ron demands a HOF jacket if these guys from the last draft turn into pro bowlers.  🤔

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I wonder if Ron demands a HOF jacket if these guys from the last draft turn into pro bowlers.  🤔

If they turn it arouns and become pro-bowlers, they should all take turns and kick him in the nuts for wasting their early pro development

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’ll echo the positive comments. Both of these guys sound bent on getting the best they can from the roster and seems like the diverse/quality staff is going to be big.  I’ll be real curious how the Frankenstein approach to an offensive and defensive scheme will pan out.  Obviously possible it leads to a disjointed affair, but the lack of ego, the implied creativity, and potential for unity/buy in by each coach is exciting.

I was a little taken aback that they did current defensive player evaluations in a day (or a couple of hours maybe), especially the comment (paraphrasing) “each coach gave a one liner about each player”.  Not saying it’s a bad thing necessarily, just surprised it would boil down to that basic of a level. 

As to last year’s record predictions, we had a very good defense in ‘22, added a proven offensive scheme (lol), and were starting a qb with far more talent than TH.  In hindsight it looks crazy to have expect a 1-3 win improvement, but at the time, eh….

• Like 2

Just now, skinny21 said:

I was a little taken aback that they did current defensive player evaluations in a day (or a couple of hours maybe), especially the comment (paraphrasing) “each coach gave a one liner about each player”.  Not saying it’s a bad thing necessarily, just surprised it would boil down to that basic of a level. 

They're probably just routine, barebones evaluations for now, with more thorough evaluations coming in the next few days. 

I mean our D was pretty much trash last year. You don't need to spend much time watching film to see that St. Juste is still a walking DPI, Forbes can't cover bigger guys 1 on 1 in man, the edge rush disappeared after we traded Sweat, the highly paid DTs underperformed, etc. 

• Like 2

The most important comment came from Kingsbury on adapting to the players (strengths and weaknesses).  Football is like ordering uniforms: it's not one size fits all.  You have to take the nuances in the individuals to get it right. Glad no one is trying to ram-rod the players into packages or an ideal... It will take a few draft cycles to get what they want while working with what they have.  Common sense, but great to hear.

• Like 2