Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Scot was dissappointing but has a better run IMO that some give him credit for.

If you get 3 players out of a draft its typically perceived well

2015 was relatively good.  Scheriff was the only All Pro in the Dan regime.  Preston Smith is still playing, good player.   Maybe the best 2nd round pick in Dan's regime.  Crowder was a good pick.  That's 3.  Jarrett looked good his rookie year but alas had a career ending injury.  Reiter had a longish career at center 

2016 was bad but heck we had worse.   Kendall Fuller and Ioannidis with decent careers.   Sudfeld bounced around the league as a backup. He also traded down a few times amassing 3 picks for the 2017 draft.  How many GMs have we had that traded picks in the current draft for the next draft?  Zero.  Scot was the only one.

Even if I ran with the idea that they were both bad drafts.  Scot had two things about him that we haven't had since.  He was trying to build a type especially on defense.  As Keim liked to say Bruce-Ron didn't have a particular type, they were all over the place.  And trading down to get picks for later on was so anti-Dan.  One anayltics guy said he talked to Dan about this once, advising to amass future draft picks but Dan had no interest.  For Dan the future is now.  Scot was the only one to get him off that track albiet just for one year -- granted in a more modest way because they did this in the mid rounds. 

he thought doctson was good and for years after he busted insisted he was good

he doesn't know ****

but it's dan and bruce's fault.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1st post.  What I hope will be a memorable day.  Either way, a new chapter in history of this franchise with the Peters hire today.  Looking at the 49ers reaction tells all!

Now go get a offensive coach to help with a new QB.  Go Skins!

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Talking to a buddy of mine who's a 49ers fan, he's a bit annoyed that Peters is gone but also realized that they couldn't keep him forever.  He broke down the 49ers as Peters doing the scouting, Lynch finds the free agents and Marathe does the contract negotiations/cap wizardy.

He also said that he recently learned that the first draft afte ra team hires a new GM isn't typically that GM's draft board.  Feels that Peters' first complete draft for us will be next year.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Happy about this move.  This is the move that I wanted to see.  A good GM candidate coming from a strong team.

I think this is a bit unfair to SM.  He was doing pretty well here, he just got axed for whatever reason, I can't remember.  But I remember he hit on a few good players in the draft and I think was turning it around decently.  

"Well" is all relative, I think.  Two years isn't really much time, but the personnel moves were iffy.  The best draft pick was Scherff, but after that the best were Fuller, Ioaniddis, Smith, and Crowder.  Austin Reiter as a 7th rd pick turned into a decent player, albeit on another team. 

None of the trades were worthwhile. They essentially traded the pick that turned into Tyler Lockett for picks that we turned into Arie Kuoandjio, Matt Jones, and Kyshoen Jarrett.  The only free agent that really seemed to work out was Vernon Davis.  

Edited by justice98
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, FrFan said:

There's a  "I said it first" contest going on between him and Florio

Florio can go **** himself gently up the ass with a chainsaw.  

8 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Florio the now saying the hiring of Peters might have been wrapped up before the season ended,  probably wants us to lose a draft pick.

** See above...

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, DarrellsMyHero28 said:

Very curious about the GM hire being completed first vs. President of Football Operations.

It makes me wonder if the Commanders are still thinking of hiring Dawn Aponte as HOFO. She was talked about quite a bit for a while and then you stopped hearing her name. I can see Josh Harris adding her to head Football Operations. I don't see any threat to Peters if that happens.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

"Well" is all relative, I think.  Two years isn't really much time, but the personnel moves were iffy.  The best draft pick was Scherff, but after that the best were Fuller, Ioaniddis, and Crowder.  Austin Reiter as a 7th rd pick turned into a decent player, albeit on another team. 

None of the trades were worthwhile. They essentially traded the pick that turned into Tyler Lockett for picks that we turned into Arie Kuoandjio, Matt Jones, and Kyshoen Jarrett.  The only free agent that really seemed to work out was Vernon Davis.  

Ioaniddis was a Gruden pick not necessarily a Scott Pick. 

Just now, RVAskins said:

It makes me wonder if the Commanders are still thinking of hiring Dawn Aponte as HOFO. She was talked about quite a bit for a while and then you stopped hearing her name. I can see Josh Harris adding her to head Football Operations. I don't see any threat to Peters if that happens.

I believe it was Keim who said that titles haven't been fixed, but that having Peters as GM gives him room to be promoted within the organization if they like his work.

15 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

*Rant on* Right JP Finlay. You also said the GM announcement would come next Wednesday. This shows you among others have any real knowledge. You're just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks. *Rant off* Carry on everyone.

Ben Johnson and every other coach in the playoffs also can't be interviewed until after January 22nd and then only if their team been eliminated from the playoffs. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

5 minutes ago, foreverbandg said:

1st post.  What I hope will be a memorable day.  Either way, a new chapter in history of this franchise with the Peters hire today.  Looking at the 49ers reaction tells all!

