Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Giants - Failed to take advantage of the falling Giant!

zCommander

3 minutes ago, bh32 said:

I know a lot of people don't like Jay,but I feel if he had the  same control over the roster as Ron does that he would of had way more success than Ron has.

Could be.  I didn't love Jay as a leader of men.  But he came off like a good guy who was given a bad hand.  Some act like he was Jim Zorn part 2.  I didn't feel that way.  The irony is we only had one coach during Dan's era who had two winning seasons back to back, that was Jay.  Granted just barely but still he's the only one to pull that off.  Rivera likely leaves here with not a single winning season.  

We can do better than Jay, and we can do better than Ron.  But yeah i don't have any aminus towards Jay.  Likeable guy and smarter about football than some here give him credit for IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.  I didn't love Jay as a leader of men.  But he came off like a good guy who was given a bad hand.  Some act like he was Jim Zorn part 2.  I didn't feel that way.  The irony is we only had one coach during Dan's era who had two winning seasons back to back, that was Jay.  Granted just barely but still he's the only one to pull that off.  Rivera likely leaves here with not a single winning season.  

We can do better than Jay, and we can do better than Ron.  But yeah i don't have any aminus towards Jay.  Likeable guy and smarter about football than some here give him credit for IMO.

Jay knew how to run a offense..what did him in was the DC's he was saddled with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I get the sentiment and have no issues if they had the conversation behind closed doors but how long before the vanilla ice cream shows up? Not saying it's going to get to that but still...I just don't agree with an owner making those types of public comments.

I would if it got results...again, I may be biased here...

Washington’s running game is grounded again: If there were ever a game for Washington’s pass-heavy attack to get its running game going, this figured to be it. The Giants were allowing 5.1 yards per carry and had allowed at least 120 rushing yards in every game. Washington running back Brian Robinson Jr. had a four-yard touchdown run after the Giants muffed a punt early in the third quarter, but he managed only 23 yards on eight carries. The second-year pro has rushed for 109 yards in his past four games combined.

Washington’s screen game, which has produced big plays in recent weeks, was virtually nonexistent against the Giants’ aggressive defense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/22/commanders-giants-live-score-nfl/

• Sad 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt in my mind Jay was a better talent evaluator than Ron is. From stuff he has said, he also understands the strategy piece of personnel like taking certain positions certain rounds. It says a lot that McCloughan called Jay a better talent evaluator of any HC he has worked with 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, method man said:

No doubt in my mind Jay was a better talent evaluator than Ron is. From stuff he has said, he also understands the strategy piece of personnel like taking certain positions certain rounds. It says a lot that McCloughan called Jay a better talent evaluator of any HC he has worked with 

True.  Jay in a recent podcast mentioned he wanted Tyler Lockett but when they traded out of the pick they lost out when Seattle took him.  As you know batting 500 in the draft is a good run, some hits and some misses for everyone.  But Jay seemed to have a good eye at times.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bh32 said:

The problem with Magic making these comments is he is not majority owner and it can be kind of off putting to future gm's or coaches.

I want to believe there's only so many open positions in the NFL.

To me, it appears Harris is potentially talking through Magic or at least okaying his comments before be makes them.

This was a common complaint we had of Snyder that he stayed in his high tower and we couldn't tell if he really cared anymore.

I'm not going to pretend I can have it both ways, new ownership listened to feeling ignored, if this is there was of showing they are paying attention to how we feel from game to game, so be it far as I'm concerned.

I say let it play out for a little while, these folks reputation proceed them in a way that id like to see where this is going before assuming folks see this as just another sign of dysfunction.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Jay knew how to run a offense..what did him in was the DC's he was saddled with.

He knew how to run the passing game, he never had the running game synched with the passing game and so play action was way less effective than it could have been.

He hired the DCs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

The thing is you have to vary when you run, EB is way to predictable. Quick slant to Terry on first down picks up six yards puts you in a down and distance that has the defense guessing. It opens up the run, gets TM involved early and doesn't put reassure on the O line and Howell. Its so damn predictable what EB is calling and it puts the entire offense on the back front. Go hurry up...do something to help them out.

My favorite EB play call is when we get 6 on 1st down and then go empty backfield on 2nd and 4 so the defense knows we have to pass....in an advantageous down/distance for us? 

Crank up the sack machine. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I want to believe there's only so many open positions in the NFL.

To me, it appears Harris is potentially talking through Magic or at least okaying his comments before be makes them.

This was a common complaint we had of Snyder that he stayed in his high tower and we couldn't tell if he really cared anymore.

I'm not going to pretend I can have it both ways, new ownership listened to feeling ignored, if this is there was of showing they are paying attention to how we feel from game to game, so be it far as I'm concerned.

I say let it play out for a little while, these folks reputation proceed them in a way that id like to see where this is going before assuming folks see this as just another sign of dysfunction.

Yeah I agree.  I doubt that Magic doesn't run it by these guys.  

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

My favorite EB play call is when we get 6 on 1st down and then go empty backfield on 2nd and 4 so the defense knows we have to pass....in an advantageous down/distance for us? 

Absolutely right. 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

That really is so ****ing stupid.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I follow now.  But considering you are typically vocally anti-run. -- an extremiest position that doubles down on that sort of flows with that, so it was hard for me to pick up on the sarcasm.

If I was calling plays I would skew away from running on first down and 2nd and 10.  But I do believe in running the ball from time to time.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I agree.  I doubt that Magic doesn't run it by these guys.  

Magic may be running it by them ,but what's the point of doing it if your not gonna act on doing anything during the season? Everyone knows Ron & companies ass is cooked at seasons end..to me it just looks like a dysfunctional ownership. 

I had been trumpeting its Jahan Dotson Day. Turns out its Jahan Dropson Day. Dropping passes faster than dropped from fantasy teams on Tuesday.

Sure that throw was behind him so I'll give him a small pass.  It's odd though how not a single person will ever blame a QB when the pass is behind a WR if he can re-contort his body and get a hand on it despite running near full speed away from the ball.

• Haha 1

Just now, bh32 said:

Magic may be running it by them ,but what's the point of doing it if your not gonna act on doing anything during the season? Everyone knows Ron & companies ass is cooked at seasons end..to me it just looks like a dysfunctional ownership. 

It doesn't bother me if Magic wants to sent out some warnings.  It doesn't feel dysfunctional to me.

Not sure everyone knows that Ron and company are gone.  Many assumed it.  But not everyone here thought that was a done deal.  Tonight it feels like everyone feels that way.

• Like 1

I was at a softball tournament all day today and couldn't see the game, but from watching the highlights, Howell could have ran that in for a td on our last offensive play. We had two Wide receivers open on that side Howell rolled out at with one corner trying to cover both not including Dotson. I'm not knocking Howell,  I just wish in that situation he needs to use his legs in a situation like that.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

It doesn't bother me if Magic wants to sent out some warnings.  It doesn't feel dysfunctional to me.

Not sure everyone knows that Ron and company are gone.  Many assumed it.  But not everyone here thought that was a done deal.  Tonight it feels like everyone feels that way.

So when a new regime is hired is he gonna run to Twitter to post after every loss? 

• Confused 1

The problem with firing Ron mid season - aside from the look to the rest of the league as an org that’s already had difficulty attracting talent - is he lets JDR and EB have full control of their sides of the ball. 

so… are you gonna promote the guy that’s trying to get your QB killed, or the guy that seems to think the best game plan is to let the other team rack up a bunch of points for 2 quarters before you start actually playing defense?

they have no one to turn to for interim coach. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He is referring to himself and his retirement.

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

The problem with firing Ron mid season - aside from the look to the rest of the league as an org that’s already had difficulty attracting talent - is he lets JDR and EB have full control of their sides of the ball. 

so… are you gonna promote the guy that’s trying to get your QB killed, or the guy that seems to think the best game plan is to let the other team rack up a bunch of points for 2 quarters before you start actually playing defense?

it still is something different Parkedboat Ron

Edited by ClaytoAli

4 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I was at a softball tournament all day today and couldn't see the game, but from watching the highlights, Howell could have ran that in for a td on our last offensive play. We had two Wide receivers open on that side Howell rolled out at with one corner trying to cover both not including Dotson. I'm not knocking Howell,  I just wish in that situation he needs to use his legs in a situation like that.

Eh, I don’t know about that. When he spun out, he had 18 more yards to go. When you freeze it. There’s at least one guy who looked like he would have had the angle pretty easily.

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Ken Zampese can be interim HC as a former OC. He doesn't even have a real position on the staff this year - his title is "Senior Offensive Advisor/Game Management" but EB runs the offense, which means it's essentially a No-Show job - so it's not like elevating him would disrupt continuity anywhere (though not like that continuity is worth anything at the moment, anyway).

• Like 2