Now go get an offensive coach to help with a new QB.  Go Skins!

Welcome fine sir!!

49ers’ Adam Peters and Tariq Ahmad discuss the draft

What does it do for the scouting process when you have a roster that looks like there's virtually a starter at every spot, the depth looks pretty good? Does that change how you approach it and where your eyes go when it comes to evaluating the talent?

TA: "Yeah, so it doesn't change the process. We're evaluating everyone through the fall as if we're starting the roster from scratch to get the value exactly correct. But, as we talk about the players as we go in the winter and then, during the April meetings, we compare them to the guys on our roster and how they would fit in. So, initially it doesn't change at all, but then we have to be able to clearly communicate what their exact value is a little bit later in the process."

So, are you basically in essence scouting your own guys too to figure out?

TA: "Exactly, so everyone has a specialty that they focus on in those April meetings, and that's one of the things that we ask them to do, evaluate our own roster and stack those guys amongst the guys on our roster."

Following up on that, when you're kind of stacking those guys, say you've got two guys that are pretty close, one guy maybe has more traits, more upside, but maybe not get it for a year, versus a guy who's got a little more polish, you know that he's getting it. Do you have to think about that it might be worth going for the guy who might take a year, because then we'll have a spot for him? Does that factor into it at all?

TA: "I would say that our job is to communicate exactly what you just said. Communicate those differences, also understand who that person is, who can reach their potential, and clearly communicate that to the Assistant GM, to the GM, to the coaching staff and just help make a good decision."

AP: "Thanks for including me. It's really communicating that to John and Kyle and making sure they know the total package and what this player can be now and in the future and give them all the information to make the best decision."

It seemed like two themes that were through a lot of your draft picks were speed and then also, guys that were team captains. How important are both of those features? I know that doesn't mean that they're going to be successful on the field, but those were kind of the recurring things we saw.

TA: "Those are two things that are very important to us. The 49er, the what it takes to be a successful 49er football player is something that we emphasize. We emphasize it in the preseason. We emphasize it during winter meetings. We emphasize it prior to our April meetings. Those are two things that are extremely important to us. So, it is communicated. It's something that they try to gather as much information on as possible. Like, a captain, but what is a captain? A captain is a leader that can connect, can motivate and so, those are things that we're working on as we get into the schools and that's what we're communicating when we get into those meetings."

You guys talked about the collaborative process. I noticed there was a lot of talk about defensive coordinator Steve Wilks. It seemed that he was calling prospects, even letting them know some of the good news, I think yesterday with S Ji'Ayir Brown. When a new coach does come in, is it hard to get them kind of integrated in that whole flow? How does that whole process work, because it seemed that he was very involved from the get-go.

AP: "Yeah, with Steve it was real seamless. I think we talked about it before, or maybe I talked with you about how seamless it was from the get-go from free agency and then going into the draft it was the same way, it was like he was part of us right away. He's a really smart guy. He communicates exactly what he's looking for. Eyes, hands, hips and feet. I've heard that about 30 times but it's the real thing, but he has been about as integral as he could be in such a short time, and he's not afraid to speak his mind but he's also real respectful of everybody else's opinions, and it's been really good so far."

• Like 3

Just now, RVAskins said:

I don't think so because if they are going to hire the person who the GM reports to, you'd like to hire that person first.  Or else you're hiring a leader having already hired the subordinate.

Remember when Dan and Vinny hired Zorn and whatshisname as DC after Gibbs left and then went looking for a HC?  It would be kindof like that.

There's a chance they still do something, but I think if they were going that way, they would have done it already.  Just a hunch.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He also said that he recently learned that the first draft afte ra team hires a new GM isn't typically that GM's draft board.  Feels that Peters' first complete draft for us will be next year

I gotta think that since he was heavily involved in creating the niners draft board for this year and knows how he ranks the college players and also has 3 and a half months until the draft he has plenty of time to create a new draft board based off his opinions. 

I just can't see a new gm coming in and using the former guys draft board especially since that regime was terrible at drafting and lost their jobs due to a 4 win season.

That said I admittedly know very little about the inner workings of that process.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

So, do people actually believe that the only two times a franchise traded 3 #1s to move up for a QB both happened with Kyle Shanahan in tow, but that he had nothing to do with it????

these are same people who believe Dan had nothing to do with all the ****ty QB moves over the years in spite of the obvious pattern.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wondering what the potential link is between Peters and Ben Johnson that has so many people so sure he's the top choice.

To me, Bobby Slowik makes more sense. He came from SF with Demeco Ryans. There is a direct tie there with Peters, plus Slowik started here.

I don't think Peters is making that call, at least not alone.  Peters is going to be added to the advisory committee who's going to interview HCs.  

There's no way Harris lets Peters, who's been here 5 minutes, make that choice by himself.

Also, I'd be willing to bet the "ok, so what are your impressions of the HC candidates" question was a lengthy one discussed during the interview process.

• Thumb up 1